Ancient Native American Baby DNA Suggests an interesting story

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
+58 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Ancient Baby DNA Suggests Tie to Native Americans

The DNA of a baby boy who was buried in Montana 12,600 years ago has been recovered, and it provides new indications of the ancient roots of today's American Indians and other native peoples of the Americas.

It's the oldest genome ever recovered from the New World. Artifacts found with the body show the boy was part of the Clovis culture, which existed in North America from about 13,000 years ago to about 12,600 years ago and is named for an archaeological site near Clovis, N.M.

The boy's genome showed his people were direct ancestors of many of today's native peoples in the Americas, researchers said. He was more closely related to those in Central and South America than to those in Canada. The reason for that difference isn't clear, scientists said.

I thought many here would appreciate this find. Apparently the child shows a closer genetic tie to those Native Americans from Central and South America than to Canadian First Nation people. They are still related but not as close which is surprising considering how far away Central and South America are compared to how close Canada is to Montana where the child's remains were found.

Considering the time frame regarding the end of the last ice age and the location this was always a very real possibility. As many of you know I've always thought that it shouldn't surprise anybody that we find the older and more advanced cultures and civilizations farther south where the weather was much more habitable to humans than the northern latitudes. This doesn't mean there weren't people living at those Latitudes just that the farther south one went the nicer the climate was.

As the climate started changing those people farther south would migrate North as the Gigantic North American Ice cap started to recede the land became much more desirable to the vast herds of animals desired for consumption. It's often been pondered if there were some sort of connection or contact between the Mississippian mound building cultures and those of Central America's Pyramid builders.

Cahokia

Cahokia kəhoʊkiːə is the site of an ancient Native American city (650-1400 CE) near Collinsville, Illinois in the American Bottom floodplain, across the Mississippi River from St. Louis, Missouri. The 2,200-acre (8.9 km2) site includes at least 109 man-made earthen mounds. Cahokia Mounds is the largest archaeological site related to the Mississippian culture, which developed advanced societies in eastern North America centuries before the arrival of Europeans.

Cahokia was settled around 650 CE during the Late Woodland period. Mound building did not begin until about 1050 CE, at the beginning of the Mississippian cultural period. The inhabitants left no written records beyond symbols on pottery, shell, copper, wood, and stone. The city's original name is unknown.

Cahokia: North America

Olmec: Central America

The Cahokian site *and various others in the region* and those of Central America are more recent obviously than the remains of the child tested but do those remains imply that the possible connection between the two goes much further back in time than previously thought? So not only do we have a location on the more Eastern part the US 48 but now this find from Montana. I think there was at one time a much larger population in the Americas than previously thought. This would explain the massive die offs of the Ice Age Megafauna more easily if 'Man' was responsible or simply a major contributing factor.

Who knows, Maybe in the West's barren badlands there may still be remnants of much larger settlements buried that have yet been discovered eh?

As Always, Stay tuned
edit on 13-2-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
S&F Very well put together. I find this kind of early people stuff fascinating

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
have you seen this 2012 paper? you may like it

www.nature.com...

edit on 13-2-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

Native American Origins Arose from Multiple Bering Sea Migrations
edit on 13-2-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesOpenMouthShut

So do I obviously

I think the more they dig the more certain beliefs will have to be changed as more information reveals a truer picture of the past. Not just here but world wide.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Cool, I am fascinated by the DNA evidence, hope I last long enough to see what it solves.

Central and South America

That really doesn't surprise me at all, it makes sense.
edit on 092828p://bThursday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
oops
edit on 092828p://bThursday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Great post Slayer.

There's so much we don't know and are constantly figuring out.
It's great!

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

Interesting chart. thanks for posting the information.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Interesting find, thanks for sharing!

My immediate hyposthesis (and a rather boring, conventional one) is that this child was part of an early infux of peoples into North America, most of whom migrated south, with their ancestors occupying Central and South America, as a new wave of people (post Clovis Comet impact?) arrived to replace them in the north.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

SLAYER69

I thought many here would appreciate this find. Apparently the child shows a closer genetic tie to those Native Americans from Central and South America than to Canadian First Nation people. They are still related but not as close which is surprising considering how far away Central and South America are compared to how close Canada is to Montana where the child's remains were found.

Considering the time frame regarding the end of the last ice age and the location this was always a very real possibility. As many of you know I've always thought that it shouldn't surprise anybody that we find the older and more advanced cultures and civilizations farther south where the weather was much more habitable to humans than the northern latitudes. This doesn't mean there weren't people living at those Latitudes just that the farther south one went the nicer the climate was.

