It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Killed By COPS........Outnumber Americans Killed In Iraq War

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   
It is an interesting contradiction.

On the one hand the free access to guns to criminals in the USA means that police officers are often shot at and killed, leading to them becoming risk averse to the extent that they shoot first. I bet many police officers are simply scared and fearing for their life.

On the other hand, very few people in the US seem to want to stop this cycle by taking control of the number of guns in circulation. There seems to be an acceptance of the levels of gun violence as the price for “freedom”.

In the ten years between 2000 and 2010, a total of 335,609 people died from guns. A third were murdered – so that’s 100,000, or c. 10,000 a year. usnews.nbcnews.com...

With so much gun violence, it is not surprise the police shoot first.

Look to the UK where people riot when a psycho criminal is killed by the police and there are endless investigations.

Regards

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Look I'm not a supporter of police brutality, but these numbers are hard to believe.

The first thing I see when I click a link is obviously a website with an agenda. Another link shows some numbers, but where did the numbers come from?

I'm not saying it's not all true, but I do think its important that we have all the facts.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
If someone rapes and murders a close family member of yours ..and you have the means..would you not shoot them?

I would want to.

But in a civilised society Its still wrong. Unless I catch them in the act I should have no right to murder. He/she needs to be deliverd safely to court to stand trial for there crimes. To take the law into ones own hands is a dangrous route and is the end to inocent until proven guilty and justice. Yes I could get it right and a peice of scum is removed, but the next person after that could get it wrong. I remeber when a few years ago when we had two high profile murderd childen in the news, a mob destroyed the hosue and nearly beat a man to death for being a pediatrician, the ignorant mod confused a pediatrician with a pedophile. That awalys stuck with me.

Wrabbit2000
How about walking into them, in the act of the killing? Then would you shoot them?

Now that Is what I call a justified killing. The person is a direct threat. There is immediate threat to life and limb.
If they surrended or turned and ran? Well then that goes to non justified killing.

Wrabbit2000
Cop or no cop, and especially when people start pulling out statistical figures, IMO.

Thing with the police is that in a western democracy or Republic they are there for the protection of the public not as hired goverment goons. And theres a fine line between public protetction and enforcement of tyranny. Which is why I hold police to a very high standard. Especialy armed police. Armed police are given guns that they will at some point have to use on the public, so there needs to be strict and firm laws and guidlines on there use to insure they are used ONLY for eliminating direct threats to public saftey NOT useing them to spread fear and mayhem or as it seems in the USA as a easy way to solve problems.

Theres this

And

Theres this

One the police did absolutly amazing job. The other? Well its just lazy and brutal police work. Two diffrent countrys I know but two good examples of good and bad police work.

Think the line is if one is holding or trying to clearly draw a weapon then shot. But if there is no weapon then a cops gun should remain holsterd or unfired.
edit on 14-2-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I love how we blame the police yet as a society we take no responsibility in the actions we have caused. Do the crime pay the time. We've seen what people do when there is no police state...murder, riots, looting, assault, rape...you name it and it happens. While the police have their issues we as a society are not so angelic either.
edit on 14-2-2014 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

HawkeyeNation
Do the crime pay the time.

Or, you know, don't do the crime, pay the time. Sit in your own house, cops bust in and shoot you, wrong house, whoopsie, die. Or don't kiss the foot, get the dropsy evidence and some testilying and do the time. Or the cop decides to show you who's boss, do the time.

These guys have the ability to kill you or destroy your life and get away with it, judged only by themselves or by an oversight system dependent on their good will, and backed by a huge union that stomps on elected officials like the Mafia. It's an issue. Drop an untouchable oversight system into place with a big legal mallet and an incentive to bust the cops for their transgressions, and I'd trust them a bit. As is, you're at their whim.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

HawkeyeNation
I love how we blame the police yet as a society we take no responsibility in the actions we have caused. Do the crime pay the time. We've seen what people do when there is no police state...murder, riots, looting, assault, rape...you name it and it happens. While the police have their issues we as a society are not so angelic either.
edit on 14-2-2014 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

A society over-burdened with a multitude of laws and petty ordinances and infractions loses respect for the law and justice system. Your answer is an over-powering police state to keep people orderly and toeing the line?

Whatever happened to freedom, personal liberty, and individual expression? Is it the price we pay for an orderly society? It does not seem to be working all that well though. So perhaps you would suggest we turn up the heat a bit more, eh?

