It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm losing some of my memories, and I think that is a good thing...or is it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I retired from the military almost three years ago. Left without a second glance and to be truthful, I don't miss it. The last four years of my career were hell. Not because of bad guys trying to kill me. Hell, I expect that. But rather my own people who were so political (work type, not D or R) that seemed hell bent on either killing me on stupid missions or through their own inepitude. I know, lots of you have these problems as well. But I'm not ranting...it's something different.

Family and friends have mentioned to me that they can now understand me when I speak to them. To which my reply is usually "Huh?"

I'm told I don't speak using acronyms anymore. I still stay in touch with some of my old Army buds and every now and again I have to ask them what the hell did they just say. And after them spelling it out for me, I realized that I already knew that acronym.

It's weird, at least to me. Hell...maybe I'm just moving on and what is in the past is in the past.

But then again...

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I hear ya... I retired from the USAF a few short years ago, and I am finally speaking "civilian English" again...

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

TDawgRex
I retired from the military almost three years ago. Left without a second glance and to be truthful, I don't miss it. The last four years of my career were hell. Not because of bad guys trying to kill me. Hell, I expect that. But rather my own people who were so political (work type, not D or R) that seemed hell bent on either killing me on stupid missions or through their own inepitude. I know, lots of you have these problems as well. But I'm not ranting...it's something different.

Family and friends have mentioned to me that they can now understand me when I speak to them. To which my reply is usually "Huh?"

I'm told I don't speak using acronyms anymore. I still stay in touch with some of my old Army buds and every now and again I have to ask them what the hell did they just say. And after them spelling it out for me, I realized that I already knew that acronym.

It's weird, at least to me. Hell...maybe I'm just moving on and what is in the past is in the past.

But then again...

Man , I always ' miss it ' . Defining point in our culture ( when I'm thinking BIG ).

But , memories ? Two of my sisters swear I ( and they ) had a wonderful childhood . THESE are their ' memories ' . You can't expect an eight year old girl do do anything... when their little brother is abused. Best to not remember.

It's only when they realize they could lose their ' BRO ' ... that the memories come back.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by madmac5150

Maybe now that we are free of the "System", we've learned how actually communicate again?

But there is still a part of me that misses having entire conversations in acronyms. The looks on those around us was priceless.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Bazart

But , memories ? Two of my sisters swear I ( and they ) had a wonderful childhood . THESE are their ' memories ' . You can't expect an eight year old girl do do anything... when their little brother is abused. Best to not remember.

It's only when they realize they could lose their ' BRO ' ... that the memories come back.

I have a sister (I'm the baby male out of five older sisters) who always breaks down saying I was abused. Hell, I deserved the majority of my @$$ whoopings because I was a wild child.

As for the being abused part. It was my sisters as far as I'm concerned doing the abusing. Trying to put make-up on a ten year old boy. Really!? THAT'S abuse!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

TDawgRex

Bazart

I have a sister (I'm the baby male out of five older sisters) who always breaks down saying I was abused. Hell, I deserved the majority of my @$$ whoopings because I was a wild child.

As for the being abused part. It was my sisters as far as I'm concerned doing the abusing. Trying to put make-up on a ten year old boy. Really!? THAT'S abuse!

Well , none of us should whine outside the UNIT. But , I say that memories are more relative than Einstein ever knew. We will take or leave them as the mission demands. Thanks, S/F.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I sometimes spring out of bed thinking I'm gonna be late to formation or that I'm missing an alert. Might have something to do with substituting a necktie for the uniform and not leaving the environment. Still, I can't keep up with changes in the jargon.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
There are many sublanguages in the English languages. These private languages are everywhere, some sort of way to identify you with a group of people. If someone says they were in the military and weren't, they would not know how to speak the dialect and it would be easy for someone in the military to tell they were not military.

Don't worry OP, as soon as you get together in person with your buddies and other military personel, it will flow out again. It is like riding a bike.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

rickymouse
Don't worry OP, as soon as you get together in person with your buddies and other military personel, it will flow out again. It is like riding a bike.

While during my last tour in Iraq, I actually had a 82 page, double sided list of acronyms and their explanations. Of times there were repeats, and you had to look at how they were used in the report otherwise it would screw you all up.

For instance:

PIR = Parachute Infantry Regiment
PIR = Primary Intel Requirements (um Priority Intel Requirements)

etc, etc...

And it has gotten worse.

edit on 12-2-2014 by TDawgRex because: All because of Snarl...Gawd I hate that guy!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Do they change those often? To make you feel old and needing to retire? It's like changing emoticans to make the younger people feel better.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

"Priority" ... Priority Intel Requirements!! What's the matter with you? Are you losing your memory or sumpin'?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Snarl

"Priority" ... Priority Intel Requirements!! What's the matter with you? Are you losing your memory or sumpin'?

Huh? Speak up! I can't hear you?

Do I know you?

See! See! I'm forgetting!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

rickymouse

Do they change those often? To make you feel old and needing to retire? It's like changing emoticans to make the younger people feel better.

Of course not! It's the military...they rarely change when it comes to reports.

But they keep adding on and adding on...

As for the emoticons, I still prefer the old school way.
Take a hot mag of 9mm you acronyms!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I hope your not using this as an excuse to get out of your date?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

crappiekat
I hope your not using this as an excuse to get out of your date?

I actually have that written down on my calendar just so I don't conveniently forget. Along with some beer in the fridge just in case I need to forget it after the fact.

new topics

top topics

join