It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Union vs. non Union... my views and yours

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Here is a great example of how wonderful union ##snipped## are:

Protesters shouted names at tourists, calling them "losers" and "jerks" as they walked inside the Cosmopolitan on Saturday, Oct. 5.

The Culinary Union Local 226 put on the rally as part of the ongoing negotiations between the hotel and the union to sign a deal.

The Alliance to Protect Nevada Jobs posted the video on YouTube and says they wanted to demonstrate that union protesters are compromising potential tourists from coming back to Las Vegas.

"You don't do that by calling tourists those names and berating them when they come here to spend their money in our city," said Ron Futrell, spokesman for Alliance to Protect Nevada jobs.

"You and your girlfriend are a bunch of losers … especially your girlfriend," said one protester with a bull horn.

Full Article

That the kind of behavior you union ##snipped## support?
edit on Thu Feb 13 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
So your a tin knocker huh? Hubby has one of the "special" shirts at home, lol

The big thing is that most people do not realize, in the building trades unions, there is no seniority, no job security, no paid sick leave no paid vacations. We work in the worst of conditions and sometimes the best. You dont work, you dont get paid. They dont like you, get laid off

That doesn't exactly help your case for them, does it? But lord knows the last sentence is true.

Hubby was in the LUINA for 11 years, heck, you might even have known him.

But I've also had experience with UAW, 80's and 90's version, Bricklayers, and Trucker union.

They had their place, when they were created. They have outlived they usefulness. And corruption still runs rampant throughout.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by doubletap

Still name calling ?
Not many support that kind of behavior.
But if you feel like lumping everyone together is the only way to get your message across to people thats your choice.

The heyday of the unions was in the 60's , Today unions are a shadow of the past, unions represent less than 10% of americas work force.
Unions had to give back , what took decades to get.
And you know what wages have been declining, and the price of products and services have risen.
The only ones who have profited are share holders, and they take the money and run after closing the business and don't bother to reinvest. So stop blaming the unions. Those golden parachutes for company board members get, bleed companys dry and leave high unemployment. Unions are on life support they are no threat to anyone.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

OLD HIPPY DUDE
Unions are on life support they are no threat to anyone.

Now the plug just needs to be pulled once and for all. They are a threat.....not as much, but just like a little tick, they still pose a threat. They just need to be eradicated once and for all.

Couldnt happen soon enough

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

You are funny, I bet you would run over a puppy in the road and laugh about it .

Grow up kid .

(post by doubletap removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

olaru12

Hoosierdaddy71

olaru12
To all the right wing union haters out there....

Don't watch TV or go to movies because they are all union shop.

Even your holy spokesman [on loan from God] Rush Limbaugh is a member of a union.

www.alternet.org...'reilly_are_afl-cio_union-affiliated_mem bers

edit on 12-2-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

Here is a list of movies filmed in Canada to avoid unions.

dadsdelights.blogspot.com...

Just saying they are not all made in union shops.

Sometimes a little research can keep us from looking like fools....
You just lost all credibility by not knowing what you are talking about.
And using a blog as evidence is so lame.

Canada has film unions just like the USA

www.masterguide.com...

www.nabet700.com...://http:

www.actratoronto.com...

I have worked in BC on a show under my locals contract. I also work on indy projects [no,low budget or New Media] that are non union and sign waivers to work on them. I have gladly worked for free on movies that were non union just to see them made.
edit on 13-2-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

Again I say wow,, there is only one reason Hollywood studios film in Canada ( MONEY )
Yes the studios up there are union, but they are a hell of a lot cheaper and less restrictive. They don't require a teamster to drive the actors to the studio. Can you sign the same waivers to work in Los Angeles? I would guess not.
edit on 13-2-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

tinner07
What would be funny is if the same people that bitch about the 1 % are the same people that bitch about the unions...

Not saying it is,

What's funny is that you don't seem to get that all of you unionistas are the 1%. All these ridiculous demands and wages because of this arrogant belief that you are better than everyone else and that you deserve 5 times more in wages than what you actually are worth. You sit there beating your chest because you get into some exclusive club - often just because you knew the right person - and you would hypocritically condemn a business owner for making the same wage as you if he had a non union business...

Why don't you educate yourself with just a few minutes of research and see how many jobs are disappearing due to over the top union demands... thousands of unemployed former Boeing workers in Washington state would be a good place to start. That's what happens when you demand many times more than what your job is worth and try to top it off with the most expensive benefits packages out there.

Nobody owes you anything. That's the difference nowadays between union and non union workers. Union workers get a paycheck. Most non union workers actually earn a paycheck.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

OLD HIPPY DUDE

You are funny, I bet you would run over a puppy in the road and laugh about it .

