It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass civil disobedience? CT gun owners refuse to register their firearms.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Well, that was a pretty massive fail of a law for the anti-gunners in CT.

Plus, that 47,916 number is just the numbers of firearms, not numbers of individuals.

Another source

www.theblaze.com...< br />

State police have not added up the total number of people who registered the 50,000 firearms, Vance said

Plus, roughly 85% of the covered semi-automatic rifles in the new law are Not registered.

At roughly 50,000 applications, officials estimate that as little as 15 percent of the covered semi-automatic rifles have actually been registered with the state.

That's what I call a pretty good failed attempt.

ETA - Tossing in an extra article.

www.examiner.com...

a local newspaper estimates that there could be over 350,000 unregistered AR15s in the state of Connecticut which makes the 47,000 applications received seem insignificant. While lawmakers who supported the new gun registration law thought that more people would abide, they were very wrong -- and that's sort of scary.

350,000 AR 15s? What about the other semi-auto rifles?
edit on 13-2-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
HAH! I love it when gubmint a-holeys get a "oh shnip what're we gonna do now" slap in the face.

edit on 14-2-2014 by CellDamage420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   

HOLY MOLY...

That is not going to go over well.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Good. At least the Northeast isn't a total lost cause. Good to see people flipping the government the bird, even when its passive resistance.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Good. At least the Northeast isn't a total lost cause.

New Hampshire is also fighting back.

www.wmur.com...

A New Hampshire bill that would have expanded background checks for gun sales and transfers to include gun shows, the Internet and flea markets was killed by the state's House of Representatives on Wednesday.

A closely divided House debated the issue for two hours -- at one point voting to study the matter rather than impose the background checks -- but later voted 242-118 to kill the bill after supporters tried to postpone final action in a bid to either salvage the checks or change the study's focus.

The NH attempted law wasn't really even too close to universal background checks, and it failed miserably. It just included gun shows, the internet, and flea markets....basically, a venue where FLL's were present.

The law even excluded sales between private individuals.

An exception would have been made for noncommercial private sales between individuals not prohibited by federal law from buying a gun.

The Northeast has been fighting back against anti-gunners, but the states like CT, MD, and NY tend to overshadow the other states there.

ETA - Gotta love the motto of NH - Live Free or Die
edit on 14-2-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

ETA 2 - As for other NE states, Vermont has very gun friendly laws except they don't allow sound suppressors. I believe a few weeks ago a bill was introduced that would allow suppressors, following a few other states that already allow them.
edit on 14-2-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Here's what i think will happen.
They, the Feds will look for some loose Cannons who they, the feds know would never give up their weapons until they are prized from their cold dead fingers. They, the feds will then take them alive or dead, then they will go for others who they know are all mouth and no trousers and wont put up much of a fight and stick them in jail.
After this has happened a few time you will see a mass scramble of people registering their Guns without so much as a quiet peep.
People talk a good game but when push comes to shove the majority will # themselves.

edit on 14-2-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
50,000? 100,000? Maybe even more??? GOOD!

Now..be good state troopers up there and be sure and arrest every last one of them. Then prosecute every last one of them ..and no deals now..after all, even the President and Vice President themselves went out supporting CT's efforts. It's a serious crime! Right?

100,000 felons needing incarceration and all the care that comes with should break the whole state budget, not to mention their court and corrections system inside a year!

Way to go CT! Make new laws to order people to do things they won't do...then call them felony offenders for not following the pipe dream law of idiot legislators. The American Dream..21st Century style.

The State has already said and I'm surprised the Courant didn't print it, as they love to go after Malloy, that there are no plans to actively prosecute or arrest anyone with regards to this law, everyone here knows it's largely symbolic and had to be done to give the appearance of "doing something" after Newtown.

That being said, contrary to popular belief, Connecticut citizens have always been very "Constitutionally Minded" and take the bill of rights very seriously, after all we are "the Constitution State". Also even though there's been a huge war of words, again to give the appearance of "doing something" Colt firearms is part of our heritage here, and they will never actually leave the state, they may open new manufacturing somewhere else, but their corporate identity is bound to Hartford, and thus they will stay and we will continue to have this love/hate relationship with our guns here.