My solution would be to restore community pride by celebrating the individual and their expressions. Freedom and liberty is what made one proud to be American.

edit on 14-2-2014 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Nothing but bashing and extreme paranoia and I'm willing to bet that all the people complaining here are just mad because they got a ticket and the mean old police didn't buy their sorry excuse.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

thesaneone
Nothing but bashing and extreme paranoia and I'm willing to bet that all the people complaining here are just mad because they got a ticket and the mean old police didn't buy their sorry excuse.

Your fellow and Id say very alert country men are worried over things like this:

Cop Shoots, Kills College Student for Speaking Disrespectfully

Cop fires at minivan full of kids after traffic-stop scuffle in New Mexico

Cleveland Police Disciplining 75 Cops After An Unarmed Couple Was Shot At 137 Times Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

He wanted to be a cop and the LAPD killed him': 'Unarmed' Asian teen shot dead by police after dramatic chase was cadet drop-out Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... 2tJOqUTtn Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

California cop shoots unarmed man eleven times

College Student Claims Police Officers Assaulted Him, Made Bias Remarks in Queens

Police officer rips off student's testicles in violent frisking in US Read more at: indiatoday.intoday.in...

Police Allegedly Beat Pearl Pearson For Disobeying Orders He Could Not Hear

And lets not forget this horrendus and sick case:
Woman sues over vaginal, anal exams in El Paso drug search

So yeah I think your country men on here have something to worried about! But hey you carry on putting your patriotic fingers in your ears and humming your national athem while your country goes from "land of the free" to "land of the police state"

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

I can't speak to some of the local officers issues as they are under investigation by the Federal authorities currently (which is as it should be) but the last one I can.. What the article doesn't mention is the woman in question had been arrested many times before for smuggling drugs across the border, she is a habitual offender as they call it, and under the law she cannot bitch when they finally decided to search her person because of that fact. I always love how the articles leave out those little tidbits, and I'm sure she didn't inform the ACLU about it either.

Body cavity searches for drugs on the border have been done for close to 50 years now, she's just mad because THIS time they didn't find anything on her and she can scream about it, but the 20 or so OTHER times they did find drugs on her, she's silent about...

puts a new spin on that little lawsuit of hers..

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

But the fact is that sort of forced body cavity search in the way it was carried out is overkill.

The war on drugs in your country is leading to tyranical actions.

The procedures in place seem wrong and brutal for something so stupid. At the very least you can catch a thousand drug mules and it dont matter. Its the Gang and cartel leaders that are the prize, cathcing a drug mule just means they jack the street price up or worse dilute the drugs with likley a even more harmfull substance, either way the drugs get sold and orgnaised crime bring in the cash. Brutalising people on the border in cavity searchs is pointless.

Ok maybe its not the cops fault but the law needs a look at and limits on how far things need to be taken need looking at.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Agreed that the laws are Draconian and way over the top, you will never get an argument from me on that one. This country has wasted more money on a "war on drugs" than it has on Food Stamps and Medicaid combined, and it hasn't gotten us anywhere.

The following is NOT meant to claim that drugs are good, or that we shouldn't have the Drug Scheduling System, it is merely historical and for clarity....

I have to keep reminding myself about the fact that these drug searches were made possible YEARS ago by the Harrison Narcotics Act, and amended every year or so as new drugs pop on the market, and other ones are retired and withdrawn. What our present day legislators seem to forget is, the Harrison Act was meant as a means to tax the living bejeezus out of certain substances (at the time I believe and I could be very wrong, they were Cocaine and Heroin which were being used in patent medicines of the day, the government wanted a bit of that action, as well as to keep the purity of the products good and not being filled with poisonous filler materials... Then in the 70's the Nixon administration needed to combat the troops coming home hooked on opium and Heroin so they came up with the Scheduling system. Schedule 1 being drugs that are strictly verboten, and have no medical use outside of getting high,Sched 2 that have a medical useage, but carry a high risk of addiction etc etc... And that is what the DEA uses as it's mandate for the most part, the restriction on the Schedule 1 substances. (Now, there's also a misnomer, they call the collective Schedule One substances all Narcotics when in fact ONLY the Opiates are truly Narcotics, Narcotic from the Greek Narke meaning "stupor" and referring to only those drugs that are form the Papaver Somniferum family or synthetics of)...

