It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Killed By COPS........Outnumber Americans Killed In Iraq War

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   

AK907ICECOLD
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

Jeez! Makes me want to move out of the USA.

I wonder if my mullet-having, drug-using, wife-beating, drunk-driving, rude in public attitude will be too much to put under "Specail Abilities" on my Alaska State Troopers application.....

I don't want to be over-qualified, I'm jobless you know? Is this my last resort like the military as a teen?!

No...no...you are all good! But you did spell Alaska correctly.....make sure you misspell that on your application ... you know...to "trick" them a bit.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   

The real job of the police is not to protect the citizens from the criminals but the other way round so to say. The police has to protect the rich from the poor or the elite from the subjects. And they are doing it pretty well.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Sirrurg

The real job of the police is not to protect the citizens from the criminals but the other way round so to say. The police has to protect the rich from the poor or the elite from the subjects. And they are doing it pretty well.

well....you are obviously too smart to be a cop....

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   

UxoriousMagnus

AK907ICECOLD

I wonder if my mullet-having, drug-using, wife-beating, drunk-driving, rude in public attitude will be too much to put under "Specail Abilities" on my Alaska State Troopers application.....

I don't want to be over-qualified, I'm jobless you know? Is this my last resort like the military as a teen?!

No...no...you are all good! But you did spell Alaska correctly.....make sure you misspell that on your application ... you know...to "trick" them a bit.

Hell, I may even be entry level to detective just for being an honest criminal and my determination to continue myhem amoung civil folk.

Oh man Stevens! She's ugly and told me I have a little mans complex.... You want to shoot her or should I?? Rock, paper, scissors??

Sick. Sick. Sick.
edit on 13-2-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: Spelling, go figure

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   

AK907ICECOLD

UxoriousMagnus

AK907ICECOLD

Hell, I may even be entry level to detective just for being an honest criminal and my determination to continue myhem amoung civil folk.

Oh man Stevens! She's ugly and told me I have a little mans complex.... You want to shoot her or should I?? Rock, paper, scissors??

Sick. Sick. Sick.
edit on 13-2-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: Spelling, go figure

Just look in the mirror and say "you talkin' to me?" and "are you feeling lucky....punk?"

see how it feels....see if it fits like a warm glove....

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   
From the article someone linked above about the requirement being in the area of a Downie now, that would totally rock.

Can you imagine Down's Syndrome policemen? They wouldn't need sidearms because they couldn't get mad enough to use them. There wouldn't BE any more beatings. You'd get a hug with every traffic ticket. Of course, your arrest rate would go way down, I suppose.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

HanzHenry

Wrabbit2000

Bedlam

Wrabbit2000

I attend college with guys pursuing criminal justice majors...

A cj is down there with vet assistant and theory of basketball. An associates in CJ is like going to hamburger university.

Nothing easy about it with an accredited school, anyway.

Whoa dude, the classes are mostly in the 101 category.. English 101, Psych 101, Biology 101, etc.. pretty much any associates can EASILY be obtained by someone with 3 brain cells.

And that is from someone who went to Irvine, U of I Urbana, and USD

Well Hanz, if that was the memory you have of your school experience, it sure is a world away from the courses I'm in and have been now for just over 60 credit hours worth. Worlds apart. To each their own tho..and I'm glad you had an easier ride in California's University system.

i would re-read that.. 2 were in Ca. and they are not considered sub-standard/ Also, University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana is/was rated higher than most universities, at least when I went thru.

using an A.S. degree as a means to gauge someone's Intellect is suspect and flawed. Associates degrees are basically viewed as a diploma from an inner city public school. nothing to brag about...

The point is that having people of questionable ehtics/morals AND limited IQ (below 130) is a recipe for what we have now, disaster..

I spent enough time in LE to absolutely DREAD when we had interaction with them. Besides the petty wannabe 'frat boy' attitudes, the pompousity, and the close mindedness.. no wonder they couldn't measure up to the Federal levels and standards.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Bedlam
From the article someone linked above about the requirement being in the area of a Downie now, that would totally rock.

Can you imagine Down's Syndrome policemen? They wouldn't need sidearms because they couldn't get mad enough to use them. There wouldn't BE any more beatings. You'd get a hug with every traffic ticket. Of course, your arrest rate would go way down, I suppose.

I felt guilty for laughing at your post....but that is a very funny thought. DS people are so sweet and awesome....they would make the best cops ever. If you tried to argue with them....they would start to throw a fit though.

and they tend to be unusually strong....so that could come in handy.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

using an A.S. degree as a means to gauge someone's Intellect is suspect and flawed. Associates degrees are basically viewed as a diploma from an inner city public school. nothing to brag about...

Opinions vary, to be sure. We're going to agree to disagree, and I'm leaving it here.

You have a good night, Hanz.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   

HanzHenry

Wrabbit2000

HanzHenry

Wrabbit2000

Bedlam

Wrabbit2000

I attend college with guys pursuing criminal justice majors...