You would have to live here to understand the nuances, but suffice it to say, as soon as Malloy is out of office, that law will be repealed.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

New Hampshire isn't as "free" a state as people would like to think. While they are die hard on some laws (guns are tricky up there, there are some really odd RSA's dealing with gun crime) they are almost draconian on other laws, Live Free or Die is great in speech, but one only has to pull out NH's RSA's (Revised Statues Annotated) and look to see the massive contradictions in their rules.

Of course I loved living in NH, and wish I still could, but...

Edit to add: As I understand it, the reason the bill was voted down in the NH House was that it was violating some old standing NH law on medical privacy that they take very seriously, not because they didn't want stricter gun laws.. Good to know the context of the reasoning before screaming "New Hampshire is fighting back against Gun Restrictions"

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Well, I can say I haven't lived in Connecticut, even if it really felt like it sometimes. I just had years of week in/week out across the North East as if my company thought no place else in the nation had freight to move. Remember the CT Toll road? I started my career just as that was being put to bed...roughly.

I suppose it's all relative though. CT seems a good and free state to some....but from Missouri's version of freedom, the Northeast looks like a police state to me. Perhaps from CT, you'd look at NYC or other far WORSE areas to have a relative comparison that feels better, which is fair enough. Everyone wants to find reasons to say where they live isn't 'that bad'. Again, perhaps it isn't and goodness knows the very distinct lack of laws governing everything imaginable several Midwestern states enjoy may not be an environment some would even want or be comfortable with.

I said what I did about prosecuting everyone...not because I really mean I want to see gun owners arrested en masse, but because CT SHOULD be FORCED to do that very thing if they want to push such an insane set of laws. It would bring it to a head FAST and put it to bed by force of people power. As it is, this law sounds like it'll just fester and sit for selective enforcement as cases come up to use it with. The worst of all worlds...IMO. It's going to be a 'Gotcha!' law people know about but don't think about until they live the felony charge for being hit with it.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

Exactly, people have been resisting the War on Drugs since the 80's and that hasn't been scaled back yet. Like you said, it is nice that people are standing up, but be realistic it's not going to change anything and overall is pretty insignificant. Heck it probably won't even get the law repealed.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Oh Rabbit
you will never hear me say CT is without problems LOL...

We have a health care system in state that is falling apart more rapidly than anywhere else in the US. We have a series of rather draconian responses to the Newtown shooting that have nothing to do with gun control, but rather turning schools into kiddie jails where parents are treated like criminals. We have a Dept of Children and Families that is totally out of control, a governor who cares more about making trips to other states and countries than running his own state, and before I forget, a double gas tax that makes our gasoline some of the priciest in the nation..

And I understand your comment about they should have to be forced to enforce this law, it would clog up the courts for years to come, but, reality sets in and they know the law is wrong, the State Legislature WILL remove it either this session or next, and life will go on here..

We have lots of problems, the mindset of our citizens are not one of them thankfully..

eta: OH and yes i forgot this and I shouldn't have because i'm smack dab in the middle of it, we have a fight going on in our schools over Common Core overriding a disabled child's IEP, which is a direct violation of the laws... btu the teachers don't care..
edit on 1422014 by vkey08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesOpenMouthShut

This should not be about Connecticut, or any individual state. We are a country united. We should all stand together with all the peoples and states that are trying to keep our country free.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Urantia1111
I'm a bit confused. Isn't Newtown in Connecticut? Didn't evil assault weapons kill a whole kindergarden class there no too long ago? Perhaps these gun owners missed it on the news. More likely the day that happened they probably took their guns out to the garage and cut them up for scrap so nothing left to register. I'm sure that's it. No way could it be that the tragedy just wasn't nearly tragic enough to convince people they'd be better off totally defenseless.