Taking into account that a lot of these drugs are bad, and that they should not be used willy nilly and without proper supervision the DEA's job is tough, on the one hand they must legally enforce the laws, any Schedule One substance that passes over the border is considered Drug Smuggling (there are provisions that allow for a certain amount of Sched 2-5 through for personal use if it's cheaper elsewhere) and smuggling, conspiracy to commit etc, are felonies under our laws. On the other hand the DEA isn't stupid. They know darn well that some drugs and prodrugs being brought in are done because people cannot afford their medications anymore, or are having trouble getting and acquiring health care, so a lot of times they do, for the most part, look the other way. ICE/Customs is less tolerant. But the laws are there, they need to be amended and changed for the 21st century, but they are for the moment, there and these people are trained to enforce those laws a certain way (Drug Smuggling I have just been told is a high Federal Felony and ranks up there with some other good jail time getting Federal charges.. )

But they do take it too far sometimes. And you know, they shouldn't.. but.. and here's the but.. there's gotta be a middle ground everyone can agree on somewhere, and so far, it's just an us vs. them mentality and that never gets anything done.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Well you see that what makes you a good officer over a bad one.

You seem to now there is a problem. And I agree there needs to be a middle ground. There needs to be a shake up it seems, less petty laws and better standards of training and recuritment. Take the strain off the police and do a better job at filtering otut the bad apples.

I have respect for my local police they seem to be doing things pretty well.

When I went to NY I was horrified. I jaywalked (not illegal in UK so no idea it was illegal in the US) next to a policeman. He went for his gun holster! In no civilsied world should jaywalking merit summary execution! ever! A ticket yeah of course thats fair and justfied, but to go for your gun? The gun should be the last tool you should use and only in life and death circumstances and certainly shouldnt be used to threaten someone in a none violent crime, ever!

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

We certainly have some really strange and petty laws in the United States, here are a few notable ones I keep on my computer because they are just so off the rocker:

Massachusetts:

1) All men must carry a rifle to church on Sunday.
2) Children may smoke, but they may not purchase cigarettes.
3) Snoring is prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely locked.
4) No one may cross the Boston Common without carrying a shotgun in case of bears.
4) Duels to the death permitted on the common on Sundays provided that the Governor is present.
5) One may not detonate a nuclear device in the city of Marlbourough

Connecticut:

1) In order for a pickle to officially be considered a pickle, it must bounce.
2) You aren’t allowed to cross a street while walking on your hands.
3) It is illegal for a man to kiss his wife on Sunday.

New Hampshire:

1) You may not run machinery on Sundays.
2) On Sundays citizens may not relieve themselves while looking up.
3) Any cattle that crosses state roads must be fitted with a device to gather its feces.

New York:

1) Women may go topless in public, providing it is not being used as a business.
2) While riding in an elevator, one must talk to no one, and fold his hands while looking toward the door.
3) Slippers are not to be worn after 10:00 PM.
4) The penalty for jumping off a building is death. (this one always cracks me up...)
5) People may not slurp their soup.

California:

1) In San Jose and Sunnyvale it is illegal for grocery stores to provide plastic bags.
2) Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.
3) Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses.
4) It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.
5) A man can’t go outside while wearing a jacket and pants that do not match.
6) It is illegal to cry on the witness stand.
7) It is illegal for a man to beat his wife with a strap wider than 2 inches without her consent.
and 8) It is illegal to molest butterflies.

I mean those are some of the more stupid laws we have on the books in this country (and I am sure thatother states besides those have real doozies as well) if we sat down and went through all of the laws in this country I am sure we could find at least 60% of them are outdated or at the very least just silly... BUT, some people even recently have been cited for the above really dumb laws..

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Gave me a good laugh. UK can some great one too. Like in the city of york you can Kill a scot with a longbow .

Yeah laws needs a shake up really. Really the police should be there to stop murder, theft,rape, assualt, property damage and action thats are a risk to public safety.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Protect & serve ? LOL no no.. Harass & harass

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

letting the American militar the arm Army Nav the Army Navy Marines the Air Force know that them and th the Air Force know that them and their families are surrounded by tyrannical iron fisted government keeping them weekend of keeping them weekend off balance protect that now they know who you ar

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sadsad

so fa I' I'm losing what I'm trying to say what I'm trying to say and what actually tight what I'm trying to say and what is actuallbeing typed

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

thesaneone

How many examples of police brutality and unconstitutional actions will it take to shut you up?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by doubletap

Likley none until he/she has a family member shot or beaten half to death for a non violent issue.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Why hasn't anyone made a thread

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join