It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panicked Shoppers Fight Over Food Amid ‘Snowpocalypse’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Oh no, another 3 inches coming?

It's a wonder the Canadians haven't cannibalized themselves yet…

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

I lived in the South for six years and in TOTAL saw less snow than that. You can't compare it to places that get a lot of snow, because they don't. They tend to get less in two years than other places see in two days.
Someone who gets it.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Those dirty birds threw eggs at the Saints bus, so no, this doesn't surprise me.

Somewhere, those in power are watching this, rubbing their hands together and thinking-

How can I make this happen in EVERY city???

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Snowpocalypse is bad, but then so are these other descriptors:

In a warning issued early Wednesday, National Weather Service called the storm "catastrophic ... crippling ... paralyzing ... choose your adjective.”

www.cbc.ca...

Why not just tell people the truth… that it’s going to snow with periods of freezing rain, which will make roads hazardous and tree limbs break onto power lines, possibly causing power outages?

There’s no good reason to scare folk into going all radical. Just lay out the facts and tell them to keep calm and prepare. But, hey, yelling 'catastrophe' rivets viewers a helluva lot better than facts.

I look out my window and see this:

Nobody’s panicking around here, but it’s Canada after all. We’re used to it.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

funny that this one's called Pax. Pax means "peace" in latin, lol.
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Get Out, called PAX!!!. no kidding?

So Haarp is true and they are testing peoples behaviours. Preparing stats for when a big one "whatever" is thrown at the people

Great ghost of Huxleys Brave New world!

Peace is War, good is bad..Police state is Benevolent Government,

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mistressofspice

Even if you lose power you may be uncomfortable, but again, you won't starve & you won't freeze to death.

In the north, we pray for it to stay really cold outside, if our power goes out. It gives us good food storage in the snow.
When it warms up in the winter, that just brings another set of problems.

Shouldn't everyone have at least a weeks worth of non perishable food at all times, just in case? Running out at the last minute clearing store shelves in a panic just sounds like excessive drama.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Part of it has to do with the tornados in Alabama a few years ago. The forecasters were warning people the Sunday ahead, and ended up screaming about them on Tuesday. When they hit on Wed, people were stunned at how badly the area got hammered. Since then every storm I've heard warnings for have been the strongest warnings I've ever heard.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

That explains it then. Forecasters need to go wild eyed, screaming dire adjectives and spray spittle at the camera before anybody listens.

Got it.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Just about. They were practically begging people to get ready, and warned that one of the biggest tornado outbreaks ever seen was coming. People completely ignored them until the tornado was on the ground.
edit on 2/12/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Atlanta's not used to snow.Its like a foreign occupation to them or something.Mass over reaction fueled by sensationalist headlines,IMO.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawg61

I'm a little south of there heading through there tomorrow. It's not over reaction. Most of the roads have been emergency travel only, and they've told truck drivers to find an alternate route through the city area.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

So the people need like a months worth of food?I consider that an over reaction.The roads are unpreparedness.
Edit:Like other posters I'm looking at layers of snowstorms that haven't melted in like 6 weeks now.I guess I don't feel their pain...

edit on CSTWedpm3861 by TDawg61 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawg61

How do you prepare when you don't have the equipment? There is no reason for them to have a fleet of plows and equipment since they don't see much snow.

People have been told to expect days without power, which depending on how bad it was could become longer.

Eta: And you live in an area that sees a lot of snow obviously. Imagine if you lived in Hawaii, and got snow. That's almost what these storms are like down here.
edit on 2/12/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Maybe they didn't USED to see this much snow.We are in a"Polar Vortex"now,what ever that means.Georgia better be ready next year

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I don't know about you guys, but I've just about had it with winter at this point... Can someone bring on the spring now, please ?!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

TDawg61
We are in a"Polar Vortex"now,what ever that means.

A polar vortex is a long duration cyclone located near one of the poles.
It was first documented or theorized in the mid to late 1800s and was officially classified as a weather phenomena in the 1950s.
I keep seeing people, not saying you, claiming this is some new invention by TPTB to explain severe weather when it has been around , officially, for upwards of 50 years now.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The typical southern state snow storm is only one to two inches of snow that seems to melt away by the next day. I've seen a snowstorm here in South Carolina that melted within 2 hours. They do not have very much snow equipment for snow or ice storms that usually melt away within a day or two. Think about all the roads across a large city and imagine just a few trucks to treat the roads with salt or sand. Snow plows I just do not see at all. Up north I remember seeing snow plows every day in the winter. It doesn't make sense to spend 100's of thousands of dollars to buy something that might not get used until the year 2024. It has been at least 9 or 10 years since I've seen this much snow and ice in the south.

Many of the drivers around here leave something to be desired on a normal day. Every state has idiots but the idiots around here drive as well. Then you have people from up north driving down roads here they don't think are that bad at 40 mph and grandma gets on the road and goes 5 mph. I believe they tell everyone here to stay off the road to reduce the hundreds of accidents that happen every time. Apparently the last minute snow storm shoppers like to raid milk, bread, and ground beef from the grocery stores. I go to the grocery store almost every week. I went a day early due to the weather this week. It looked like zombies had already raided the store. Almost all milk was gone. All ground beef was gone. More than half of all frozen pizzas were gone. This was in Walmart. I wanted to return an item before they said I had it too long. I think they restocked bread.

Almost every business and store was closed today in my area. Up north, the snow plows would be running and it would just be another day. Here it's a state wide emergency. I think one or 2 salt and sand trucks put a litte bit of something on the main road through town. Nothing has been plowed. They just close everything up here rather than spend money preparing for a once in 10 year event. It is cheaper that way.

I think they do have a snow plow for the interstates. That really makes the news if the interstates get shut down due to wrecks after only an inch or two of snow. I've seen them get practically shut down for hours just because of a wreck on a normal day.
edit on 12/2/14 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
If scientists are wrong about global warming, more frequent snow storms could be common. Scientists never think they are wrong until the facts prove it. If the south averages 8 inches of snow every year for the next 10 years, they might buy some snow plows. That would be a significant yearly increase possibly justifying spending hundreds of thousands of tax payer dollars. I used my snow shovel today. When I moved here over a decade ago, the moving guy said I wouldn't need it. Only used it twice since then and I could have just waited for the ice to melt. There are no laws here about removing snow anywhere.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

I think the groundhog was right this year. He predicted 6 more weeks of winter. Just wait until next week and we'll have Sochi weather again with highs in the 60's, hopefully.

I'm ready for it to rapidly melt Tommorrow.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join