It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Killed By COPS........Outnumber Americans Killed In Iraq War

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Overall well stated on the thread .. however myself did four tours in vietnam with s.o.g and many others did four tours with other units there was never any mention of it being harmful .. gov didnt ( and still doesnt ) give a rats ass about the troops much less about citizens .. not surprised in the least more killed by police in amerika than in combat .. always did feel safer in combat zones than did stateside ..
***************************************************************************************************************

Vietnam is when they started to go away from the one or two tour deal for sure....

but you ending statement is maybe the most powerful thing I have heard....that a soldier would say he feels safer in the battle field than stateside ....

well....thanks for adding your thoughts....and insight.
edit on 12-2-2014 by UxoriousMagnus because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2014 by UxoriousMagnus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Snarl
reply to post by Bedlam

LOL. Ronald McDonald Hamburger College used to be a Very respectable cert.

I wondered if anyone knew what that was.

ETA: Thinks -blushes- admits his first degree was the ACJ.

Ok - what did YOU think about it as a degree? Some of the smaller local colleges back home offered it as a two year, mostly junior colleges or ripoff schools like DeVry. It was really popular with junior college jocks.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Bedlam

Wrabbit2000

I attend college with guys pursuing criminal justice majors...

A cj is down there with vet assistant and theory of basketball. An associates in CJ is like going to hamburger university.

I'll be honest and hope none of my cj friends see this who'd know to recognize me, but I looked over that program at one point and wasn't terribly impressed as a toughie for the 2 year level. 4 year may get more complex..I have no idea. At 40yrs young and starting a second career, pursuing law enforcement isn't even in the dream category if it did appeal to me. (which it doesn't)

Still, it's the same issue though. Criminal justice core classes may be easy and those graphics core classes I took were a joke for actual structure or formality as any regular classroom would think of it. (listening to MP3's while playing with zebras in photoshop is one memory I'll keep...and says a lot..lol). The other 75% of an associates is the same for graphics, criminal justice, basket weaving or business. Same courses, and generally the same levels (Math can vary) and all required whether we ever cared to know the sub-types of primates and early man ...or the tales rock strata can tell..or not. Nothing easy about it with an accredited school, anyway.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
All people need to see this!

Them! want to control Us.
so they Must make us the enemy.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

"The error seems not sufficiently eradicated, that the operations of the mind, as well as the acts of the body, are subject to the coercion of the laws. But our rulers can have authority over such natural rights only as we have submitted to them. The rights of conscience we never submitted, we could not submit. We are answerable for them to our God. The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. If it be said, his testimony in a court of justice cannot be relied on, reject it then, and be the stigma on him. Constraint may make him worse by making him a hypocrite, but it will never make him a truer man. It may fix him obstinately in his errors, but will not cure them. Reason and free enquiry are the only effectual agents against error. Give a loose to them, they will support the true religion, by bringing every false one to their tribunal, to the test of their investigation. They are the natural enemies of error, and of error only. Had not the Roman government permitted free enquiry, Christianity could never have been introduced. Had not free enquiry been indulged, at the era of the reformation, the corruptions of Christianity could not have been purged away. If it be restrained now, the present corruptions will be protected, and new ones encouraged. Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now. Thus in France the emetic was once forbidden as a medicine, and the potatoe as an article of food."

This is the actual quote and as you can see it has nothing to do with what you think it has more to do with being free to practice whichever religion we choose.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Part of the the problem with PD's corruption, read this some time back, was the independent(or state) hiring of law enforcement.

Thinking in terms to curb the corruption:

• Due to policing concerns in Spokane, Wash., an ombudsman was appointed to monitor complaints and violations. Right now, there's talks of the Ombudsman being too dependent on the PD, which surely would cause some conflicts with the monitoring, etc.

• Changes in what is "use of force":

SPOKANE, Wash.-- If you have a gun pointed at you, that may change your life forever. Now, when Spokane police officers point a gun at you it is considered a use of force.

continued...
The change took place May 23rd, 2013.
The Spokane Police Department changed the way it classifies an officer pointing a weapon at someone. The change came from Chief Straub in his 2013 Training Bulletin #4. He informed officers that directly pointing a firearm at an individual is considered a use of force.
- Source

• Many places are having police where cameras on their person. It's possible that it's inhibiting some "bad behavior", or at least in the few stories about it.
edit on 12-2-2014 by dreamingawake because: of

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

pointing a gun at someone is ASSAULT be definition.

And last time I checked, a CRIME

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

HanzHenry
reply to post by dreamingawake

pointing a gun at someone is ASSAULT be definition.