What the anti gun pushers don't get is that folks generally relate the weaponless and innocent conditions that facilitate slaughter with how they will look one day, how there kids and grandkids will look one day without any means to defend themselves against a government slobbering mad juggernaut, mass civil unrest, criminals of all stripe, wild dogs and so on.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

SLAYER69

ketsuko
They can't prosecute all their legal gun owners who just decided not to comply. If they did, they'd be gutting their own tax base.

Be like a fart in a closed elevator...

Good for CT

Whaat ?

Then they would get labeled a 'terrorist' in possession of a 'WMD', and get sent to Gitmo.

Too right Good for CT.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

What the anti gun pushers don't get is that folks generally relate the weaponless and innocent conditions that facilitate slaughter with how they will look one day, how there kids and grandkids will look one day without any means to defend themselves against a government slobbering mad juggernaut, mass civil unrest, criminals of all stripe, wild dogs and so on.

I can hear it now!

The day of the zombie apocalypse. Them anti gunners saying 'Dammit, why did we ban them 'assault weapons' again' ?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

neo96
reply to post by Logarock

I can hear it now!

The day of the zombie apocalypse. Them anti gunners saying 'Dammit, why did we ban them 'assault weapons' again' ?

There is actually a zombie apocalypse manga that addresses this point. It's called High School of the Dead and in it the main characters come across a base camp where some of the survivors are advocating taking away the guns of the main characters because they believe that they'll use them to harm others and that zombies are still people. This fight goes on for a while until the camp gets overran and let's just say that things don't end well for that group of anti-gun nuts.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

eta: OH and yes i forgot this and I shouldn't have because i'm smack dab in the middle of it, we have a fight going on in our schools over Common Core overriding a disabled child's IEP, which is a direct violation of the laws... btu the teachers don't care..

Unfortunately, I can relate to that. We apparently got a bit too pushy with the district here and after a little Email campaign to slander and have our child's advocate removed from the case (which worked), they took our request for re-testing as an opportunity to now say a child who was 3 grade levels behind on reading a year ago is now at or above grade level according to their single test given. I.E...Now out of a good part of the special ed ..and I can say he's nothing like main stream 6th grade for reading.

I don't even know that getting him back into their version would matter tho, as you note there. Everything is cookie cutter, guided and pre-set. There isn't any creative adapting to help a child learn, just drill them to death to pass the required tests and move on, rinse and repeat.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

"A revolution doesn't have to involve any craziness..."

I hope that it remains that way. However, traditionally speaking the power structures of government do not make concessions. It's why women still make 75% of what a man does, and blacks make 65% of whites (as of 2009) holding other factors constant (age, experience, education, etc.)

While women believe they won "equality" it's still far from equal. And blacks believe they won the Civil Rights movement, it's why many Americans still have racist attitudes and things are far from equal for them. It's all done for appearance.

The revolution has not begun. However, our government is making sure things are put in place to adequately prepare for the inevitability. It may start in CT, depending on the desire of those gun owners to hold onto their guns and on how the CT government chooses to deal with those unregistered citizens.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...
so depending on actual ammount of people in non compliance(ive seen numbers from 20,000-100,000)that equals roughly:

1 field army (80,000-200,000 troops)

2-3 corps (20,000-45,000 troops)

or about 8-10 divisions(10,000-15,000 troops)

that seems like an awful lot of people to either try to arrest for felony charges and i would not want to be the officer who gets assigned to go door to door looking for these "unregistered" weapons,as depending on which source u read there can be upwards of 350,000 "unregistered assault" weapons in the state of CT

this might end up being one the largest civil disobedience actions in our nations history since the Boston tea party or the civil rights movement

if you live in CT start passing out flyers and posting them everywhere on jurry nullification as if/when they do come to arrest those in non compliance i feel that would be the best option at avoiding adding close to 100,000 k new felons

bearingarms.com...

bearingarms.com...

few more links relevant to the OP

forums.officer.com... a police fourm talking about non compliance in NY as well

www.huffingtonpost.com... colorado police refuse to enforce new gun laws as well

Other sheriffs told the newspaper that enforcement of the new gun laws will be "a very low priority." Fifty-five of Colorado's 62 elected sheriffs joined the lawsuit to overturn the new gun laws, which they call unconstitutional.

www.glennbeck.com...

www.nhregister.com... i guess they have a web site up now explaining the new regulations....not that may seem to want to comply either way

www.nhregister.com...

politicaloutcast.com... i guess the post office is now being blamed for why people arent registering them now?

