It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panicked Shoppers Fight Over Food Amid ‘Snowpocalypse’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe

ketsuko
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Plus, TWC has seriously jumped the shark.

Once upon a time, they used to actually do weather, now they do overly indulgent self-promotion and so-called reality TV.

Dear Lord... Can I just agree with this? I don't get TWC anymore but my parents do. I SWEAR by all that is holy that every time I go over there (once a week), they are showing people digging up crystals, gems, rocks, etc. for at least the last 6 weeks. Not one bit of weather to be had on The Weather Channel.... Who would have thunk?

You are not the only one who has noticed this!
It's actually been a topic of conversation around here for awhile.
That & never showing the' Local on the 8's'!
Duh! It's called on the '8's. Not, 'once in a while, when we can fit it in'!!!
At first when they started showing Storm Stories & all the other ones,
they would have the 8's on the half hour. Then it was on the hour.
Now you can wait for hours to see one!

Pretty sad, when The Weather Channel, doesn't provide the weather anymore!!!
And all the hype about never having to wait for a forecast anymore after November!
Right..the current temperatures for the U.S. on the bottom third? That's no forecast!
And when one of their 'stories/adventures' is on, the bottom third is a blue blank anyway!!!

Whenever we need a forecast the most, it isn't on for hours!!!
Especially during a tornado warning! We don't have sirens around here!
Sure your phone can get alerts. By county. A county is pretty big!
I want to know if the tornado is going to go through my back yard!!!
The internet goes out here if Bigfoot sneezes, so we need to see the radar!!!
Come on WC! Can we see some weather???
WOQ

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
AGHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! THREE INCHES and there's panic!?!?

Back in December, Calgary broke record of snowfall with 48.3 cm... or 18 inches..
It sucked, but there was definitely no riots in grocery stores or anything ridiculous like that.
The worst we had to deal with was digging out your car after the snow plow came by. lol.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SalientSkivvy

And if you averaged three inches in two years how do you think people would react?

I'm so sick of people comparing Atlanta to areas that see snow in feet per year. You have no idea what it's like down this way. There is no comparison to other places.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Are these behaviors typical of southern hospitality? Funny how any sign of a brake down in the system looks the same no matter where it happens.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

I just got done shoveling more snow in the north this morning. I forgot milk... Damn.

I'm glad I still have my ski mask and bullets left over for my AR from 12/21/12. Time to go grocery shopping, it started snowing again.

People down south amaze me. I wish I lived higher up in the north, my igloo is starting to melt!
edit on 13-2-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Individuals are just fine, groups of people cause for panic. I understand what your saying.

But any "real" man knows to breath, take in a awareness of his surroundings, plan, and take action.

Which seems not many know how in Atlanta. The sleepy got scared because many woke up.

Lack of intelligence and knowledge in ones life of preparedness cause for fear and a danger to others.... Like Atlanta.

Justify all you want, you have a very poor excuse for your comment. Can you think of another that makes more sense?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I really wonder what foods they were fighting over.

With the electric grid down, and can see a run on, cash (bank run), gasoline and bottled drinking water, along with some basic foods. I'd like to know what disappeared off the shelves first to help with a prep list.

Of course, I've weathered many a winter storm here in the woods and most stores around here have back-up generators. It also helps that we live on the boarder of two different grid systems (one hydro grid and the other coal plants) so we have a choice of a few towns to do a run on. Although I don't have a snowmobile, that would get you where you needed to go as it's legal on the road sides here.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I just find the behavior in general very telling, no matter the situation. Yes, they don't get much snow/ice in the southern half, but it is in all honesty like any other "natural disaster". Prepare, prepare, prepare!

Power outages happen in any type of strong storm i.e., tornados, thunder storms, wind storms and yes, even snow and ice storms. Even if you have canned fruit or vegetables and a manual can opener you will survive. Candles are amazing sources of light, you can even play card and board games with your children by the light they cast. Make eating the canned stuff an adventure; "Hey kids, who wants a can of what? We've got corn, green beans, fruit cocktail and baked beans." Then open them up, hand out spoons and play a riveting game of candyland by candle light while wrapped in blankets.

Keep it simple, stay calm and STAY INSIDE!

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
HAHAHA!!!! They need to just calm down. I used to live in Alabama and I remember all the craziness from any talk of snow. Now I live in Ohio and it's just another day in the park.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow....MIB

It is a perfect example of what has happened here. Although Atlanta may not get snow or the other southern states is it not like it whipped up in 2 hours. There were DAYS to prepare. Like Katrina. Except here the Governor and Mayors all told residents what to do and how to prepare.

No power means no cell phone chargers...no computers...no iPads...then people will worry about food and getting to work. In that order. Hell, most people cannot make a pot of coffee now let alone bake bread.

Sorry, this Snowmegeddon is just hype so no one looks into Obamacare, Iran moving warships, Snowden releasing more documents, the US declaring that they will do drone strikes based on cell numbers/towers and more and more and more. All the while the POTUS hosts a 5 million dollar dinner for a foreign dignitary.

Take care of your own, your family and have a plan. There is NO reason for these types of actions except that we are lazy ass americans....