Grow up kid .

You sit there and cry about doubletap "name calling", but then make condescending posts about him.

Hypocrite much?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I know it's not this way for every union, but for most unions what people dislike is that you are FORCED to join one. No one should not be forced to join a union against their will. Especially if I disagree with all their union political propaganda. I should not be forced to pay dues which in turn line the pockets of union reps and then turn into massive Democrat campaign contributions.

And please spare me this garbage about unsafe work places. The U.S. government has hundreds of laws regulating work place safety that have nothing to do with unions.

Unions were an important part of American history. Time to join the present.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

OLD HIPPY DUDE

Grow up kid .

No. Puppies are actually pleasant and harmless.

The same cannot be said about union parasites.

(post by OLD HIPPY DUDE removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

I do realize that a large majority of businesses exist to exploit their workforce. You seem to champion the exploitation, which existed long before unions and still exists today despite them. So, perhaps your idea of business is - in fact - no longer needed.

The only reason the business class exists is because people are willing to trade labor for compensation, which is never a fair trade. Capitalism means exploitation - and without workers banding together and pooling their collective resources to combat the exploitation, the business class would have workers in rags, begging for food and shelter instead of demanding a cut of the profits, and a handsome one at that.

What you call 'threats' work. And I find it laughable that you, the supreme among us, should feel threatened. Are you frightened by other humans? Is that why you hide behind visions of grandeur and a false sense of superiority which anti-social behavior simply reinforces?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

What you are saying is that jobs disappear because people want to be paid and could care less about the business motive for profit. So, the business owner has no other choice than to hire day laborers or outsource work for pennies on the dollar so they (the business owner) can afford multiple houses, luxury cars and an ivy league education for their offspring who will form the next generation of greedy and self-righteous Ayn Rand worshipers. Interesting.

I love the defense of greed and misanthropy. It makes for great ridicule.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

This guy is just a Troll don`t respond to his bait. Not one righteous argument for his position.......just bait.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by brice

In most cases I hate feeding trolls. But, when the troll is approaching Poe's Law in terms of their sentiment, it's hard not to respond in order to dampen their flames. When a shill posts, which I think doubletap qualifies as, one needs to respond without mercy to their vitriol. They have nothing but an agenda, which is stoke the coals of like minded individuals who have been poisoned by force-fed points of view. I don't respond because I think doubletap is genuine. I respond because I believe that there are MANY people who share these views in some way, shape or form and they are the ones who I am responding to. If I can make one person challenge their views, then I can say I haven't wasted my time.
edit on 13-2-2014 by OrdoAdChao because: wered r hrd 2 spel

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

The big thing is that most people do not realize, in the building trades unions, there is no seniority, no job security, no paid sick leave no paid vacations.

BS My father was a life long member in the building trades union and had all those things. The reason why you don't have them is because your leaders screwed you out of them.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

doubletap

Montana
My unions CREATED Detroit. Your corporate toadies killed it.

The citizens of this country may have been stupid for as long as YOU can remember but they weren't always stupid or we wouldn't have a country in the first place, would we? There is an enormous upside to the USA right now, if people like you will just stop giving in to your "inevitable" future. It will take a lot of work and a LOT more courage than I am seeing from the majority of people currently, but it is there and we can have it if we want it. Or we can listen to what you are saying and get in the food line.

edit on 2/12/2014 by Montana because: add an ing

Actually unions destroyed Detroit by demanding ridiculous salaries for menial jobs. When faced with the stupidity put forth by unions, carmakers did what every intelligent business does: They found lower costs elsewhere. If unions didnt make laughable demands, Detroit would still be a solid manufacturing center.

Wrong the unions took pay cuts to try to save Detroit. It was the idiots running the car companies that wanted to keep making gas guzzlers when there was a gas shortage is the reason why the companies died.

(post by doubletap removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Good for you. The thing is, most of us don't have hatred for non union workers. You make good money doing what you enjoy, more power too you. There are a lot of non union skilled trades jobs that pay well.

What I don't like is union bashers and especially those with no experience of unions.

As far as work, I've had good years and bad years. And yes I pay dues whether I'm working or not. 43.00 a month. We pay another set of dues when we work. Like 16 a week I think.

It's almost hard to walk away from when I am not working. I made $29,800 in 2 months back in '09. Didn't work the rest of the year. That was a lot of hours doing what I enjoy. There has been a time I was off all year. But you get a job like that and it makes it hard to walk away from. Like I said its no get rich quick scheme.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join