In some cases, rebellion is an opportunity for the government. Your disobedience provides your political overlord with the excuse he is looking for to stomp you into the ground. But sometimes he really isn’t prepared to take action. While it is true sometimes rebellion is an opportunity for the government, it is also true that sometimes a new law is an opportunity for the people. If you defy the new law and the government is not prepared to take action to stomp you into the ground then they look weak and incompetent. So then they blame the post office. Read more at politicaloutcast.com...
< br />
en.wikipedia.org... some what relevant but more informative then any thing else

reason.com... NY isnt even trying to release numbers of those possibly in non compliance

lawenforcementtoday.com...

www.comeandtakeit.com... a paper on (in the authors opinion) when its time to start shooting.......also with a religous view so not all my like and or appreciate this one but figured a few may find it an interesting read(its a long one and not all optimistic)

piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com... is-an-opportunity-two-seconds-is-a-chance/ from peirs morgan...... interviewing the CT head cop on how he thinks the magazine restrictions matter......

"I just don't agree with it," said the Hinsdale County Sheriff, specifically referencing a law that limits the amount of bullets permissible in a given weapon. "There's a major concern which I concur with, that this is – based on, looking at history for the last 100 years – is that proverbial foot of the door, that it's a 15-round magazine today, it's a 10-round magazine tomorrow, and a no magazine a year from now."

ctcarry.com... CT concealed carry article (and link to their forum) on one citizen getting rail roaded by local cops(one of whom retired after alegations of him rigging over 100 pecies of evidence in his job)

sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com... link to a copy of a letter sent to what seems to be all the police departments in CT

15 February 2014 To the men and women of the Connecticut State Police and the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection: My name is Mike Vanderboegh. Few of you will know who I am, or even will have heard of the Three Percent movement that I founded, though we have been denounced on the national stage by that paragon of moral virtue, Bill Clinton. Three Percenters are uncompromising firearm owners who have stated very plainly for years that we will obey no further encroachments on our Second Amendment rights. Some of you, if you read this carelessly, may feel that it is a threat. It is not. Three Percenters also believe that to take the first shot in a conflict over principle is to surrender the moral high ground to the enemy. We condemn so-called collateral damage and terrorism such as that represented by the Oklahoma City Bombing and the Waco massacre. We are very aware that if you seek to defeat evil it is vital not to become the evil you claim to oppose. Thus, though this letter is certainly intended to deal with an uncomfortable subject, it is not a threat to anyone. However, it is important for everyone to understand that while we promise not to take the first shot over principle, we make no such promise if attacked, whether by common criminals or by the designated representatives of a criminal government grown arrogant and tyrannical and acting out an unconstitutional agenda under color of law. If we have any model, it is that of the Founding generation. The threat to public order and safety, unfortunately, comes from the current leaders of your state government who unthinkingly determined to victimize hitherto law-abiding citizens with a tyrannical law. They are the ones who first promised violence on the part of the state if your citizens did not comply with their unconstitutional diktat. Now, having made the threat (and placed the bet that you folks of the Connecticut State Police will meekly and obediently carry it out) they can hardly complain that others take them seriously and try by every means, including this letter, to avoid conflict.
only part of the letter as it is long but dude signed his name to it.....but pretty much its the guy asking the police if they want to be treated as the enemy or not

edit on 15-2-2014 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

TiedDestructor
Sheep just turned into wolves. Good job guys and gals!!!
Hrm, I 'd rather think of them as sheepdogs. Protectors of the flock. lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join