It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Union vs. non Union... my views and yours

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
What would be funny is if the same people that bitch about the 1 % are the same people that bitch about the unions...

Not saying it is,

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

tinner07
reply to post by doubletap

so you are happy to work for less than min wage?

Nope. I make exponentially much more than that

I am worth more than that. Thats the thing with unions, those who are valued are paid accordingly. Those who arent very valuable join a union.
edit on 12-2-2014 by doubletap because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

Yes sir, Southeast Michigan is where Im at. The "right to work" thing loosely means you dont have to join a union. Here is the catch at Ford Motor Company...its a Union company. So, one may not want to join a union because of the r-t-w...but then...they wont work here again either. So you wont lose your job....theyll find you another in a different field...but you wont work here anymore.

And regarding the Musicians Union? They used to go to clubs to shakedown non-union players (we used to have fake union cards)....and then in the late 70's all of it changed to "waivers-to-play", and anyone could play anywhere without a card based on a club-venue waiver.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by March of the Fire Ants

pretty much the best thing ive ever heard.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

OLD HIPPY DUDE
So you don't like unions.
What have unions done ?
1. over time pay
2. payed holidays off
3. payed sick days off
4. payed bereavement days off
5. wage increasements
6. seniority
7. health and medical benefits
8. safety equipment and guidelines
9. breaks and lunch
10. job protection

The people who did not have those things fought for them through forming union. And apathy , taking them for granted is losing them.
Big business has been cutting back on all these things since the 80' when that jerk reagan screwed over the air traffic controllers.
Profits are through he roof and labor cost are down, and nowadays people are so desperate for a job that they take less.
There is no loyalty to employees, because there are a 1000 suckers behind you that will do it for less money
Companys don't care about quality in product or service, if you don't like it go somewhere else, and you won't and they know it.
If companys don't care about pride in their product services or employees then we all get what we pay for. A product for a disposible society.
Employee's are an investment.

Why is it that union supporters can only list things unions accomplished many decades ago, but nothing recently?

Hint: It's because the time and place for unions has long since passed.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

At least you had your fake union cards...

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Very interesting read! I hadn't realised just how controlling unions could be in the US. I had heard in my industry (theater) you have 3/4 separate job titles for what I do every day, that would drive me nuts and make me hate whichever job I was in. Variety is the spice of life eh?!

Anyway it mostly seems to work for you so fair play. I definitely don't like the idea of a union having any say over what I do though. Playing piggy in the middle between two battling power structures..

edit on 12-2-2014 by March of the Fire Ants because: a word was wrong, its ok now though. relax.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Oh you are a young troll.
If you are going to copy and post my last post at least read it.
I really don't care what any anti union people say , I'm retired CWA, I made time and a half after 40 hrs. and double time after 50 hrs. My average day was 17 hrs.
I made triple my yearly wages.
So laugh it up funnyboy, cause I am. Unions worked for me.
The pendulum of life swings both ways.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

OLD HIPPY DUDE

I really don't care what any anti union people say , I'm retired CWA, I made time and a half after 40 hrs. and double time after 50 hrs. My average day was 17 hrs.

Not young, nor a troll.

Just someone who isnt a loser that needs to pay others to threaten businesses in order to keep my job. Sadly degenerate union bottom feeders cannot say the same. I dont need to work 17 hours a day to make a very decent income either

Union losers are the same as bible thumping religious nuts....they lack critical thought process and personal responsibility while claiming to know whats best for everyone.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Been a proud member of the International Union of Elevator Constructors since 1987

Unions have their downfalls, but for the most part, they provide trained,skilled and professional labor.
Safety first because it doesn't take much for someone who is not trained to kill himself, another worker or the public.

Would you ride an elevator knowing that it was maintained by a non-union company?
The things I have seen,short cuts and so forth, that these people do scare the bezzus out me!

So, in 5 years, I can retire with a pension and awesome health plan paid by our members and won't have to rely on Obamacare.

Peace,
K
edit on 2/12/2014 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I Didn't NEED 17 hrs. a day but I was never a fool so I took it and retired at 60.
My wife works in the same line of work and makes good money so I don't need to get social secutity or draw on my pension yet.
(So, Your not a troll ?) Then stop the name calling .

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

OLD HIPPY DUDE

Your absolutely right, you got yours. Now the rest have to pay for it.
That pendulum you mentioned is swinging back with a vengance.
edit on 12-2-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

OLD HIPPY DUDE

I Didn't NEED 17 hrs. a day but I was never a fool so I took it and retired at 60.
My wife works in the same line of work and makes good money so I don't need to get social secutity or draw on my pension yet.

Calling people who exhibit parasitic behavior a bunch of parasites isnt name calling....its called describing them for exactly what they are.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

kdog1982

Would you ride an elevator knowing that it was maintained by a non-union company?

