It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Killed By COPS........Outnumber Americans Killed In Iraq War

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

We can agree that the criminal justice system is not always fair, and is most certainly not perfect.

It doesn't matter if it is a cop that is on trial, or a citizen. Sometimes people get off when they should of been convicted of something (Casey Anthony?).

But to say the system is doing nothing about bad police officers is simply wrong.

www.google.com... hrome&espvd=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

The whole IQ argument thing is getting a little old. It is a favorite of a lot of cop bashers. Most people are referencing one case that happened 15+ years ago in a small town in NY I believe.

Also having a high IQ does not mean that you would make a good police officer. I know plenty of people that are highly intelligent that I would not want wearing a badge.

I have worked closely with our recruiter and am unaware of a requirement to higher officers with a low IQ.

I also know plenty of officers that I work with who have bachelor and masters degrees.
edit on 13-2-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

doubletap
No disrespect to you as an individual, but I let out a little cheer every time I hear of a cop dying. It is a check in the win column for freedom.

You deserve a medal
you are a sick person.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

thesaneone

You deserve a medal
you are a sick person.

Yea, I'm sick because I applaud the deaths of people who would violate your rights as well as mine. I should be sad that such a wonderful human being died I guess, huh?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by doubletap

No I have not let an officer off for a traffic violation, and I have absolutely never let a family member or friend off because I have never had too. I choose the company I keep wisely.

Matter of fact one time my brother dropped my name after getting pulled over for driving like an asshat through a parking lot. The officer called me and I told him to write the ticket. He did.

As for as cheering every time a cop dies, that just goes to show what kind of human being you are.

That being said I would still bend over backwards to help you if you needed it.

Good day sir.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TorqueyThePig

If I didnt know you were a cop, I would always offer help to you as well.

Have you ever violated a law?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

My rights have never been trampled.

You are sick because you say no disrespect but...your happy when cops die.

Grow up!

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Have I ever violated a law? Of course.

I stole a pack of gum when I was two. I have drank alcohol underage. I smoked a certain illegal substance three times in my life. I used to street race.

Then I grew up. What is your point?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

TorqueyThePig

We can agree that the criminal justice system is not always fair, and is most certainly not perfect.

It doesn't matter if it is a cop that is on trial, or a citizen. Sometimes people get off when they should of been convicted of something (Casey Anthony?).

But to say the system is doing nothing about bad police officers is simply wrong.

www.google.com... hrome&espvd=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

The whole IQ argument thing is getting a little old. It is a favorite of a lot of cop bashers. Most people are referencing one case that happened 15+ years ago in a small town in NY I believe.

Also having a high IQ does not mean that you would make a good police officer. I know plenty of people that are highly intelligent that I would not want wearing a badge.

I have worked closely with our recruiter and am unaware of a requirement to higher officers with a low IQ.

I also know plenty of officers that I work with who have bachelor and masters degrees.

You make good points...

That is actually one of the arguments....that people with too high of IQ will become bored (unchallenged) by police work and can tend to slip into criminal behavior .... It is probably the more intelligent cops that are the most corrupt.

the problem with lowering the IQ standards....is you can then have issues with "reason" and have cops making bad decisions when quick wits are needed.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

thesaneone

My rights have never been trampled.

You are sick because you say no disrespect but...your happy when cops die.

Grow up!

Of course I'm happy when cops die, just the same as I would be when hearing certain dictators die. Or when government officials who have acted to undermine our Constitutionally protected rights finally croak. We should all applaud when people who are detrimental to our way of life finally bite the proverbial big one.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TorqueyThePig

During your time as a revenue agent, you have never violated a law? Never went over the speed limit?

The point is the hypocrisy exhibited by those charged with enforcing the law.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

doubletap

thesaneone

You deserve a medal
you are a sick person.

Yea, I'm sick because I applaud the deaths of people who would violate your rights as well as mine. I should be sad that such a wonderful human being died I guess, huh?

doubletap...please keep your comments to an appropriate level. Wishing for, calling for and rejoicing in the deaths of anyone including police officers is way outside of appropriate.

If your comments continue along this line I will have them deleted

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

UxoriousMagnus

doubletap...please keep your comments to an appropriate level. Wishing for, calling for and rejoicing in the deaths of anyone including police officers is way outside of appropriate.

Oh waaaaaaaa
I never wished for or called for the deaths of anyone.

How about the countless number of people that took to the streets cheering when it was announced Bin Laden was killed? Were they acting inappropriately?

No, I'm not comparing cops to bin laden but your opinion that rejoicing in the deaths of anyone is inappropriate is just laughable in its ridiculousness.
edit on 13-2-2014 by doubletap because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

doubletap

UxoriousMagnus

I never wished for or called for the deaths of anyone.

How about the countless number of people that took to the streets cheering when it was announced Bin Laden was killed? Were they acting inappropriately?

No, I'm not comparing cops to bin laden but your opinion that rejoicing in the deaths of anyone is inappropriate is just laughable in its ridiculousness.

actually you are comparing Bin Laden to police.....that is why you brought it up....

not to get off subject but....if you think the seals killed Bin Laden....well then your IQ is perfect for police work.

rejoicing in anyone's death is depraved. Rejoicing in justice being served is quite another thing.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I wish things were the way VKey describes, but my personal experience has demonstrated that all too often, the police act like total jerks, even when they try to be nice, there is this predatory attitude behind the smile.

