It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just ate spaghetti....…

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I have been on this horribly restrictive diet (autoimmune protocol if you want to check it out) for a condition I suffer from. Hoping to see if it helps with my symptoms, as it has others. Anyway, it's a ton of work to prepare the food; while I love cooking and creating yummy foods, I don't want all my free time to be spent in the kitchen. So.......a friend brought dinner by, trying to help out, since I am back in school and have small children. Very nice gesture of her, and I was not about to look the gift horse in the mouth and tell her I couldn't eat it. Spaghetti, salad and garlic bread. I caved and ate 2 freaking bowls of pasta! Having a beer now..... Enjoying it, but feels like I am gonna effing pop! Everything I ate, aside from the salad greens and meat in the sauce is stuff I should be avoiding. I am pretty sure I am gonna pay for this tomorrow and for a while after. I freaking sucks. BUT, at least I have a potential treatment that, if I can stick it out, will help me.
Ugh, I'm sorry. I have just been really frustrated with my restrictions, and now I am disappointed in myself for giving in.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
It's worth the suffering sometimes to eat like that. If you remove something from the diet all together it seems like you get more intolerant to it. i'm allergic to milk but still drink it once a week. I get a little problems the next day but I know to remove it completely isn't good either. I am intolerant to starches also, they make me bloat. I am not sure if it is a gluten intolerance though, as I can eat barley and rye flakes with no problem. I think it is a wheat allergy or intolerance. I can also eat breads that are sourdough ryes, if there is a lot of rye in them no problem.

A treat like that once every couple of weeks is not going to kill you...I hope not anyway. Just don't go back to the way you were before.

Sounds like you may have problems with eating too much glutamines.
edit on 12-2-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by chelsdh

Don't beat yourself up about it. I've been researching different options for myself and my mother bc we both suffer from fibromyalgia and degenerative spinal conditions as well as arthritis and she was already diagnosed with hashimotos and now is working with doctors at Stanford bc they think she has another rare autoimmune disorder.

From the research I've done it's obvious that these diets are extremely hard to follow bc they are very restrictive and we're surrounded by food that is what we like but is basically killing us. I am not looking forward to the restrictions, but I am looking forward to gaining some control over our health issues. I'd give anything to feel better so I'm going to do it!

I also know that I will have moments of weakness... But I'm not going to get down about it. We're human and food is a huge part of our lives.

Good luck on your journey and I hope your diet helps you to be healthy and diminish your health issues!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I don't know, did you have a question or something? Maybe try ziti?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Good god! The only thing you can eat is water!
Sorry bout that, your condition must suck.
Have you looked into herbal alternatives? Im not one to believe garlic can cure cancer or parsley can cure whatever, but you seem to have digestion issues. I know your overall health starts in the bowel so it needs to be healthy and big pharma doesn't do it much good. If you have not already done so find somebody local in the holistic trade and ask away. They might be able to help you, it's worth a shot.

Good luck

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
You may not be looking for advice, but I suffer from the same thing. Hit me when I was around 35 and now am 43. When I eat clean I look 35. When I don't I look terrible and carry around a boatload of water weight, sometimes up to 10 pounds and it feels like someone's luging in my gut. I have become a crazy lover of quinoa, and only make pasta with quinoa now. I actually prefer the taste to wheat pastas. It's more expensive and pay attention to calories, but oohhhhh my. So much better for you.

I also eat a lot of spaghetti squash. It is ridiculously delicious and doesn't affect me at all, as a matter of fact it is cleansing if you know what I mean.

As far as milk-----if anyone can afford it use goat milk products. Believe it or not, the human body was never intended to ingest bovine juice, and goats milk is much closer in composition to human----doesn't elicit the same responses.

Also a great digestive enzyme with every meal really helps me. The goods ones are expensive but worth it. There's a bunch of wonderful combo enzymes and specific products to break down gluten as well.