And last time I checked, a CRIME

Yeah really, good that was addressed there finally.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

Bedlam

Wrabbit2000

A cj is down there with vet assistant and theory of basketball. An associates in CJ is like going to hamburger university.

Nothing easy about it with an accredited school, anyway.

Whoa dude, the classes are mostly in the 101 category.. English 101, Psych 101, Biology 101, etc.. pretty much any associates can EASILY be obtained by someone with 3 brain cells.

And that is from someone who went to Irvine, U of I Urbana, and USD

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Rule of Law is supposedy what governs modern society but is an ambiguous term in that those who carry it out are often exempted from it,. There also seems to be the question in the minds of some as to whether or not it should apply to governments and their agents and officials as well as to individuals and private entities. However, properly, it is indiviuals who should enjoy the utmost freedoms and governments who should be most restricted.

edit on 13-2-2014 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Although law enforcement keeps records of all who die in the line of duty , no city, county, state or federal agency keeps ANY track or record of civilians killed by law enforcement.
So the only way to track numbers is to read every news paper in the US and watch every local news chanel and that doesn't count the ones not even reported. So good luck even getting any numbers.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   

OLD HIPPY DUDE
Although law enforcement keeps records of all who die in the line of duty , no city, county, state or federal agency keeps ANY track or record of civilians killed by law enforcement.
So the only way to track numbers is to read every news paper in the US and watch every local news chanel and that doesn't count the ones not even reported. So good luck even getting any numbers.

How about then adding in all the beating victims who survive?

And those wrongfully arrested due to corruption and PLANTED EVIDENCE!

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Bedlam
Ok - what did YOU think about it as a degree? Some of the smaller local colleges back home offered it as a two year, mostly junior colleges or ripoff schools like DeVry. It was really popular with junior college jocks.

Like you say, it was a joke ... a ticket punched. I had almost forgotten about it. IIRC, I had to take all of six classes. Everything else was credited towards other formal and OJT.

I'm not kidding ... A Culinary Arts degree from RMHC carried weight back in the day. 'Way' more than my Associates' which was only a necessity for promotion points.

ETA - To stay on topic: CSB: For all its laughability, carrying a degree in CJ can really go against an LEO in a court of law. If the defense EVER makes a point of it, every officer of the court making side bets favoring a conviction, visibly slumps when the question is asked.
edit on 1322014 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   

dreamingawake
Part of the the problem with PD's corruption, read this some time back, was the independent(or state) hiring of law enforcement.

Thinking in terms to curb the corruption:

• Due to policing concerns in Spokane, Wash., an ombudsman was appointed to monitor complaints and violations. Right now, there's talks of the Ombudsman being too dependent on the PD, which surely would cause some conflicts with the monitoring, etc.

• Changes in what is "use of force":

SPOKANE, Wash.-- If you have a gun pointed at you, that may change your life forever. Now, when Spokane police officers point a gun at you it is considered a use of force.

continued...
The change took place May 23rd, 2013.
The Spokane Police Department changed the way it classifies an officer pointing a weapon at someone. The change came from Chief Straub in his 2013 Training Bulletin #4. He informed officers that directly pointing a firearm at an individual is considered a use of force.
- Source

• Many places are having police where cameras on their person. It's possible that it's inhibiting some "bad behavior", or at least in the few stories about it.
edit on 12-2-2014 by dreamingawake because: of

yeah Spokane PD is about as corrupt as they come.....ex: Pastor Kreech, Zimmer (not sure on sp on those).....the list is long and disgusting.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

we are hiring recruits with an IQ of 88 or less (not kidding...well documented)

OP, I'm just curious on this..but can you link to where that's a confirmed requirement by a real world department or agency? I'd be very interested to see that. I attend college with guys pursuing criminal justice majors for the local Police Department and state crime lab. Neither will hire anyone without long term experience, military service (and that's no blanket thing as an automatic, depends on what and how long) or a minimum of an Associates degree from a 2 year with preference given to a Bachelors.

No one with an 88 IQ is making it through everything required to get an AA these days, IMO.

edit on 12-2-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

W2K,

sure! Here you go:

"Law makers dropped the maximum IQ requirements a whole 30 points from an average score of 90 to 60, an IQ that is only marginally higher than that of a person with down-syndrome."

Link: http://_national_report_dot_net_/mccormick-sc-police-force-drastically-lowers-required-iq-minimum-new-officers/

"A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city."

Link: abcnews.go.com...