As the climate started changing those people farther south would migrate North as the Gigantic North American Ice cap started to recede the land became much more desirable to the vast herds of animals desired for consumption. It's often been pondered if there were some sort of connection or contact between the Mississippian mound building cultures and those of Central America's Pyramid builders.

Excellent find! The closer genetic relationship with the South as opposed to Canadian First Nation people is interesting but not terribly new. It's been known since the 80's that the Iroquois could trace their lineage to central Mexico so this is some interesting further evidence to support that. Additionally I liked the fact that the lack of relationship to Canadian First People lends more credence to multiple migrational crossings of Berringea which I've always thought was the case. The one thing that bummed me out a little is the genetic evidence does nothing to further the Solutrean Hypothesis and possibly rules it out entirely. Though I'm not going to count it out yet just because the premise is interesting as hell to me. No matter how you look at it though its always awesome to have additional pieces of the puzzle filled in to add to our perspective of the past. Thanks for posting this Slayer.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

AndyMayhew
Interesting find, thanks for sharing!

My immediate hyposthesis (and a rather boring, conventional one) is that this child was part of an early infux of peoples into North America, most of whom migrated south, with their ancestors occupying Central and South America, as a new wave of people (post Clovis Comet impact?) arrived to replace them in the north.

I think that's what happened. They sort of bounced back up north and probably met and interbred with either a newer wave from Asia or those from Europe or both.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
That's really interesting. I wonder if we ever get my husband's DNA tested how far back they'll trace it now.

Btw, the thread title is sort of seriously creepy.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I'm glad you found it of interest. I thought some here would

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by peter vlar

Hi peter,

I just finished Stanford and Bradley's "Across Alantic Ice", I highly recommend it.

I don't think that this find negates the solutrean hypothesis, as this burial is nearly 8000years after any proposed influence by solutreans.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Hey slayer,
This study was supposed to be presented at the paleoamerican conference last october, but by conference time no usable DNA had been recovered. The author did present the sequencing of the anfontova and Mal'ta burials, in siberia, instead. It was that study that showed that some native north Americans and Paleolithic Eurasians, inclluding the ancestors of modern Europeans, have a common ancestor.
I'm still kicking my self for not going to that conference.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks10

I try to keep an eye out myself where ever I'm living at the time for conferences etc.

Kind of a pet project/hobby of mine.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

punkinworks10

Hi peter,

I just finished Stanford and Bradley's "Across Alantic Ice", I highly recommend it.

I don't think that this find negates the solutrean hypothesis, as this burial is nearly 8000years after any proposed influence by solutreans.

I know, it's been sitting at the top of my amazon cart since summer while I whittled down the pile of unread books next to my desk. It's time to bite he bullet though and order it along with a few others I've been eyeing. As for the dating of this site vs potential Solutrean artifacts, in hind site you are correct. The Virginia site is dated to around the same time as early solutrean culture so I was a little off the mark. Tough depending on which way you think the Solutreans went, America to Europe or Europe to America, the dating could work to within a couple thousand years. But like I said above, I'm still pretty into the concept and one piece of data isn't going to throw it under the bus for me. Finds like this are almost as cool as presents on Christmas morning and my kids think I'm insane when I start pontificating bat it over dinner. I'm going to drop the needle on that book tonight though so Ill let you know what I think once I finish it up.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
IT it always fascinating to try to understand the migrations and mixing of man.

But Early Humans were in the Americas, way before the "Asians" invaded.

Up to 50,000 years before.

originalpeople.org...

news.bbc.co.uk...

It is still not Unreasonable to suggest that early man developed in "Asia" and migrated back to Europe to displace the African Invaders.

We are talking about a long time, tho 100-500,000 years is still a spec in time in the overall scheme of life.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

After reading the book I'm still convinced that influence was from NA to Europe. There is no preceeding or following culture that has links to the solutreans. The earliest solutrean sites are on the Atlantic coast of Spain and later sites expand north and east. Also if the dating of the cinmar bi point is correct, then it predates the apearance of the laurel leaf point form, in Europe , by a couple thousand years.
Also Stanford and Bradley confirm a notion I have privately held for some time, namely that the large Clovis points are not projectile points at all, but are butchers knives. And I also believe that the very large, thin blades were "razors" for shaving hair from woolly mammoths and other long haired ice age animals. The hair would have been used for cordage and ropes.
Also on the use of overshot flaking in the large blades, is analogous the current scalloped chefs knives, where the scallops decrease the contact surface area of the blade making for easier cutting.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by gort51

Thanks for the links

With regards to early humans in the Americas I posted a fairly controversial thread a few weeks back. If you've missed it here is the link

Enjoy

New Evidence of Early Man? The Trilemma...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join