I won't bore you with linking all this information----but can give you lots of background if you don't want to take my word for it---cheers and good luck with that. And, if I meet my health and weight goals, I'm never shy about cheating now and again.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Thanks for the advice/encouragement. The only things I am "supposed" to eat is meats, veggies (not including nightshades- potato, tomato, any kind of pepper, goji berries....), and fruits. The no nightshades and no eggs makes it a really restrictive paleo diet. Normally, I don't hop in board with extreme diet changes like that, but seeing that it has helped me the short amount of time I have been on it, and helped others with the same condition, I can't just shove it aside. I just really felt bad for giving in. After one goes a while without grains.... wow, they make you feel like you are gonna pop!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by chelsdh

Try NOT EATING for awhile... studies have shown that a vey selfish organism will do whatever it takes ( within reason ) to survive. They'll eat ANYTHING ! Why else would you torture yourself with toxic animal milk ... twice aweek ?

Listen to your components.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

SilverStarGazer
reply to post by chelsdh

Don't beat yourself up about it. I've been researching different options for myself and my mother bc we both suffer from fibromyalgia and degenerative spinal conditions as well as arthritis and she was already diagnosed with hashimotos and now is working with doctors at Stanford bc they think she has another rare autoimmune disorder.

From the research I've done it's obvious that these diets are extremely hard to follow bc they are very restrictive and we're surrounded by food that is what we like but is basically killing us. I am not looking forward to the restrictions, but I am looking forward to gaining some control over our health issues. I'd give anything to feel better so I'm going to do it!

I also know that I will have moments of weakness... But I'm not going to get down about it. We're human and food is a huge part of our lives.

Good luck on your journey and I hope your diet helps you to be healthy and diminish your health issues!

Have you had a blood test to check your vitamin D levels? I'm just asking because my Dr and now a rheumatologist told me that my test results are showing auto immune readings. When I heard that I went on the net and found that there were many conditions that can cause these readings. I went back to the dr and asked for iron levels, calcium levels and vitamin D levels. The dr said "okay, I'll run them but I am sure its auto immune with osteo arthritis.

Well, the results came in a couple of days ago: my vitamin D levels should be around 80, mine are 14, even though I get plenty of vitamin d in my diet and my multi vitamins. Check out the symptoms for low vitamin D, its a match. Now, either my stomach lining is not absorbing nutrients correctly (though I've been gluten free for over a year) or there's something going on with my parathyroid, so I am holding off on all the plaqinil, etc meds until I've seen an endocrinologist and gastrotologist (did I spell that right?) for further testing. If nothing is wrong with my parathyroid or stomach lining I'm going on prescribed doses of vitamin D for awhile to see if all the pain, weakness, numbness goes away.

Background: My mother has lupus sle but the pain has never let up along with muscle wasting, numbness and fatigue….. She is going into the doctor next week and I am going with her to ask them to check her vitamin D levels….. who knows, maybe she never had lupus, maybe House is right, "It's Never Lupus".

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Im a big believer in occasional fasting as well---I'm sure you already know this but our ancestors did not eat 3 squares a day. Typically, Mondays are a fast day for me. And I do a 3 day fast every 6 months or so. Nothing drastic, but lots of water and herbal teas esp. the ones good for the gut like licorice, dandelion, etc. Day two is usually juices and veggie soups to get back up to par. It makes me feel amazing.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by seentoomuch

My condition is believed to be an autoimmune illness, but not enough study has been done to determine that. Hidradenitis Suppurativa is what it is called. Check out the autoimmune protocol- its all about healing the lining of the gut. Also, a lot of people who go gluten free still have problems because the gut is still being irritated by other things (gluten reactive grains like rice, dairy, nightshades).

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

chelsdh
I have been on this horribly restrictive diet (autoimmune protocol if you want to check it out) for a condition I suffer from. Hoping to see if it helps with my symptoms, as it has others. Anyway, it's a ton of work to prepare the food; while I love cooking and creating yummy foods, I don't want all my free time to be spent in the kitchen. So.......a friend brought dinner by, trying to help out, since I am back in school and have small children. Very nice gesture of her, and I was not about to look the gift horse in the mouth and tell her I couldn't eat it. Spaghetti, salad and garlic bread. I caved and ate 2 freaking bowls of pasta! Having a beer now..... Enjoying it, but feels like I am gonna effing pop! Everything I ate, aside from the salad greens and meat in the sauce is stuff I should be avoiding. I am pretty sure I am gonna pay for this tomorrow and for a while after. I freaking sucks. BUT, at least I have a potential treatment that, if I can stick it out, will help me.
Ugh, I'm sorry. I have just been really frustrated with my restrictions, and now I am disappointed in myself for giving in.