Compared to most lawyers I have ever met, the police are overall, nice people.

And from my understanding, you have to be a lawyer before you can become a judge.

Other important points made in the article.

filmingcops.com...

Though Americans commonly believe law enforcement’s role in society is to protect them and ensure peace and stability within the community, the sad reality is that police departments are often more focused on enforcing laws, making arrests and issuing citations.
individual police departments are not required to submit information regarding the use of deadly force by its officers,
Another former police officer who wished to remain anonymous agreed with McBride and told Balko,

“American policing really needs to return to a more traditional role of cops keeping the peace; getting out of police cars, talking to people, and not being prone to overreaction with the use of firearms, tasers, or pepper spray. … Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been in more than my share tussles and certainly appreciate the dangers of police work, but as Joseph Wambaugh famously said, the real danger is psychological, not physical.”

There is a problem, and it is getting worse.

Policing is big business that pays very, very well. Maybe too well.

And this link.

filmingcops.com...

Domestic violence is two-four times more common among police families than American families in general.

As of 2010 the compared data lifted from Cato’s NPMSRP shows that the reports of police committing sexual assault amounted to more than 2 times the reports in the entire general population.

The problem is that with current approach to police tactics, there is too much room for abuse, and so there is a growing amount of abuse.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

You caught me.

Yes during my duties as a police officer I have exceeded the speed limit many of times going to emergency calls.

A couple of times it was to save infants that fell in pools. I had to get there quick to start the CPR process.

Another time I sped was to an apartment building that blew up (killing two) from a natural gas explosion. I sped there, beating the fire department, and evacuated several injured people from the blast zone that was still leaking natural gas.

Oh and the countless times I sped to stop people from jumping off the bridge, or to catch a robbery suspect, or to catch a fleeing rapist, or to pull someone out of a car that flipped into the ditch.

Do I speed to go eat lunch? Nope. I pack my lunch everyday. Have I ran through a red light to go to 7-11? Hell no.

My badge number is on my car and my video system records anytime the car is on. If I drove recklessly our citizens would complain, my supervisor would view the video, and I would be written up.

Of course you will not agree with me on this. You have your opinion and I have mine. No worries. It is what it is.

Now I got to go get ready for work. I hope don't get shot tonight.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

UxoriousMagnus

actually you are comparing Bin Laden to police.....that is why you brought it up....

not to get off subject but....if you think the seals killed Bin Laden....well then your IQ is perfect for police work.

rejoicing in anyone's death is depraved. Rejoicing in justice being served is quite another thing.

Nowhere near. That was just a widely covered event in which thousands of people cheered the death of someone.

When justice is delivered to police officers, joy is certainly an emotion that comes to mind.

Everyone who cheered the death of Hitler is depraved?

I never stated I believed the SEALs killed bin laden....could you link me to your post where you lay out the evidence showing they did not? I'd genuinely like to read it.

You should stop stating your opinion as fact.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

TorqueyThePig

It is a lose, lose situation for the police.

Don't feel all alone. It is generally a Lose-Lose situation for anyone that has to deal with the police, for whatever reason. Even for the general law-abiding citizen going about their daily business the police are seen as tax collectors who will scrutinize the public for the slightest infraction. Whenever I see a cop in my rearview mirror I feel like I am walking a tightrope and must toe the line as if my life and livelihood depends on my every well-placed step. On a lonely road late at night should I not feel relieved and secure to be on that road with a law enforcement agent? That is not the typical feeling one has in that situation.

I cannot scrutinize every individual LEO as to what type of person they are. Instead I have but to see the uniformed officer and assume they are looking for the slightest violation or a suspicion in order to violate our privacy and dig further. We are such an ordered society there is generally some obscure law that can be stretched to a possible violation or reason to detain.

Too bad we have devolved to that pitch but every LEO must know they will be met with distrust by a huge percentage of the populace. In the minds of many is that the police will cause more problems than they will solve. and that they are best avoided in any situation.

I have had mostly good or at least neutral interactions with the police, but I know it is a ticket to disaster to let my guard down with them and consent to everything they may suggest during an encounter. I would be curious what percentage are in jail only because they gave consent when it was not necessary to do so.

edit on 13-2-2014 by Erongaricuaro because: to correct a typo

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

doubletap

UxoriousMagnus

Nowhere near. That was just a widely covered event in which thousands of people cheered the death of someone.

When justice is delivered to police officers, joy is certainly an emotion that comes to mind.

Everyone who cheered the death of Hitler is depraved?

I never stated I believed the SEALs killed bin laden....could you link me to your post where you lay out the evidence showing they did not? I'd genuinely like to read it.

You should stop stating your opinion as fact.

I will do a thread on that for you....just for you.

rejoicing in Hitlers death....yes depraved.....rejoicing in justice....not depraved.

a cop getting shot in the line of duty.....no justice was served.

a cop going to jail because he did something corrupt or illegal....justice served.

you are applauding the very thing you hate.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

So if it is okay to assume that every officer is out to violate your rights/privacy, is it equally okay for an officer to assume that you are a criminal or going to murder them?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

TorqueyThePig
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

So if it is okay to assume that every officer is out to violate your rights/privacy, is it equally okay for an officer to assume that you are a criminal or going to murder them?

No a policmean shouldnt do that. And the public should trust the police. The issue is when when a few bad apples in the police who resort to overuse of force and gun happy tactics pop up. Then the public are natrully going to distrust LEO.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join