A cj is down there with vet assistant and theory of basketball. An associates in CJ is like going to hamburger university.

Nothing easy about it with an accredited school, anyway.

Whoa dude, the classes are mostly in the 101 category.. English 101, Psych 101, Biology 101, etc.. pretty much any associates can EASILY be obtained by someone with 3 brain cells.

And that is from someone who went to Irvine, U of I Urbana, and USD

Well Hanz, if that was the memory you have of your school experience, it sure is a world away from the courses I'm in and have been now for just over 60 credit hours worth. Worlds apart. To each their own tho..and I'm glad you had an easier ride in California's University system.

i would re-read that.. 2 were in Ca. and they are not considered sub-standard/ Also, University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana is/was rated higher than most universities, at least when I went thru.

The point is that having people of questionable ehtics/morals AND limited IQ (below 130) is a recipe for what we have now, disaster..

I spent enough time in LE to absolutely DREAD when we had interaction with them. Besides the petty wannabe 'frat boy' attitudes, the pompousity, and the close mindedness.. no wonder they couldn't measure up to the Federal levels and standards.

not to butt in here...but an IQ of 130 is the start of what is considered genius .... I don't know that we need genius cops out there but slightly higher than ... you know ..... can we say "retarded" in here....not sure

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   

UxoriousMagnus

Bedlam

I felt guilty for laughing at your post....but that is a very funny thought. DS people are so sweet and awesome....they would make the best cops ever. If you tried to argue with them....they would start to throw a fit though.

and they tend to be unusually strong....so that could come in handy.

Here ya go.. bear in mind this guy has DS and this is meant as benign, please view before scoffing.

found this a few years ago. I hope this guy is doing well

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   

!!!!! didnt know if to laugh or cry at that!!!!!

IQ of 60? What the hell? You want to give retarded people badges and guns? What idiot thinks that will end well?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Speaking on education a two-year degree requires no effort. Just show up and you pass. Now, if you're trying to be head of your class or stand out for whatever reason then yeah things get a little harder. Now you actually have to turn in a significant percentage of assignments as well as show up.

School isn't hard. Just show up and regurgitate back what the instructor wants to hear. Things only get difficult in some masters work when you start having to balance thinking for yourself with what the instructors/review board want to hear. See, there you have to demonstrate independent thought within the boundaries of the field of study but you can't rub the grain the wrong way or you may run afoul of the personal opinions and beliefs of those in charge of educating you.

It's all a game. A very easy game. The hardest part is paying the bills for it all.

CJ is one of those degrees routinely handed out by for-profit "schools" that advertise on television like ITT Tech and University of Phoenix and DeVry.

In one spot you can get a CJ degree and be certified in HVAC repair. As long as your check clears of course.

Anyone can do anything. It's just a matter of not bouncing any checks and repeating things you don't understand until you do understand either the material, the mechanical tasks involved or what it is the instructor wants you to say to make him happy and get your grade.

I have a wall covered with certifications and degrees and all flavors of worthless nonsense from two-year, four-year and post-grad programs as well as a few technical-school type certs. I was a "credential collector" for a number of years after high school. I'm still collecting but now I'm focused on physical and skill related accomplishments like shooting sports and powerlifting. I know my intellect can do whatever I want it to do now I need to see if my body can. So far it's more of the same. Just show up and put the time in and the scores increase and the weights move up.

If you think it's really hard or that it takes a special something to accomplish anything you're either trying too hard or you're doing it wrong.

edit on 13-2-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Is there a connection to be made with what is told in THIS ATS THREAD?

Police behaviour is the answer on a changing society. No level headed good educated person would like to join the police in the first place. Unless there is no other job available .. of course.

It is a spiral going into a direction we will all regret, if not now certainly later. Nobody ever made a serious attempt to look at where the problem comes from and try stop it.

edit on 13/2/2014 by zatara because: of words

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

I cannot wait to transition out of law enforcement. I have 18 classes left to finish my BS in Business Administration. Once I complete it, I am done.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I hate to jump in here because I know darn well I'm going to get flamed to death.

But... In the course of my career I have been shot at least 4 times (luckily none were life threatening experiences) stabbed, beaten, I could go on, all just INVESTIGATING things. I don't even want to go into the number of times people have pulled out multiple guns when they actually realize they are going to be arrested (and I deal exclusively in just Civil Rights cases, go figure) and scream that they will not be taken alive etc etc..

(oh and before i get told I have a less than average IQ, it was measured at the hugh hundreds last time I checked, and I do have multiple Masters from college.... requirement of the job...)

Everyone is on edge these days, regular people, police alike... it's a sign of the times.

Do I agree with some of these local officers and how they handle situations? No.. But.. I have fired back, and I have killed another human being in the defense of my own life in the course of my employment, so I understand the split second decisions that need to be made. It's not always easy.

