It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Killed By COPS........Outnumber Americans Killed In Iraq War

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

EyesOpenMouthShut

UxoriousMagnus
we are hiring soldiers coming back from many, many tours in Iraq and Afghanistan

I find this one hard to believe as a reason police are trigger happy. Maybe those vets turned
cops are more "no nonsense" but being trained previously with target assessment and escalation of force
I seriously doubt there is a high number of questionable shootings by these people

EDIT: i don't think street cops need to have anything more than a baton,tazer, and pepper spray since they can't seem to use common sense with their sidearms
edit on 2/12/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/12/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: typo

I think you might want to look into this. During WWII and even Vietnam.....doing more than one tour was considered a no-no because of the mental damage that is caused.

During the Afgan and Iraq wars....we are seeing guys do more than ten tours over there. This has never been done or allowed before in American history....it is extremely damaging to the psyche of that person.....

so if you have soldiers coming back from multiple tours (2-10) and then get snatched up by law enforcement.....they are already damaged goods before they get in there.

Plus...their operational standard that they are used to is completely inappropriate for the streets of America

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

thesaneone

crazyewok
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

Its a shame. A huge one. There should a huge drive to go back to that.

Policeing should be a gentlemens proffesion not a hired goverment goons.
Hard to be a gentleman when the criminals act like animals.

My cousin came back from Vietnam Nam after three consecutive tours. Never got a scratch. Took a job as a Local LE in our hometown and got shot and stabbed his first year. THAT was a long time ago.

If you've seen my posts on LE, you know I hold them to Very high standards that they rarely measure up to. That said, the environment they operate in has become very unfriendly.

No Knock warrants are BS 99% of the time. Taking a perp into custody isn't necessarily the best course of action if they've decided they don't want to come in willingly either.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Snarl

thesaneone

crazyewok

Its a shame. A huge one. There should a huge drive to go back to that.

Policeing should be a gentlemens proffesion not a hired goverment goons.
Hard to be a gentleman when the criminals act like animals.

My cousin came back from Vietnam Nam after three consecutive tours. Never got a scratch. Took a job as a Local LE in our hometown and got shot and stabbed his first year. THAT was a long time ago.

If you've seen my posts on LE, you know I hold them to Very high standards that they rarely measure up to. That said, the environment they operate in has become very unfriendly.

No Knock warrants are BS 99% of the time. Taking a perp into custody isn't necessarily the best course of action if they've decided they don't want to come in willingly either.

They do have a tough job...but I feel we have set them up for failure .... having the war on drugs and giving them too much operational money to spend on things like tanks etc.

and not stomping on the bad apples. If a cop does something wrong....he needs to get jacked up....legally speaking ... then people would trust the system and not fear and hate LEO's

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

crazyewok
What sorts of idiots do you recruit?

not idiots, Americans!

They don't care if this schools, shopping malls, cinema's, streets, markets, unis.. its not cops. Its Americans!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

then the statement should be "Improper and/or inadequate psychological evaluation prior to employment"

just because a veteran has mental issues doesn't mean they are going to snap at a moments notice and go on a killing spree.
Thats a stereotype of the worst kind.
I am one of the "damaged" veterans you speak of and as such do as most of us do and stay home, keep to ourselves avoiding civilians as much as possible.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

A very well respected member do this site sent me a note on this topic. It said, "It's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better." And, I believe that's spot-on.

I'm infuriated that local LE agencies are accepting 'free' equipment from the Feds. THEY are the ones creating a nationwide arms race. And, they are oh-so proud to roll that stuff down Mainstreet (remember Boston?)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

EyesOpenMouthShut

then the statement should be "Improper and/or inadequate psychological evaluation prior to employment"

just because a veteran has mental issues doesn't mean they are going to snap at a moments notice and go on a killing spree.
I am one of the "damaged" veterans you speak of and as such do as most of us do and stay home, keep to ourselves avoiding civilians as much as possible.

