It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favorite piece of survival/camping/outdoor equipment and why

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I'm to blame. my wording wasn't clear enough. But i do agree with don't have to suffer, Nobody said you should have to live like a complete neanderthal in the situation

EDIT: i would never go camping in an RV and most times i dont even use a tent. luxury items in your pack shouldn't be dismissed though
edit on 2/12/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesOpenMouthShut

I must admit....I have three.... for hunting, fishing and protection

1) My .450 Marlin® lever action
2) My Emmrod® Combat survival fishing pole
3) My United Cutlery® Survival Knife

edit on 12-2-2014 by UxoriousMagnus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

love the marlin and the knife. How is the pole? i've seen them but never used one and i don't know anyone who has one

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Just my BOB. It already has beer and toilet paper loaded in it.

That's all I need.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Fridge for the beer is essential for survival.

I'm going to have to second this motion...

Disclaimer: If I didn't support the above factoid, they'd take away my Canadian membership card.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Snarl....they let you have guns in Korea?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Magnifying glass and fishing line.

You will always have fire without worrying about matches or a lighter.

Fishing line for fish and or traps and snares.

I can usually fashion pretty much anything else I need from my environment if its northern or wooded. Its the environment Im accustomed to and am most comfortable in. Plus I have years of experience in that particular setting.

However a good knife is always preferred in any situation. Beats making spear points and cutting edges out of stone.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Actually, the people who lived here long ago made stone tools and collected rocks that could create fire. I found a pile of really dense quartzite rocks and other flint containing stones while digging around here over the years. The Indians put these stones out in locations for people to start fires...sitting on top of rocks I suppose.

A knife can be fabricated from a stone fairly easily if need be. A maple tree can give you sap all year round. Know the edible plants in the area and also a snare for game would be good, a little piece of flexible wire is good.

Around here in the winter, snowshoes are a must if out in the woods. Skis work also depending on what your intentions are.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Thats a sweet rod !!!

Im into survival camping and was wondering what kind of rod would be best suited. I love fishing to and was leaning towards telescopic rods ... but that sucker is cool.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

EyesOpenMouthShut

love the marlin and the knife. How is the pole? i've seen them but never used one and i don't know anyone who has one

would be lying if I didn't tell you it is the best fishing pole I have ever owned. They are a freaking blast to fish with and I literally backed my truck over it by accident and it hardly even had a scratch. I throw it in my golf bag when I am golfing and my glove box in my truck the rest of the time.

Plus....American company....so can't go wrong there either.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
And for those of you who may find themselves stuck in the Canadian wilderness with no food to be found for thousands of miles, here's a little tip (and some important equipment to have) on how to catch yourself a tasty treat:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

A big bottle of Grand Marni-er!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

CitizenJack

Thats a sweet rod !!!

Im into survival camping and was wondering what kind of rod would be best suited. I love fishing to and was leaning towards telescopic rods ... but that sucker is cool.

yeah...I have tried all of the telescopic poles and travel poles....they all end up breaking at some point (though I am kind of rough on my gear) The Emmrod line is crazy durable. I think they even have lifetime warranty on their stuff because you can't break them....but don't hold me to that.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
gerber gator machete pro

one look and i dont have to answer why

www.gerbergear.com...

edit on pm220142806America/ChicagoWed, 12 Feb 2014 18:39:29 -0600_2u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Portable water filter, if I don't have a fancy one. This could replaced by be a metal pan, to boil water in. The previous combined with a cotton piece of fabric or any pure natural threaded fabric will act as a filter for bigger particles. This combo can give you decent drinking water. In a survival situation drinkable water is the first necessity to live.

A distiller is also good to produce clean water, however a little bit more complex to build.

Clean water can permit you to cook. Again the metal pan comes in handy.

That would be my favorite. For a nomadic or sedentary life style, these tools are very useful to lay a foundation to assure another day.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

CranialSponge
And for those of you who may find themselves stuck in the Canadian wilderness with no food to be found for thousands of miles, here's a little tip (and some important equipment to have) on how to catch yourself a tasty treat:

Im sure it would catch americans as well. that avatar is Bravo Alpha for sure

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Another_Nut

if its like the other gerber gator line i don't want it. i've broken a few gators at the handle because they arent full tang

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

My favorite piece of survival equipment is the same as my favorite piece of exercise equipment... a woman LOL, the next best would be a machete. It's just so handy to have around, the machete too.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

i believe it is full

and extra thick

ive been homeless and living in my van

i have used it for neaely everything

and no problems yet

i was also suprised as most machetes suck

but thia one has made at least one full shelter

with no signs of fatigue

eta i am in walmart purchasing torques heads for dissabling it ill tell you in a min
edit on pm220142807America/ChicagoWed, 12 Feb 2014 19:00:36 -0600_2u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
My hammock with built in mosquito net along with my IPOD full with over 30,000 songs and solar recharger.

Without those I would go insane. I hate mosquitos along with the noise they make.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join