There have also been allegations that cops get off easier, and no matter how many times I reiterate that the Federal portions of these cases takes YEARS to resolve, they don't seem to understand that. Any officer that uses excessive force where it's clear their life was not in immediate harm or danger, faces a very vigorous Civil Rights investigation, amongst other Federal investigations and while this process may take YEARS not weeks not months, YEARS (up to 6 sometimes) it does happen, and they are punished, with very few exceptions.

To lump every officer in Law Enforcement in the United States into a big pot that says "You are all evil jerks" is wrong. To Say that because people do their jobs sometimes (someone mentioned arresting people over plants, well in some places those "plants" are highly illegal and growing them is a Felony crime and can be prosecuted and you can be arrested, they were doing their JOB as defined by the laws.. Personally I would look the other way on something like that, but I don't have to enforce that law as a part of my job.)

The bottom line is, unless you can say without any hesitation that you would be able to make that split second decision any differently given the exact same situation (and not just that you would decide differently, you would have to actually be IN the situation, adrenaline pumping, loud screaming going on, rushing time etc.. ) then and only then can you judge. Until then leave that part up to the juries (which are just people like you and me) and the investigators that do their jobs and ensure that these incidents are investigated and prosecuted..

I'm just so sick of the bash the police threads.. (esp when some members can't see past calling the police "pigs" I find that highly offensive)
edit on 1322014 by vkey08 because: just because I'm educated doesn't mean my spelling has gotten any better with time LOL.. I freely admit *that*

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I originally PM'd this to you but I guess I am a glutton for punishment.

I just find it funny how you can say that all police officers are bad, yet you were in the military.

www.uchinanchu.org...

www.thecrimson.com...

www.globalresearch.ca...

I can post plenty of other links.

How many innocent people have you killed? Children? How many people have you sexually assaulted?

www.cnn.com...

Have you ever thrown a puppy off of a cliff and laughed about it?

I have done none of the above, and I am sure you haven't either.

So would it be fair for me to say all military members are rotten or scum?

No, of course it wouldn't be right. That is why I don't do it.
edit on 13-2-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I'll say to you what I said to someone else. This is my OWN life experience, and what I have directly lived for the better part of 3 years now in accumulating my required credit hours to advance into the 4 year University on a transfer degree. I don't know what school some people here attended or what instructors they had. Easy *IS NOT* how it can be described everywhere, period. Know it all works...unless you can't know what you're talking about and frankly, no one is capable of telling me what MY OWN school is like unless they attend it with me.

Now I took CIS 101, and I loved it. Thats MS Office, but they can't call it that for Copyright issues. It was one of the funner classes I've had. A friend of mine took the same class by another instructor. This one was a Masters instructor in another field and ran a CIS 101 class like it WAS a Graduate level course. Quizzes every class period, no less than 2 homework assignments per day of class, without exception and a failure rate pushing 50% for a 101 MS Office class! Now that IS NOT an exception to be unique. It's unusual, but by NO means unique. I've had 2 courses myself that were MADE to be much harder than they could have been because a jerk on faculty decided to run it like their little University course and really bust chops to every last detail.

This is just one example of what I'm talking about and frankly, it surprises me from people who claim to have attended and graduated college. It makes me doubt the claim outright, and I won't even be nice about saying that. The experiences I'm seeing are so common and SO easily understood to how it happens and most likely happens everywhere, that ignorance is what I believe I see to hear someone praddle on about how eeeeasy ANY degree is to get.

What degree do people have, specifically, who are claiming *ANY* level of accredited degree is "easy" or basic stuff to look down on and insult? Nothing about 'Denying Ignorance' to become educated is worthy of ridicule and those doing it say far more about themselves than they ever do about those they ridicule for it.

That's my two carrots and something I've been holding back saying for a bit...but there it is, and it is how I feel, from my own, personal and unique set of life experiences for this area and college system. Experiences may and WILL vary..but this one is how it works here. Simple and Plain.
edit on 13-2-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

At the end of the day its not the degree (If it a regconsied and accredited) but the person doing it.

Everyone has to start somewhere and that start may be simple classes. But its how they do and what they go on to do that counts.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

What degree do people have, specifically, who are claiming *ANY* level of accredited degree is "easy" or basic stuff to look down on and insult?

It's not an insult. Maybe your approach just needs some tweaking.

For reference purposes only: dual BS's IT and psych, a half dozen CompTIA certs, at least 4 MS certs that I can find, certified wheel-builder (that was fun), certified WEMT, certified firearms instructor pistol and carbine, I have an AS in chemistry around here somewhere.

There's more but you get the idea. Mechanical, social sciences, technology, medical science.

Just show up, go through the motions and make sure the check clears.

If I had to label any one as "hard" it would probably be the wheel building cert because the final test was timed and my nipples kept getting stripped. I chose the fancy nipples for my wheelset and they were of a softer metal.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join