It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We’ve found the oldest star in the known universe – and it’s right on our galactic doorstep

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

BigfootNZ

soficrow
reply to post by andy06shake

VERY cool. But I personally want that star to have an equally cool name. SM0313 just doesn't cut it. Maybe someone should have a "naming contest" for this star - it's too astounding to just move on and dismiss. Needs a public marketing plan, imho.

F&S

Being a Babylon 5 fan from decades ago I say we name it 'Lorien', or just 'the First One'... kinda melodramatic, but fitting.
edit on 13-2-2014 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

I love it! May I have permission to make that a motion at my astronomy society? It is a very well renowned one and they have high level contacts, it could see the light of day! Being a Sci Fi fan myself and something of a Trekkie I suggest Vulcan or Romulus!
But as an avid reader of Sherlock Holmes and having had my Sherlock Holmes story published I was thinking we could name it Moriarty since Professor Moriarty was a professor of physics and astronomy and did publish a paper on the dynamics of an asteroid.
I think it would be cool. Sir ACD would be chuffed to bits I am sure.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

Ok ... not sure why you'd need my permission to drop a name that I dropped myself, used by a character in a TV series, from 20 years back I had no involvement with beyond being a teenage fan and viewer at the time of broadcast.

Wow ... really is 20 years ago this year, damn... I feel old **Goes off to cuddle with his complete series of Babylon 5 DVDs**
edit on 16-2-2014 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   
If this is true would that mean this star is the center of the universe so to speak? The origin of all galactic design?

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by keenobservernet

Naw, just a first generation star close by that's still going. There's many another in a universe.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join