It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panicked Shoppers Fight Over Food Amid ‘Snowpocalypse’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The current snow storms have apparently triggered some high emotions.

Grocery stores getting ransacked.

Fights.

Also power outages and abandoned cars.

If things get worse, will it trigger riots as well?

Empty shelves in Atlanta merely foreshadow future mass panic in America.

Atlanta residents ransacked neighborhood grocery stores in frantic preparation for their second major snowstorm of the year, waging fights over food items and leaving destruction and empty shelves in their wake, a stunning precursor to what will ensue once a major crisis impacts the U.S.

After three inches of snow shut the city down two weeks ago, causing major havoc and leaving miles of cars stranded on immobile roadways, the residents of Atlanta took heed and shopped early.

Panicked Shoppers Fight Over Food Amid ‘Snowpocalypse’

More stories

Storm Wipes Out Power for Thousands in South

Atlanta area braces for ice storm; 4 die in Texas

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
This is normal winter weather.

There is no reason to fight over stuff. Just do your shopping in advance and plan for stuff that doesn't need to be stored in climate control.

Clearly, people in Atlanta need to learn how to handle this stuff a whole lot better. If they can handle hurricanes, why is winter weather that much different?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

OMG, WTF is wrong with these people???? We had 6" of snow then another 6" followed plus 2" of ice, 2" more snow and then another 1/2" of ice, followed by another 6" of snow and then another 5" of snow and in the last two days another 2" of snow, IN A FIVE WEEK PERIOD. That's southern Ontario. The next door neighbor and I had to get a front end loader in, just to remove about 10 to 12 tons of snow and ice from our driveways, but life goes on eh. I've been to Atlanta before and didn't find the drivers too terrible bad, so what the hell has happened in the last 10 years? Did everyone just get stoopid?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Some people aren't used to snow.

I have the 'privelage' of living in the snowiest city in the U.S. so i laugh at stories like this but i have to remember that it doesn't snow everywhere.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
How long have people known this storm was coming? I think at least a week. Would it not have been prudent for these people to hop on over to the local Winn-Dixie and buy a couple pounds of hamburger--like last Friday? Nut, nooooooo! Instead we have to enter panic mode. Maybe everyone here ought to go buy some canned beans or something, ya think? There is just no excuse for this kind of behavior. Bunch of grasshoppers!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Because the media hyped it up more than what's needed. Sure they should warn the public but calling it apocalyptic and stuff only fuels fear and doesn't relay the importance of having a plan. Plus it's Atlanta if too many people fart at the same time stuff will go down. I have told so many of my friends how in the world are we not capable of handling snow we only get it every year. And on a side note I wanted all the people who abandoned their vehicles fined.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
It's sad to say and of course its not everyone but it is the vast majority. The people of Atlanta and the surrounding communities act like savage little animals. Yes, i know from experience. This type of behavior from them doesn't surprise me in the least bit. I wonder what would happen if they had a real emergency...

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
2 things stand out for me:

1) Atlanta is ill-prepared with the required equipment
2) Calling it Snowpocalypse just sends the wrong message, freaking everyone out.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

ketsuko

There is no reason to fight over stuff. Just do your shopping in advance and plan for stuff that doesn't need to be stored in climate control.

Clearly, people in Atlanta need to learn how to handle this stuff a whole lot better. If they can handle hurricanes, why is winter weather that much different?

Um, we don't get hurricanes. We're in ATLANTA. *eye roll*

And it's not normal winter weather...for us. Ice is crippling.

But yeah, people don't need to fight over stuff. Out of bread? Buy FLOUR and bake some danmed bread.

Typical human behavior, though, when something "different" comes along. Key response: freak out and act irrational.

Life will go on, even if the "comforts" aren't there 24/7.
edit on 12-2-2014 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

Sorry, you still get tropical weather systems.

And calling them Snowpocalypses and Snowmageddons is old hat by now. They started doing it at least two years ago. It was why they started naming winter weather systems. They had all those big storms and were running out of "cute" winter weather snow storm names to give them.

No one else freaked out. We thought it was cheesy.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

bobs_uruncle
so what the hell has happened in the last 10 years? Did everyone just get stoopid?

Cheers - Dave

Have to say it. Because, ya know? I'm "That guy."

Yes they are.

People are actually pulling guns on plow drivers doing their jobs because you know that those plow drivers just loves to close off driveways. Thankfully, no one has been killed yet because of such stupidity.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

It's obvious you know little about people (and life) here. We get 1" of snow and people raid the stores. We get ice and snow, and it's far worse. Sure, the media might have hyped stuff up, because we aren't prepared to deal with this (as far as normal operation and infrastructure). Last time (two weeks ago) the gov' was siting on its ass while the news was saying it was coming and see what happened. This time, they paid attention and went all out, and things are better (because they closed stuff and ppl stayed home, yet still raided stoes). And because it's less predictable than up north, you see what happens.

ETA: You might thing it's cheesy...because it's not happening to you. You're on the outside looking in.

edit on 12-2-2014 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Well, I'd say the reason why they started naming them is because it has become a bit of a hurricane equivalent in the Southern states, at least. It IS kind of cheesy but, at the same time, if somebody says it's going to snow in Alabama, then odds are people would think the individual is a bit on the dotty side. Naming it makes it more serious, I guess.

It's just kind of funny that this one's called Pax. Pax means "peace" in latin, lol.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by Liquesence

Sorry, you still get tropical weather systems.

Yes, we get RAIN due to tropical systems. LMAO. Hardly comparable.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

The South averages a few inches of snow a year. When they get that much at once they don't know how to handle it. Especially when you add a lot of ice to it.

link   

masqua
2 things stand out for me:

1) Atlanta is ill-prepared with the required equipment
2) Calling it Snowpocalypse just sends the wrong message, freaking everyone out.

Point 1: Agreed.
Point 2: Hey, it got ppl's attention. :/

link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

No, they started naming them for everyone because TWC wanted to drive the hype and felt like those of us in the North felt left our because we didn't get named storms or something. Plus, TWC has seriously jumped the shark.

Once upon a time, they used to actually do weather, now they do overly indulgent self-promotion and so-called reality TV.

Don't think they are doing things just because of you guys down there. This is channel wide silliness on their part.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

ketsuko

I live in Georgia, born and raised, and this isn't ''normal winter weather'' for Georgia. I'm 42 years old and I've seen a few winters here, and this isn't normal for us. EDIT: And I'm not condoning looting and all the other nonsense, I'm just stating this isn't normal for us here in Georgia.
edit on 12-2-2014 by poloblack because: made an addition

link   
Here's a news flash from one of the snow capitals of the US (upstate NY); SNOW MELTS! ICE MELTS! It melts faster if your in the south than in the north! You just need to hunker down for a day or two until the storm passes. You will not starve to death or freeze to death in a day or two until the weather reaches more normal conditions. Even if you lose power you may be uncomfortable, but again, you won't starve & you won't freeze to death. Yes, I do know this from personal experience. A year or two ago our furnace went out in February. It would be a week for the repair man to get the right parts to fix it. That week was the coldest of the year! Uncomfortable, yes! Intolerable, no!

I'm tire of the media hyping up these storms. It's ridiculous!
edit on 12-2-2014 by mistressofspice because: added a location to better back up a point

link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

I lived in the South for six years and in TOTAL saw less snow than that. You can't compare it to places that get a lot of snow, because they don't. They tend to get less in two years than other places see in two days.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join