It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They May Take Our Pound But They Will Never Take Our Irn Bru

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by larapa

Its narrrow minded views like that that is fuelling indepedence up here.
Have you watched benefits street? (Enough said)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

edit on 13-2-2014 by michael1888 because: replied to wrong guy

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by larapa

Your statement about legal tender doesnt apply to English money? Or every other countries currency?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by burns1805

I have and I empathise with there situations but the welfare state is run and financed from London, Scotland have it better than most in this union with free education, healthcare and subscriptions, which are not afforded to those who live in England, Furthermore Scottish MPs voted to end free education in England , while reaping the benefits of it in Scotland why do my MPs not get a vote in your parliament ? We have just had a Scottish PM, I do not think this union is by any means unfair to the Scots so why bite the hand that feeds? Maybe with the extra revenue from no longer supporting Scotland's welfare state we can get on with reinstating things like free education and prescriptions in England .. Don't get me wrong I see the inequality between London and the rest of the UK , however I would rather fight the enemy I know..

So far devolution in Scotland has brought a 400 million pound bill for the buildings that should have cost 40, a tram system in Edinburgh that has ruined communities in Leith and is 300 million over budget and half the size it was meant to be..

Scotland will become a banana republic if it gains independence all because of a chip on the shoulder caused by Mel Gibson ( brilliant role model)

However if they want to be "free" let them ( it'll be cheaper) , otherwise I am more than willing to support people who have found hard times at their door... global equality... for all, lets stop drawing lines in the sand...

edit on 13-2-2014 by larapa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by larapa

Two Scottish Prime ministers, Tony Blair was born in Edinburgh. It was a Scotsman that took us into war with Iraq etc not the English as someone had posted.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by larapa

Your government dont feel the same, you are complaining about what us in Scotland have that you dont and then that say we will be a banana republic.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1888

English banknotes (Bank of England)The majority of sterling notes are printed by the Bank of England. These are legal tender in England and Wales, and are always accepted by traders throughout the UK.[16] Bank of England notes are generally accepted in the Overseas Territories which are at parity with sterling. In Gibraltar, there are examples of pairs of automatic cash dispensers placed together, one stocked with English notes, the other with local ones.

Scottish banknotesThese are the recognised currency in Scotland, but are not legal tender.

Link

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Your Mps voted for us not to have it.. and social policy.. does not a banana republic make, management of finances and corruption do... Jobs for the boys..

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by larapa

Pretty sure if you read a bank note, it will have a statement like this : bank plc promises to pay the bearer on demand $$ at its registered office, by the board. What does this mean?

I dont care for your previous statement.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

BBC News

Law 'hinders' Scottish bank notes
Contract laws allowing traders to refuse custom are a barrier to Scottish bank notes being accepted across the UK,

the Scottish secretary has said.

Although a number of Scottish banks issue notes they are not backed by the force of law anywhere in the UK.

Des Browne told MPs at Westminster it was an "irritation" but Scots should keep insisting the notes were good.

His comments came after the issue was raised at Scottish Questions by Liberal Democrat MP Malcolm Bruce.

The only notes that carry the force of law are those issued by the Bank of England.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Simple case of divide and conquer.

It's what they did to the unions.

If this is the will of the Scottish people then so be it, but then we are part of a UNION so I don't understand why only the Scots get a vote, why not the whole union as it effects us all.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by larapa

Ok ok your paper tree is different from mine, ur printer uses organic ink and runs on solar power I understand now.
This is a general chit chat. Make a new thread if you want to master debate over English notes.
I will be spending my 20 get it right up yi's in Scotland anyway.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

You are the one who brought it up my friend and asked me to respond to questions , however do you own this website? or this forum? Therefore I will not let you oppress my opinion freedom I say! (unless a mod disagrees). Sorry if you lost the argument In answer to your other query my printer does not run on organic juice ... does yours?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by larapa

Thats your opinion(s) no argument lost, I am just bored of your conversation on this matter. The op is tongue in cheek, its in general chit chat. Suppose you could say the post is about irn bru if you wanted to, If I go to England I get English notes, problem solved. Unless I go to Newcastle, Blackpool or Berwick these places in England accept my unlawful currency.
No more Tories in Bonnie Scotland.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

burns1805
reply to post by larapa

Its narrrow minded views like that that is fuelling indepedence up here.
Have you watched benefits street? (Enough said)

Did you not see the Scottish equivalent to Benefits Street called "The Scheme" in 2012?

en.wikipedia.org...(TV_series)

edit on 13.2.2014 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Well no not my opinion as I posted links to literature in relation to the law of the land, so you could say the opinion of the land or that you are mis-informed but anyway I am not a tori, thanks for asking...

Boredom I can understand it takes a certain level of intelligence to participate in some levels of chit chat does it not?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by larapa

You are taking what i say out of context and I will not participate in personal attacks or anti Scottish/English statements and you have shared a few of you opinions.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Elijah23
reply to post by coolcatt

it seems to make you quite angry... but you're wrong, the pound is as much yours as it is ours and since currency is made up of just pieces of paper the name of the currency in this case is arbitrary...