I am one too...which is why I feel I can say such things

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Snarl

A very well respected member do this site sent me a note on this topic. It said, "It's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better." And, I believe that's spot-on.

I'm infuriated that local LE agencies are accepting 'free' equipment from the Feds. THEY are the ones creating a nationwide arms race. And, they are oh-so proud to roll that stuff down Mainstreet (remember Boston?)

does....he cry alot?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

we are hiring recruits with an IQ of 88 or less (not kidding...well documented)

OP, I'm just curious on this..but can you link to where that's a confirmed requirement by a real world department or agency? I'd be very interested to see that. I attend college with guys pursuing criminal justice majors for the local Police Department and state crime lab. Neither will hire anyone without long term experience, military service (and that's no blanket thing as an automatic, depends on what and how long) or a minimum of an Associates degree from a 2 year with preference given to a Bachelors.

No one with an 88 IQ is making it through everything required to get an AA these days, IMO.

edit on 12-2-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Badges ARE Redcoats!

In every way, shape and form.

Hopefully they will meet up with TRUE Patriots

"doing a job", "following orders", etc.. NEVER is a valid Excuse. There are EVERYDAY assaults AGAINST our constitution and the Once FREE Republic.

Every Cop that has:
1. engaged in Revenue Generation
2. Stop and Frisk
3. Swat Raids
4. arrested someone for doing with their own body as they please with no harm to another
5. arrested someone for a Plant
6. Arrested for an empty SHELL CASING!!---- FFS!!
7. thrown an American out of their home for the PROFIT of a foreign entity
8. deprived ANY American of their Bill of Rights
9. Participated OR perpetuated the FOR PROFIT prison industry
10.. and On and On, etc, etc. YOU are the BIGGEST Enemy to the American Republic on the ENTIRE EARTH..

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

we are hiring recruits with an IQ of 88 or less (not kidding...well documented)

OP, I'm just curious on this..but can you link to where that's a confirmed requirement by a real world department or agency? I'd be very interested to see that. I attend college with guys pursuing criminal justice majors for the local Police Department and state crime lab. Neither will hire anyone without long term experience, military service (and that's no blanket thing as an automatic, depends on what and how long) or a minimum of an Associates degree from a 2 year with preference given to a Bachelors.

No one with an 88 IQ is making it through everything required to get an AA these days, IMO.

edit on 12-2-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

LMFAO!!

an associates degree? seriously, that requires any amount of IQ..

what tripe

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

EyesOpenMouthShut

Mental issues..

And admitting the "stay and home.. avoid civilians"

really does NOT help your argument

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Would be hard for a thug of IQ 88 to get even a interview! Also dont know about the US but they get very good pay too.

The average IQ of American police officers is actually higher than that of average Americans. 88 is borderline retarded, and while I know the kneejerk reaction will be to make a joke or claim this is true, it's not. I believe the average is 105 among police officers. They also get fairly good pay after awhile and excellent benefits. I took a political science class from a Sheriff's deputy that was making about $80k a year with overtime (just from police work and I want to say it was closer to $100k). I can't remember his rank. It's not about IQ.

It's estimated that 400 people are killed in the US annually by police. So yeah, around 5,000 since 9/11. Of those, do you really believe 0 were justified? I'm quite certain there are a number that weren't justified. The number is disturbing, but let's be real here. Not every one of those shootings was unjustified. The vast majority most likely were. Putting all the blame on police is ridiculous. There were 794,300 police officers in the US in 2010 (It's most likely higher now). Even if every fatal encounter was a different officer, and every encounter wasn't justified that's 0.62% of officers (my math may be off). I don't think that's a high enough number to throw all cops under the bus.

The problem isn't JUST the police. It's society as well. Of course everyone wants to point the blame finger at a group they aren't a part of, but look at certain areas and demographics. Look at all the crazies. Look at how many people take crazy drugs and have access to weapons. What laws are the police following? Who elects judges? Who elects police chiefs? Are you really going to blame a cop that shoots a guy running at him with a knife?

