It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this the start of a civil war in Venezuela? (post from Vnz)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Skittle

I have no love for Western Governments or the CIA but if you think all this lack of security, scarcity of food items, inflation, lack of investment in infrastructure and mass corruption is to do with the CIA then you are sadly mistaken.

The arrested students could be facing up to 35 years in jail....hmmm seems like a real fair system.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Yes I can now see how all of the civil unrest in the world can lead to a world war - people restless and fed up. Not only that but governments interfering when people are treated unjustly (sometimes - if they have a financial motivation).

I'm astounded at the prison sentences proposed. That alone will take it in one of two directions. People will be deterred or people will get more PO'ed. It's a toss up - the split in this one is about 50/50 so that makes it so much harder. Even when the odds are 90/10 it's difficult for grievances to be heard.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Just seen an article in the Guardian, its a British news paper. At least this is getting some media attention.
www.theguardian.com...

I think the protests are continuing today. Will keep thread updated

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by maythetruthbeknown

Here is a video from 12 Feb in Caracas. Warning contains graphic images

edit on 14-2-2014 by maythetruthbeknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

A few updated images from today. It is quite normal around the area I live, although there is a protest not far from here, blocking the main freeway.

These photos are from the mainland

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Great photo crowd spelling out SOS

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

A nice photo to show the humanity of the situation. Not all the security services are bad

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Here are a few mainstream news link about the situation here

CNN
edition.cnn.com...

BBC
www.bbc.co.uk...

Sky News

news.sky.com...

Quite a bit of information in those links if anyone is interested

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Are you guys serious???? This is an OBVIOUS coup attempt by u.s. Interests and
Venezuelan capitalists. They have been spreading rumors and using vzn businesses to hoard products... To cause protest and revolution...

These people are probably paid .. Or just gullible and managed by cia backed individuals. Chavez was difficult to take down, like someone else said, he was overthrown and his popularity got him back in his rightful place. I am skeptical that any rulers are good... But Chavez had my respect and support. Maduro is a good leader, and he really cares about the people. alll of the bad press is made possible by the us. I will post links when i get home. But its so obvious that this is the us seeing a chance to exploit venezuela people and steal the countries oil reserves. I prayed that the people would resist this. But the security forces are falling into the trap. How do you prove the opposition is legit? These people are COUNTERREVOLUTIONARIES. ... GOD BLESS MADURO

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by asyourworldburned

Sorry my friend but you do not have a clue about what you are talking about.
You have obviously never been to Venezuela or spoken to the people from here. The poor love Chavez and Maduro because they have been brainwashed, have a very poor education or receive a little to keep content.

Is your hatred for the CIA and US ( I have no love for either) so great that your are unwilling to see the facts. You have access to the internet unlike lots of Maduro supporters, look at the facts.

So either you are blind to the evidence or you are in someway connected to the corrupt Venezuelan government.....Which is it??

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by asyourworldburned

Businesses can not even get dollars to pay for imported products. Since there is an exchange control the Bolivar is worthless in other countries. There has been no investment in the infrastructure, the electrical grid is crumbling, the roads are full of holes,there are very few products produced here, even the oil industry is not producing anywhere near the amount they should be.
Crime is out of control, the police are super corrupt and are unwilling to arrest known criminals.

Newspaper and tv shows that criticism the government and shut down or taken off air.

There is a lack of basic products in the shops, inflation is out of control, the murder rate is through the roof.

The poor are still poor and are in fact worse off due to the security problem. A few houses have been built for them but most are unfinished. A lot of the consumer shops are empty because they can not get currency to buy products.

One good thing, is there is a plan to rescue the street dogs and cats, vaccinate them and put them up for adoption. However that has yet to materialize.

Chavez gave millions to Cuba, Bolivar and Nicaragua. He accumulated 3.4 billion dollars of personal wealth (hmm sounds like a man of the people)

Chavez changed the constitution so it was possible to serve more than 2 terms. The national assembly that passes the laws is full of Chavez/Maduro supporters. They actually ambushed and assaulted the few that supported the opposition
Corruption is rife...

Man I could go on all night but I have to go out with my wife for a meal, it being Valentines day and all.
So can you tell me where this has been a good government, because I just don't see it.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

New image of Caracas tonight

This is not showing any signs of abating

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Video from Caracas earlier today of a peaceful protest.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Apparently anonymous has hacked several government accounts. Seeing as alot of people study software engineer, as well as many other computer related careers it is not a surprise. They used the phrase Tangodown , operation Venezuela,

The sites that are down are. Conatel, (monitors the press) Hydrolara ( a state water company) and the Minster of planning and finance.
Here is a video

According to the government 60 websites have been effected.
informe21.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Twitter says that Venezuela is blocking images for many users.

Twitter Inc. (TWTR) said the Venezuelan government blocked users’ online images as opposition groups marched through Caracas for a third day, demonstrating against record shortages and the world’s fastest inflation.

Nu Wexler, a Twitter spokesman, confirmed in an e-mail that the government was behind the disruption. President Nicolas Maduro banned protests Feb. 12 and has asked his supporters to counter with a “march against fascism” tomorrow, in a week of social unrest that has left at least three Venezuelans dead.

linky

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Update .... A pro government march has been announced for tomorrow. Apparently it is meant to be a march for peace. Unfortunatly I have a feeling there will be a lot of blood shed tomorrow.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Not even close my friend... Shocking yes, but not even close.

If the Ukraine didn't erupt in civil war(much more violent and shocking than the videos you posted) then venezula is not about to erupt in civil war.

Again, I suppose context is in order. I don't speak spanish, so I don't know.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

A few more pictures I found

Police using their weapons

Students spelling out No Killing

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

It has been close before. However this time I feel it is different. Freedoms are being taken away and people have had enough of the insecurity. The political situation is polarized and with the announcement of a pro government march tomorrow as well as an opposition one I feel more blood shed will follow.

The murders of the students can be found on twitter and youtube. I did not post them as I did not feel the need. If you care to watch them and then tell me that it is not violent.
I have witnessed many protests over the 8 years I have lived.visited here but this time it seems different.
Something needs to change. Hopefully the cost of human life will not be too great.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I'm sorry if I seemed inconsiderate or insincere. This is a terrible event, and the deaths are horrific no matter who they are.

The people are passionate, and have a right to protest, but I do not see combatants here. I see protestors, and police.

For a civil war to exist we need two sets of combatants fighting for opposing cause.

We have people protesting, for the most part peacefully, but there is no civil war and I do not see this turning into one.

It's still horrible, don't get me wrong. Absolutely horrible.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join