It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish independence: 'Yes' vote means leaving pound, says Osborne.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

boymonkey74
reply to post by HUMBLEONE

Here are some designs.

So yes we would.
. The way things are going , maybe a crescent, some Arabic scroll and a scimitar? LOL.
Too bad though, I think the Union Jack is quite beautiful.

edit on 13-2-2014 by HUMBLEONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Hi Folks,

OK, I am going to break this down and make it very simple. Because it is very simple.

The British pound is a fiat currency. it has been for since the battle of Waterloo.

Currently the GBP is a single currency pegged to a single monetary policy determined by the Bank of England, under charter from the British Government. note here that the BoE is NOT owned or part of the British Government. it is a private bank. Always has been, always will be.

Currently, legal tender of the UK is printed legally by, the Bank of England, Royal Bank of Scotland, Clydesdale Bank, and a Northern Irish bank whose name escapes me. Each are LEGAL TENDER in each of the states within the union. I now this as I took a cash handling course for British Rail many years ago. The perception that "Scottish" pounds are not accepted in England is wrong. They are, just that sometime people who don't know get nervous, the same is true in Scotland of BoE notes.

However, none of this matters. Currently financial policy IS determined by the BoE. Therefore, in the event of Scottish independence, you have two choices. Remain using the British pound, with the control of it as a construct of a private organization calling the shots. Or designate your own central bank. You can call it what you want bu the premise remains the same.

The premise is, decide to whom you will owe your currency DEBT. This is true you can look it up.

To the member who stated that Scotland owes 10% of the BoE. Sorry you are wrong. The BoE owns 100% of the BoE, Neither the governments of England, Scotland Wales or Northern Ireland, nor any territory has any claim on this. What in fact happens is the government borrows currency from the bank at interest, by issue of bonds, based on the gross domestic product of the country.

So, if Scotland decides to go it alone, and designate their own BoS (Bank of Scotland) Pound as their currency, they can. Either way the country will still end up with debt.

Don't believe me, ask yourself this one question. What is your currency based on. Hard assets no? NO!. It is based on trust. Nothing more. Still don't believe me? it is stated as such on the front page of the BoE website. Bold as BRASS, but a fraction of the worth.

As for my opinion. Your choices are limited, you either owe debt to an English private company, a Scottish private company, or a Belgian private company. Unless you do what the Icelanders did, and start basing you currency on smoked fish!

And don't even bother with the oil / gas argument. That is a finite resource and CANNOT be relied upon to sustain your economy. You will have to find other means.

Note I have not stated a case for or against, simply the reality. As for me, I'm English but an Expat, so my new country has enough to worry about with NAFTA.

Viva Mexico old chap!

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   

beansidhe
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Well firstly, it's Scotland. There is no Scottland, nor Scotts.
Alex Salmond should not be confused with Scotland, he is the first minister. He does not speak for everyone in Scotland.
If the agreement with the treasury is that we go back to using our pound, so be it. Alex Salmond loves to antagonise Westminister, and you have to take what he says with a knowledge of the man.

The arrogance of England, however, is to assume that it is their pound and not a shared currency. This is the point which Alex Salmond is provoking.

No. The English are not saying it's their pound. They are saying it's the UK's pound. If the Scots leave the UK, they can not keep the UK pound. They can not declare independence .. except for the areas they choose to not be independent because it benefits them.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Will salmond give the people the choice on their government or only a choice on new masters?
Cant help feeling if you are brining up old feuds that possibly parts of Scotland would want their own independence.
Originally I was hoping to see Scotland rally out of pride now I think I would rather see old clans rally because of opportunity.

Join the French, go solo, any other options that is in line with what he proposes, better for yourself or even freedom.

I like Salmond I just think without doing that he isn't fighting for freedom but for control which England were silly for letting him do since they are also in the same business.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Osborne is a Zionist Numpty anyway!

I don't want to point out the obvious but the British Pound is controlled by the Zionist Jew Federal Reserve Bank! And they are trying to crash the pound in order for Britain to adopt the Euro. So what does it matter if Scotland get's independence and loses the pound? Maybe if we get independence we can carry on with the pound while England changes to the Euro!!

Osborne and Cameron and Co are getting desperate it seems. Osborne threatening Currency loss and Cameron recruiting the Spanish Media to demonize Scotland.

One good thing to come out if we get independence is that we can boot the unelected German/UK Monarchy off our land!

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   

stevcolx
Osborne is a Zionist Numpty anyway!

I don't want to point out the obvious but the British Pound is controlled by the Zionist Jew Federal Reserve Bank! And they are trying to crash the pound in order for Britain to adopt the Euro. So what does it matter if Scotland get's independence and loses the pound? Maybe if we get independence we can carry on with the pound while England changes to the Euro!!