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

Generally, one's life experience tends to be the basis on which one can build a response to an extreme situation. You're referring to areas that do not typically get snow and not in any sort of decent accumulation. The level of snow experience in those areas is going to be, logically, pretty low.

I live in an area that also does not receive any snow or ice for most winters. Snow is typically rare here and funding for snow plows and other preparatory devices in US cities that do not typically get snow/ice is probably pretty low as most US cities are struggling financially. While cities in the NE may have plenty of snow plows, sanding trucks and more, these cities that do not typically receive snow typically don't have a whole lot of any of those. I know that there was one snow plow that came through to clear out the main artery in my area during our most recent snowstorm but the side streets and residential areas were left blocked. Kind of silly because that just meant that a good number of people without chains couldn't reach those main arteries and were trapped like rats. Again though, considering that most families live from paycheck to paycheck, how many in areas that do not typically receive snow are going to run out and buy chains for a storm that, in their experience, is unlikely to happen?

It's about budgets and experience. That's why these cities, when struck by snow, do not respond as well as cities that get regular snow accumulations every winter. If anything, going out before a snowfall hits to pick up food supplies in advance of a snow storm for these places is more intelligent than assuming that one can drive just as well on snow/ice and attempting to drive in it for supplies. In fact, that is exactly what you're saying people should do--they're aware of their surroundings, their own measure of abilities and they are responding by buying groceries pre-storm because they know that they have little experience driving in snow/ice. Not everybody checks the weather every morning, especially when the winter has been mild. A good number of people were wearing shorts and got caught in it out where I live. Imagine getting caught out in shorts for 6 hours in subfreezing temperatures.

That's the difference that Zaphod is referring to. If you expect snow because that's what you usually get every winter, then it's likely that both you and your city/town are going to be prepared for it. You'll be more likely to go out being appropriately dressed because the temps have been consistently low and functioning chains would be on your priority list. In places where it's unusual and the temperatures may have been in the 50's, how high on that priority list would be snow chains and heading out for the day in a winter jacket/gloves?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

matafuchs
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow....MIB

It is a perfect example of what has happened here. Although Atlanta may not get snow or the other southern states is it not like it whipped up in 2 hours. There were DAYS to prepare. Like Katrina. Except here the Governor and Mayors all told residents what to do and how to prepare.

No power means no cell phone chargers...no computers...no iPads...then people will worry about food and getting to work. In that order. Hell, most people cannot make a pot of coffee now let alone bake bread. Sorry, this Snowmegeddon is just hype so no one looks into Obamacare, Iran moving warships, Snowden releasing more documents, the US declaring that they will do drone strikes based on cell numbers/towers and more and more and more. All the while the POTUS hosts a 5 million dollar dinner for a foreign dignitary.

Take care of your own, your family and have a plan. There is NO reason for these types of actions except that we are lazy ass americans....

I would give you 2 stars if I could, so the next best thing is to quote your entire post in my reply so it can be read again. Pardon my emphasising your words, it's my form of flattery lol.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

MichiganSwampBuck
I really wonder what foods they were fighting over.

With the electric grid down, and can see a run on, cash (bank run), gasoline and bottled drinking water, along with some basic foods. I'd like to know what disappeared off the shelves first to help with a prep list.

Of course, I've weathered many a winter storm here in the woods and most stores around here have back-up generators. It also helps that we live on the boarder of two different grid systems (one hydro grid and the other coal plants) so we have a choice of a few towns to do a run on. Although I don't have a snowmobile, that would get you where you needed to go as it's legal on the road sides here.

Ramen noodles, beer and Doritos...not necessarily in that order...Plus wait till you see how many kids are born in September/October in Atlanta....

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Take a good hard look people across the world when something happens and you are not prepared you are screwed. It is a sad world we live in today the very reason it is bound to happen at some point here.

I believe it will be an economic collapse or a less likely solar flare taking out power. The economic collapse is only a matter of time it has to happen. What it will look like is anyone's guess but I figure store shelves will be empty as a back run grips the country and world. After that who knows.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SgtHamsandwich

The winter before I left Alabama, there was a storm that dropped a couple inches. To plow they had to bring out construction equipment. To salt the road, they literally had a guy in the bed of an F250 with bags of salt dumped into it and a shovel. There were areas they couldn't salt because they would have gotten stuck.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

3 inches of snow shut the city down, and caused food riots?

WTF america?

you want a real winter? Move to the canadian prairies.
www.bubblews.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

No salt here. 10s, or thousands of feet up and down mountain sides in the snow. Stop whining about your 6.6cm(3inches) of snow, it's pitiful. Average canadian snowfall is twice that and we function normally.

Hell, we drive up and down mountainsides.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Big difference is you get snow all the time they don't.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

Yeah, I guess this is true.

I suppose it's kind of the same as people being used to extreme heat, or heavy rains.... Which you have to be accustomed to all of if you live in BC, 40C summers, Tons of rain, Snow and -12c winters.

We're earthlings.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Does no-one keep ANY emergency food? I've got a couple of months easily in my home at all times. Baffles me that some people don't have more than a couple of days.

If there's ever a major catastrophe, those idiots will be tearing the place apart and blaming those who've had the foresight to store food for their own hunger. Preppers be warned.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join