"This is not the first time I’ve seen a story like this, it is apparently typical hiring policy for police in many areas. Let’s face it, they want a dumbed-down police force that’s just smart enough to follow orders. We just can’t have our police thinking too much or questioning procedure!

This story says that the average I.Q. for a cop is 104, if that is accurate it means there are thousands of police with I.Q.’s in the 80-100 range"

Link: nyletterpress.wordpress.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   

crazyewok
All i can say is how the hell do you produce such incompetent, gun happy , brutal, yahoo police?

What sorts of idoits do you recruit? Do you even have police training?

My first hand experiance of NY was shall i say shocking. And from what i see on ATS i likely got some of the more proffesional ones!

At the very least you guys should disarm your police like the UK and have a small core of highly trained rapid responce armed police recruited from the best. That way your cops will have to use there brain first.
edit on 12-2-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

That question is easy to answer. You recruit from the same imbalanced population that is being policed!
I have dealt with the police on more then one occasion and their first impulse is to draw their weapons!
It's no surprise they are shooting so many people when they barge into houses without announcing their
presence. Many of these police are seriously psychotic and easily perturbed! Many of them are type A
personalities. Meaning they always need to be in control! They enjoy the power of being master to
those they come into contact with and when they are resisted even verbally they will tend to respond
with a Baton, Taser, Mace or even their fist!
I'm not saying all of them are so violent and ruthless because there are good cops out there but they are
far and few between! Because of the unwritten Blue code of Silence there are very few cops that will
narc on the bad ones and even if they do they will find this code blocking their way from sending
these cops where they belong!
I believe as this world degrades into chaos we will see less good cops on the job as they will retire or
quit because of their integrity! We have already seen as much in the military as well as the political
world! I believe their will come a time where the police will be used to deter those fighting for truth
and they will no longer pursue misdemeanors! I expect we will also see the federal government start
to police the population for political reasons! As the prisons fill to capacity with those trying to unite
the people we will see more criminals out on the streets until none are safe! This will be the time of
the gangs! All sorts of them maybe even good guys but they will be the same as with the police now,
they will be few and far between! I realize this is all conjecture but I believe this is the future we
will see and many will try and live in hiding off the grid and out of site! I even believe that in the
end the government will fall to pieces! As the land is poisoned and the resources go the way of the
dinosaurs! It's a shame if we would have embraced the peace movement in the 60s instead of listening
to the government who demonized them as no good hippies then maybe our lives would be different
today! Well I guess all civilizations fall as they become less civil!

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

Thank you for the reply. That's one of those it really takes reading to fully grasp the stupidity of. No pun intended.. lol...

I can only say that isn't their attitude where I live for either the city department or the county sheriffs office, and hiring standards seem to vary pretty greatly between areas, obviously. I suppose where one chooses to live can have a great deal to do with quality of life and in some ways folks wouldn't first consider.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   

HanzHenry

Wrabbit2000

Bedlam

Wrabbit2000

Nothing easy about it with an accredited school, anyway.

Whoa dude, the classes are mostly in the 101 category.. English 101, Psych 101, Biology 101, etc.. pretty much any associates can EASILY be obtained by someone with 3 brain cells.

And that is from someone who went to Irvine, U of I Urbana, and USD

Well Hanz, if that was the memory you have of your school experience, it sure is a world away from the courses I'm in and have been now for just over 60 credit hours worth. Worlds apart. To each their own tho..and I'm glad you had an easier ride in California's University system.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

Thank you for the reply. That's one of those it really takes reading to fully grasp the stupidity of. No pun intended.. lol...

I can only say that isn't their attitude where I live for either the city department or the county sheriffs office, and hiring standards seem to vary pretty greatly between areas, obviously. I suppose where one chooses to live can have a great deal to do with quality of life and in some ways folks wouldn't first consider.

I don't disagree with you there....where I live...I must admit....the Sheriff department are all good people that you can for sure have an intelligent conversation with. But I live in the land of Ruby Ridge where the locals don't really put up with corrupt or idiot cops .....

My point, I guess and concern....is that it is a spreading theme across America to lower IQ standards for police departments. I think this has more to do with city police than rural Sheriffs etc.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Jeez! Makes me want to move out of the USA.

I wonder if my mullet-having, drug-using, wife-beating, drunk-driving, rude in public attitude will be too much to put under "Specail Abilities" on my Alaska State Troopers application.....

I don't want to be over-qualified, I'm jobless you know? Is this my last resort like the military as a teen?!

I think I would feel safer re-enlisting for another tour in Middle East than have a life being hassled by LEOs.

Good thread, thanks for the read. S&F
edit on 13-2-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join