Osborne and Cameron and Co are getting desperate it seems. Osborne threatening Currency loss and Cameron recruiting the Spanish Media to demonize Scotland.

One good thing to come out if we get independence is that we can boot the unelected German/UK Monarchy off our land!

And of course still market them as royal lands to the tourists to make money off them still ...

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
It's all just leverage, trying to frighten people into accepting the status quo.

If our friends in the north want independence, just go for it.
get the euro, hell, make bit coins the national currency!

dont let the shyster Cameron and the zombie looking Osborne derail your future.

If it all goes to 5h1t up there, do you really think us English would stand by and not help you? No chance.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   
If our English, Welsh and Northern Ireland counterparts/members had the chance to wipe the Tories/New Labour/UKIP from the face of the political map forever with a simple X on September the 18th would you take that chance..?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

If our English, Welsh and Northern Ireland counterparts/members had the chance to wipe the Tories/New Labour/UKIP from the face of the political map forever with a simple X on September the 18th would you take that chance..?

Well I guess that would depend on what was replacing them.

As far as I can tell all you are doing is replacing them with Scottish Tories / Labour / Lib Dems party's etc.....oh, and don't forget Salmond and his SNP.
The only difference is you won't have Scottish MP's in Westminster.
Same old same old as far as I can see.

Do you honestly believe that the politicians that will govern any independent Scotland will be any less amoral and corrupt than those we / you have at present?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by guidetube

Will salmond give the people the choice on their government or only a choice on new masters?

If Scotland votes for independence then I can only assume discussions between Holyrood and Westminster will produce a schedule and timeline for the process of implementing independence - I doubt it would occur over night.
Part of that process I guess would include an election in Scotland.

Cant help feeling if you are brining up old feuds that possibly parts of Scotland would want their own independence.

It will be interesting how things will develop in the Northern Islands where there is already a movement for independence from Scotland.

Originally I was hoping to see Scotland rally out of pride now I think I would rather see old clans rally because of opportunity.

Sorry, I don't really understand this line of thought, could you please clarify.

Join the French, go solo, any other options that is in line with what he proposes, better for yourself or even freedom.

Why would anyone want to 'Join the French'? - and if they did wouldn't that be contrary to the whole independence reasoning?
Again, I don't really get what the rest of the sentence means - probably just me being a simpleton.

I like Salmond I just think without doing that he isn't fighting for freedom.....

Salmond's primary motivations are ones of self-advancement and gain.....same as almost every other modern day politician.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Freeborn

Do you honestly believe that the politicians that will govern any independent Scotland will be any less amoral and corrupt than those we / you have at present?

Yes I do...You obviously dont realise just how corrupt Westminster and the house of Lords is..... Salmond and Co can easily be replaced if they are caught with their fingers in the till....Westminster and the Lords not only are they corrupt, they dont even try to hide it anymore.

200 reasons why Scotland need to rid ourselves of these Self serving Bags of ~#...And this is just the Peers.
socialinvestigations.blogspot.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

I assure you, I am under no illusions whatsoever as to how corrupt and amoral those who reside in Westminster are - and that includes the politicians, the civil servants and the lobbyists etc.
Neither am I ignorant of just how out of date and unrepresentative are our electoral and parliamentary procedures and how those mentioned above strive to maintain the current system and status quo at all costs.

I believe we have a better chance of changing things united together rather than divided......and I fail to see why anyone would believe that what Salmond and his cronies are offering will be any different.
It'll still the same set of arrogant and self-serving bastards who will be pulling the strings behind the scene and who will be promoting and pursuing their own vested interests rather than the well being and interests of the electorate.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I would have liked to see Scotland band together but not as much as I would like to see the different fractions squabble over new borders such a country called Grampian, Isle of Skye or whatever.

France was just a name, I think we used to have ties there. Much better would be the East coast of Scotland joining the West Coast of Norway in a new country (screwing over both capitals). Or possibly a few new countries with their own laws so they could test out some more modern politics ideas or whatever they wanted really..

I would like the people to be given a chance to decide right down to the household. Then majorities could try set rule over others but risk war or at least resistance.

Its not Freedom its more Salmond trying to become a household name with the guise of good intentions, possibly he does see the benefits but they surely cant be that different really?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

SprocketUK

If it all goes to 5h1t up there, do you really think us English would stand by and not help you? No chance.

I like your optimism but I have 'you made your bed so lie on it' ringing in my ears..

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   

starchild10

SprocketUK

I like your optimism but I have 'you made your bed so lie on it' ringing in my ears..

At least our beds will be Dry and the turds wont be coming up through the shagpile....

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

starchild10

SprocketUK

nah, no way. When it comes down to it, we've all got too much in common to let our neighbours down. Won't ever happen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join