WRONG! A countries currency affects the price of imports, exports and borrowing. All countries borrow (despite the nonsense coming out of Osbournes mouth) and the countries interest rate and payback period is dictated by the strength of its currency. That in turn is driven by monetary and fiscal policy. Since Scotlands banks are 12 times larger than Scotland itself there is a massive imbalance there that will affect how the pound is viewed on international markets due Scotland controlling it's own fiscal policy, hence why the treasury will say NO.. At present the UK is larger than its banks.......which is better.

and I actually have nothing against the English, I wish you all the best and hope that you escape the tories and the house of lords also, this is just our way of doing it...

Agree

and the united kingdom came about when King James the 7th of Scotland became also King James the 2nd of England through succession...

Wrong again.The scottish barons invested heavily in New World ventures in the 17th century. This failed miserably and Scotland was bankrupt. The English bailed out the barons in return for a merging of the parliaments. Scotland is the only country in history to sell its independance for money !!!!!

the marriage of the crowns and we are keeping the queen as head of state unfortunately, so we'll still be the united kingdom....

Wrong. The queen is still the queen of Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc etc and I am pretty sure they are not part of the UK.

its Britain we are leaving and since Britain is a member of the E.U. with us as part of what the current definition of Britain is (land size and member amount wise) then we could just as easily say New Britain would have to reapply to the E.U. also but we wouldn't say that because it's ridiculous and the E.U. will have us both... as its growing not shrinking and now even includes Romania...

Wrong, the EU says so! Remember the EU has its agreement with the government located in London. That government will still be there and all legal agreements will still be in place. Scotland as an independant country will start existance with no agreements with the EU. These legal niceties will have to be negotiated.

yet people think they'll refuse Scotland and I always find it funny people using the europe wont accept you argument when the Tories are planning a referendum next year with the hopes of Britain leaving the E.U. ....

FYI I'm English, I live in Scotland I will vote for independance to rid this part of the UK of the ideological driven right wing tories who are ruining everywhere except the city of london.

I find the current agitation about these decisions amazing. A shared currency affects all taxpayers in the remaining "new" UK so why the hell should they bow down to the demands of the SNP! If the remaining UK believes they are better off with a non shared currency then TOUGH!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

larapa

Your Mps voted for us not to have it.. and social policy.. does not a banana republic make, management of finances and corruption do... Jobs for the boys..

your argument is idiotic because by your own criteria Britain is a banana republic.... as it has badly managed its finances, clearly and is borrowing at an unprecedented rate whilst cutting services, it's been proven to have a corrupt government through the support of proxy wars, deals with big bankers and close links with the msm as revelaed by the leveson enquiry.

and jobs for the boys? are you joking? your ruled by the tories... who all went to school together... then provided each other jobs and positions... for the boys... wake up. your arguing for independence.... and I know the last two PM's were Scottish and that our politicians aren't perfect but come on....

our only chance of purging them is through independence, thus the vote... we're not as corrupt here as the system is in England, that's why our MP's kept our free prescription charges and education when yours chose to scrap them and line the pockets of big pharma and the universities, if I stayed in England I'd be paying 9 grand a year for the degree education I'm using to counter your idiotic arguments... and I want my son to have the same chance at education, only way to guarantee its safety from the tories and their cuts, independence... simple.

your education system in England was already based around a two tier system of universities, most if they do go, go to a non-elite university (elite uni's being Eton, Cambridge etc) and get a degree that's worth a middle management job at best, generally then the ones who go to the tier 1, afore mentioned, elite universities, become your bosses, government, 'heads of the lodge', etc.
and now you'll pay 9k a year for the privilege of a 2nd tier education. .. meaning less will do it and it doesn't affect the elites, pushing the education gap ever further from equal...

It's not like that in Scotland, anyone can go to university who has the ABILITY not the MONEY meaning we produce a higher amount of working class professionals, doctors, lawyers, government ministers ( the most prestigious university for politics in Scotland is Strathclyde, where I attend and it is free to all Scots with a passion for politics, or any other subject, not just 9k in your pocket to spend on your passion...)

We only have one 'Elite' university in Scotland and its St Andrews, which isn't seen as prestigious, just expensive, posh and it's English royalty who come and study at it, then leave, so it has no real, elite producing effect in Scotland.

We leave this union, we leave all the elitism behind within a generation; and we have an education system that is producing enough working class proffessionals to run it in their place. there is some very exciting talk and ideas going about at my uni about after independence... and none of them involve elitism or class gaps...
edit on EWednesday3626pm0123 by Elijah23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

burns1805
The amount of smearing and propaganda on both sides of the debate is ridiculous. We will never know how it will effect us until we do get the yes vote. Coming from the West side of Scotland and from an Irish background, I would definently welcome it. My family were chased from their homes in Ireland and were told they have 2 hours to collect their belongings, their property now belongs to the crown. I have a bitter feeling towards the UK for this. I want to be part of a peaceful country, free of greed and corruption.

i wonder what will happen if scotland votes yes they will not be part of the european union and could ask all the foreigners to leave that have come over from eastern europe

no more tax credits or benefits and watch the country empty quick

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join