It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baby dies after mother allegedly severs arms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
What would possess anyone to do something like this? I have heard some awful stories but this one is horrific!

PLANO, Texas - A woman with a history of postpartum depression cut off the arms of her baby daughter Monday, then called 911 and waited calmly until police arrived, authorities said.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Dena Schlosser, 35, was charged with capital murder after the girl died at a hospital in Plano, a Dallas suburb. Child-protection authorities said the mother had shown signs of postpartum depression in the past, but there had been no signs of violence.

I think this shows there has to be more attention paid to postpartum depression! There was an incident earlier in the year when she had to spend several days in the hospital, where are social service workers when you need them?

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I'm reluctant to believe Postpartum depression is a cause of this action.

Maybe she was depressed and wanted to kill her baby... but in my opinion, cutting off arms of a child is a signal of something much deeper than postpartum depression.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Sickos. Some test should be developed for women who are prone to get like this in order to determine if they should give birth or not.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Oh man! What is this world comming to? This is so sad......why? WHY?

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I don't suppose they give the chair to insane people in Texas do they? They should make an exception this time.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wask
I don't suppose they give the chair to insane people in Texas do they? They should make an exception this time.

Depends on the case: (for example)
January 21, 2000, Larry Keith Robison, diagnosed with schizophrenia, was executed by the state of Texas.

On August 16, 2000, John Satterwhite, who suffered from both mental illness and mental retardation, was executed by the state of Texas.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
History is filled with parents that abuse their own children to the point where children loses their lives.

It is very sad indeed, but one can rest and be assured that these innocent childrens souls are in the comforting arms of our Creator and shall know no sin or shall suffer no more.

To those who bring harm and suffering to the little innocent ones, their day will come when they shall pay a very heavy price for their actions!

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm

Originally posted by Wask

Depends on the case: (for example)
January 21, 2000, Larry Keith Robison, diagnosed with schizophrenia, was executed by the state of Texas.

On August 16, 2000, John Satterwhite, who suffered from both mental illness and mental retardation, was executed by the state of Texas.

Thanks for the info mOjOm. Why stop at those 2, she seems deserving enough.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I agree with parrhesia. This mother had something other than postpartum depression slow cooking on the back burner. That's horrible!

There was a woman in Las Vegas who took her young children into a Walmart and bought a baseball bat. She ended up killing them shortly after purchasing the bat. You would think someone would have to notice a ticking time bomb ready to go off! Surely they would show some sign that something isn't right. I seen the video tape on the news of the woman and her two children entering Walmart. The children appeared reluctant, like something wasn't right. Most kids love going to Walmart. Than you could see her paying for the bat and grabing it. The children didn't appear to be excited about joining the little league. It seems todays society just doesn't notice strange behaviors or just refuses too. Look at Andrea Yates husband was he just so busy he couldn't be bothered with the possibility his wife could be a danger to his children? What would you do anyways... if you suspected someone was going to kill a child? Call the cops and tell them 'I think that lady is going to kill her kids'.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
I'm reluctant to believe Postpartum depression is a cause of this action.

Maybe she was depressed and wanted to kill her baby... but in my opinion, cutting off arms of a child is a signal of something much deeper than postpartum depression.

Probably not garden-variety PPD, but quite possibly postpartum psychosis. Nasty stuff.

"Postpartum psychosis is condition in which the person loses touch with reality," says Dr. Ralph Wittenberg, who runs a postpartum screening project in Washington, D.C. Mothers hear voices, see things and feel an irrational guilt that they've somehow done something wrong, he says. Without treatment, women may try to hurt themselves or those around them.

Remember Andrea Yates, the Houston mother who drowned her kids in the bathtub? She was suffering from psychosis, and is currently serving life in prison, IIRC.

source:
www.npr.org...

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I'd beleive it was post-partum depression. My wife suffered from it. Not NEARLY to the extent of wanting to hurt our first son, but she was on anti-depressants for 8 months.

Glad she did it in Texas, so they can fry that woman. But since they'll get her off on depression, she may only unfortunately get a life sentence (20-25 years). I'm all for equallity, they should cut her arms off, without drugs.

That poor kid. I'm at a loss for words.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
sick bitch. cut her arms off too. Nah, although thats my gut feeling after reading this. If true, lock her up, throw away the keys, and forget about her. Give her some means of killing herself too, shes clearly mad so giving her time to think about what shes done wont work, she wont see it as anything wrong.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
PPD is very real although it effects women differently. I had a mild case (i think) i was obsessed something would happen to my babies. Nothing ever did, but i thought they were going to die until they were a year old.

There should be some kind of test by now for this for women considering having children.

LL1

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
1. Life with no parole
2. Tubal Ligation

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Psychosis can be associated with depression.

www.falseallegations.com...

www.anth.ucsb.edu...

www.sign.ac.uk...

[edit on 04/11/22 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

top topics

join