It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panicked Shoppers Fight Over Food Amid ‘Snowpocalypse’

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

AK907ICECOLD
[

To be blunt: some are awake, and some are asleep.

And some people just can't do it.

Instead of looking down on people maybe you can give some advise.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

thesaneone

AK907ICECOLD
[

To be blunt: some are awake, and some are asleep.

And some people just can't do it.

Instead of looking down on people maybe you can give some advise.

I'm stating a fact and not looking down on anyone. I promote healthy living even as a mountain man and hypocrite time to time. I had mentioned about survival techniques in books, bought or barrowed from a local library.

For example in a SHTF secnerio the public library is the #1 place to go if your lost, visiting, or live in a area because of the immediate reach of possible endless info on massive varieties of knowledge. Maps, medical, blueprints, building. Etc.

There was a book by Cody ???? I read two years ago. An Indian that had that show on Discovery Channel. The first half of he book is all about having a stable mental health in a bad situations. That instantly makes or breaks if you live or not.

If interested I can give more details and info for great books, training, and courses available, and possibly free of cost.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

You realize BC is a rainforest right, and unlike calgary we get wet snow that packs down into snow/ice that just get's endlessly thicker as you drive on it. We do it, UP and DOWN mountains, what is the problem? Learn to drive in the conditions and pay for good winter tires and you will be fine.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

People can be quite quick to criticize, but fear is fear. The good thing about these events is that they may encourage others to spend a little more time considering preparations. Having seen how most cities handle snow and ice, there is no one particular place that has figured out all of the bugs. The difference is that people become more complacent when faced with bad weather in cold climates. In Canada, where a foot of snow is common place during a storm, and electricity is relatively reliable, more often than not, people find themselves panicking when the power goes out. Then the bread shelves go empty, and people fight over generators. Same old panic. There is no place immune to meteorological events, so I am more apt to show concern than judgement in the case of Atlanta.

Couple of fun facts: tires marketed for southern states are not going to respond well to ice and snow. Different formula, respond better to heat.
Chains can save your life, but if you don't have any, 1/4 inch screws are commonly used to make ice racing tires, and can be used for emergency traction. They of course will ruin your tires.
If you drive a Diesel vehicle, fuel south of north Dakota is normally grade B, with a lower cetane ratio and a high propensity to gel in cold weather, so consider fuel additives and a desiccant.
Cheap backup generators have an expected useful life of 20 hrs before service! Gotta love planned obsolescence

Be safe!

AX
FTNWO

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I live in NC, we got 4 inches here, which is the equlivent to a blizzard to people here
What did I do in all this?
Sat on ATS, made a lasagna and laughed at the people losing their damn minds over this

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

You must have some Canadian genetic markers in you.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

I don't see how the type of weather has any effect on people becoming irrational or not tbh.

Floods, a few inches of snow, black ice, hurricanes...it's all the same if the worry is resupply vehicles are not going to be stocking grocery shelves isn't it?

Being used to hurricanes means you'll know the trucks might not get through the debris, and that doesn't cause this kind of panic shopping, yet somehow being a stranger to snow, which produces the same problem of the truck not getting through to restock the shelves causes panic?

The truck doesn't get through and the shelves don't get filled, regardless of WHY the truck can't get through.

This was probably a handful of idiots spreading fear and it unfortunately caught on and spread like wildfire..(which is a lot scarier than snow)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

masqua
reply to post by HomerinNC

You must have some Canadian genetic markers in you.

What makes you say that? I'm from New York and was stationed in Alaska for about 4 years, so I dont panic when we get some snow

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

This was probably a handful of idiots spreading fear and it unfortunately caught on and spread like wildfire..(which is a lot scarier than snow)

LOL thats usually the way it goes

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

I live in a rainforest, too, but further south. You do realize that being further south, even in that same strip of rainforest, means warmer temperatures, right? BC is colder than Seattle and Seattle is colder than Portland. It's called latitude. BC, logically, gets more snow/ice than Seattle or Portland. BC is likely to have more municipally run plows, sanding trucks and more than say Portland.

People learn through experience. If people have very little experience with something, they are technically novices at it and prone to mistake. The more experience they have, the more they have learned how to deal with it and have gained skill.

You're barking up the wrong tree anyways as I am actually fully capable of driving in more typical snowy weather without chains and with RWD. We had a freak snow just a couple years ago while my daughter and I were out shopping. I was passing by 4wd vehicles that had spun out or got stuck and never slid once. This last storm was very different.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Whatever, This last summer Alberta had a flood of the century. Massive amounts of water is most definitely something we are NOT use to.
Yes, a lot of damage was done, our entire downtown core was under water, and completely shut down pretty much the entire city.... Never before did anyone here experience anything on that level.

Were there riots? No.
What happened was a huge number of people instead banned together to help out everyone that needed it.
A couple friends and I got together a generator, some hot dogs and stuff, and went down to this old folks home were one of my buddy's dad was at, and spent most of the night cooking food for these people that were stranded and helpless.

I think the point I'm trying to make is, don't use "oh I'v never seen this before, so I'm going to act like an idiot" as an excuse.
... but I do realized that is asking a little much for the majority of people. lol
edit on 19-2-2014 by SalientSkivvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
The local Walmart does such a poor job restocking certain supplies, there is always something we don't get at Walmart because they seem to have empty shelves for weeks at a time. I visited a week later. It was in the 70's today. All the snow and ice melted except for a little that was stacked high in parking lots. All see through packs of ground beef were missing, just like last week. I bought the last big box of buttermilk waffles in a certain brand switched to after the eggo brand dissappeared. Many pizzas were still not restocked. I've read comments online that Walmart in general has been out of stock on some items in every single store and together with long check out lines, shoppers are doing more and more shopping elsewhere. Walmart forces you to shop elsewhere when they don't keep their shelves stocked. At least other grocery stores seem to be able to restock their shelves. At some point, saving a few dollars might not be worth the hassle of going to Walmart hoping they have restocked certain items.

I'm buying less and less at stores that don't restock their shelves or have long check out lines or keep moving items around in the store making it hard to find. My local Walmart does all three.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join