Gluten Free isn't so bad once you get the hang of it: It's really just switching out pasta for rice or quinoa (six months ago I would not have said this) but now it's second nature to me, hang in there… you're doing great!!!

Italian restaurants make amazing risottos and also have gf pasta for the pasta dishes;

Burger places like In N Out Burger are completely Gluten Free except for their buns so they put a buzzer at the counter for you to press to let them know that you have an allergy to wheat and they will wrap your super animal burger in lettuce, oh and their cheesy fries, yum, and their root beer floats……..;

Check the web on the other burger places, most will make a protein wrap for you;

Dominos has a good gf pizza, kinda small, kinda pricey, but with double cheese it tastes GOOD!;

Glutinos and Amy's makes a pretty decent Mac and Cheese frozen dish;

Glutinos chocolate wafer oreos are BETTER than the real oreos;

Check out your city to see what it offers GF, you might be surprised.

I'm definitely not promoting the above for every day, but…. for now and then, it's great to have fun food and not have to cook it yourself

edit on 2/12/2014 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

chelsdh

My condition is believed to be an autoimmune illness, but not enough study has been done to determine that. Hidradenitis Suppurativa is what it is called. Check out the autoimmune protocol- its all about healing the lining of the gut. Also, a lot of people who go gluten free still have problems because the gut is still being irritated by other things (gluten reactive grains like rice, dairy, nightshades).

Looks like we're cross posting, k. well, I wasn't sure what I was sensitive to in the beginning either, but I did the lengthy process of the elimination diet. First, standard gluten free with the nightshades, rice, eggs, dairy, included in the diet. Do not cheat. After a month remove one, just one and see how you feel, if there was a difference add it back in and see how you feel. Then move on to the next item, you never go off them all at once or you'll never know...
edit on 2/12/2014 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

chelsdh

Well PLEASE NO HEALTH ADVICE OFFERED... but - there could be ' critters ' in your gut , which you could ' starve out ' . Starving ( though I did it on purpose - ain ' t such a bad thing. We are what we eat ... and a visual of our own gut - is evolution indeed. I wish you the best .

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

chelsdh

I just read up on your condition, and wow, that's a tough one. Sounds like paleo is what they recommend for it but to me it seems you need some additional nutritive support. I could suggest a few simple things but I strongly recommend for you to see a certified nutritionist that deals with diabetes as it might also be a factor. Has your gastro dr. recommended one?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Let me say that I suffer from a much lesser degree than a lot of others. I count myself lucky compared to many! But it is still not fun.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by chelsdh

That's great that it is at a lower rate, but according to what I read it advances in stages. Have you seen a gastro or endocrinologist?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

It can advance. Some people it does, some it doesn't. I have given up on doctors helping me. I have found no real help, beause it is not understood all they want to do is put you on antibiotics. There are surgcal procedures, but they are terribly invasive and don't have the best success rate. I was even put on accutane for a while. Did nothing. As of now, I am trying to find my own way. I have found some great sources in the.past 3 months that have helped me more than any doctor.
On a side note- I have had hs since I was 11. I was not properly diagnosed tilI was 24. I had seen several dermatologists and many family practitioners. It was my ob dr that finally gave me a name.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I just have to thank you all!

Not gloating, but rather being reminded of how good I have it. Is that bad?

Most times I don't even think about what I put down the old gullet as long as it's healthy and best of all, spicy. But then I read these stories and realize how sad I would be if I could not tolerate much of what I eat.

Thank you again. And I do hope that at some point, a cure is found for what ails ya.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

You are welcome! And I have to remind myself of how good I have it as well! I have plenty of food. Maybe not all the stuff I would enjoy most, but food none the less.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join