We certainly shouldn't be complacent about police shootings or brutality. They are highly disturbing. I would like to see all of them investigated to the fullest. There is clearly corruption, especially in the larger and older Departments. That needs to be worked on too.

I agree that police should be held to a higher standard. I think that any officer that would protect another if aware of wrongdoing should be fired, put on a national registry so that they can't be rehired by another department and given a meaty prison sentence. Any cop who is convicted of abusing their authority should receive the maximum sentence. There should be other sets of eyes on these incidents as well. Frankly, I don't know who those eyes should belong to. There are too many people with an automatic dislike for cops, but only having cops from a different Department investigate is a conflict of interest. I don't know if having a panel of elected officials with JDs and experienced investigators would be a good idea, but it seems like one.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Tyrants = ALL COPS.. according to Thomas Jefferson, dont agree? argue with HIM!

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

You COPS are actually the SOLDIERS CARRYING OUT TYRANNY...

Despicable.. not just ENABLING TYRANNY, CARRYING IT OUT!!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

HanzHenry

LMFAO!!

an associates degree? seriously, that requires any amount of IQ..

what tripe

Your experience in determining that comes from...what exactly? It's not that I'm offended, because the statement is a bit silly. I'm just over my own required hours, if not math requirement for my Associates. I can assure you that not every course required by the State and Federal government in getting that first basic level of degree is easy or basic. Some are tough and some, it's just a real tolerance required for dealing with mountains of B.S., without let up. Some courses, I really and truly enjoy too...but easy isn't how I'd term much, if any of it.

Easy ended when I left the graphics program, and even it still required the general education requirements like everything else.

88 isn't making it, IMO. Not even with full time tutoring.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

HanzHenry

Do you have a linky to that quote by him I can't seem to find it.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

I attend college with guys pursuing criminal justice majors...

A cj is down there with vet assistant and theory of basketball. An associates in CJ is like going to hamburger university.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

LOL. Ronald McDonald Hamburger College used to be a Very respectable cert. I've often regretted not going when the opportunity was presented.

ETA: Thinks -blushes- admits his first degree was the ACJ.

edit on 1222014 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

UxoriousMagnus

EyesOpenMouthShut

UxoriousMagnus
we are hiring soldiers coming back from many, many tours in Iraq and Afghanistan

I find this one hard to believe as a reason police are trigger happy. Maybe those vets turned
cops are more "no nonsense" but being trained previously with target assessment and escalation of force
I seriously doubt there is a high number of questionable shootings by these people

EDIT: i don't think street cops need to have anything more than a baton,tazer, and pepper spray since they can't seem to use common sense with their sidearms
edit on 2/12/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/12/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: typo

I think you might want to look into this. During WWII and even Vietnam.....doing more than one tour was considered a no-no because of the mental damage that is caused.

During the Afgan and Iraq wars....we are seeing guys do more than ten tours over there. This has never been done or allowed before in American history....it is extremely damaging to the psyche of that person.....

so if you have soldiers coming back from multiple tours (2-10) and then get snatched up by law enforcement.....they are already damaged goods before they get in there.

Plus...their operational standard that they are used to is completely inappropriate for the streets of America

Overall well stated on the thread .. however myself did four tours in vietnam with s.o.g and many others did four tours with other units there was never any mention of it being harmful .. gov didnt ( and still doesnt ) give a rats ass about the troops much less about citizens .. not surprised in the least more killed by police in amerika than in combat .. always did feel safer in combat zones than did stateside ..

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

thesaneone

HanzHenry

Do you have a linky to that quote by him I can't seem to find it.

www.monticello.org...

pretty easy quote to find..

Swat raiding milk farmers, people with plants (medicine), etc..

those that CARRY out tyranny are Worse than those giving the orders..

Not blaming cops would be the same as not blaming the German soldiers actually attacking because "hey, they are just FOLLOWING ORDERS.. Hitler is the one we should be mad at" darn the guys actually pulling the triggers..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join