K
edit on 2/12/2014 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

Absolutely. The fact you cant see the simple reason as to why is a perfect example of the union brainwashing that takes place.

A non union company has just as much of a fiduciary interest in not killing customers as a union company does. The only difference is how many more union employees would show up do to the job 1 or 2 normal non union guys do. How many would it be? 5 union guys for every 1 non union guy? 1 to actually do the work, 2 to supervise and 2 who are on permanent union break.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Proud Teamsters Local 117 member here. I would not work where I do without them. We tried going the no union way; civil service protection who are you kidding not there. Wages went down; mandatory overtime went up and conditions weren't good.

Unions are necessary but union members need to take responsibility and hold the union heads accountable for their actions. I was a shop steward for many years; saw people who needed to be fired get their employment terminated. Unions negotiate contacts and enforce them; that's their job. Shop stewards are the front line protecting workers' rights.

Those of you who are anti-union well that's your business but enjoy your 40 hour work week that unions won.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

doubletap

OLD HIPPY DUDE

Calling people who exhibit parasitic behavior a bunch of parasites isnt name calling....its called describing them for exactly what they are.

First: Explain to me your notion of parasite.

Second: Explain to me how you are so much better than a union worker.

Really, all you've done is regurgitate talking points, almost as if you're reading a script. Are you paid to do this? If so, what are you paid to spread nonsense and biased opinions in order to derail conversations on an internet board? I am truly curious.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

A non union company has just as much of a fiduciary interest in not killing customers as a union company does. The only difference is how many more union employees would show up do to the job 1 or 2 normal non union guys do. How many would it be? 5 union guys for every 1 non union guy? 1 to actually do the work, 2 to supervise and 2 who are on permanent union break.

Mmmm, I work by myself most of the time. When it's more involved, we have a team which consists of 2 people.
And I really don't take a break except for lunch .

Guess you know alot about us elevator guys, don't you.

Peace,
K

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

doubletap

Just someone who isnt a loser that needs to pay others to threaten businesses in order to keep my job. Sadly degenerate union bottom feeders cannot say the same. I dont need to work 17 hours a day to make a very decent income either

I hate to "doubletap", but the bold text in your quote screams of a business owner only interested in lining their own pockets. Union members demand that the collective are taken care of. It is obvious that you think as an 'individualist' who has a conceded point of view of reality; one that is so separate from the true human condition that you literally think you've done it all. Carry on, uberman. Don't consider the flies at the marketplace. Swat them! Don't you know your own advice? Why do you even bother to come amongst us wretched and attempt to enlighten our sheepish views?
edit on 12-2-2014 by OrdoAdChao because: Grammar and things

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Bilk22
reply to post by tinner07

I think with all the lawyers in the world now, unions are obsolete and not necessary. Oh throw in all the laws protecting workers and their rights and that goes doubly so. Unions were a necessary evil IMO at one point in history. Now their obstructionist and cause labor jobs to move out of country.

Just try hiring one of those lawyers to represent you while you're working for minimum wage and zero benefits. The average joe can't afford a lawyer on his own, but when workers are united and the need for legal representation arises, they suddenly have the power to be heard.

Without unions, most workers would be no better off than slaves of old. Hell, most of them don't even get subsistence wages and that's why they need public assistance.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I am employed by one of the US's class 1 railroads (as well as owning a small business). Our union fights for our paycheck EVERY SINGLE DAY, because the company tries to cut our pay EVERY SINGLE DAY. Our union fights for our safety EVERY SINGLE DAY because company supervisors try to place us in unsafe positions, or to force us to perform work in an unsafe way EVERY SINGLE DAY. And when I say every single day, I mean it.

We have a good health care plan, but we didn't get it "for free". We traded wage increases to get it. The employees paid for that health care, it wasn't a gift. We contribute a share of the premiums as well, and have compromised on coverages to help hold costs down.

We have a GREAT retirement plan- and it is entirely funded by the industry itself. No public money is used in our retirement system at all, and it is one of the few retirement systems in the country that not only is making all current payments but was recently certified to be solvent for a minimum of the next 35 years. (Unless everyone's good buddy Paul Ryan succeeds in his plan to rape it as he has tried to do twice already.)

There ARE bad unions out there. There are bad union executives. In my whole life I have yet to find any organization of humans that don't have them as well (and this includes the VAST majority of corporations). It is the responsibility of every union member to police themselves and remove any official who abuses the system. It is also our responsibility to police our co-workers and ensure they are working up to standards, because "if you don't do the job, there won't be a job for long".

Have the recent rail accidents involving crude oil trains frightened or concerned you? Without constant union efforts in safety and crew fatigue these would be a frequent tragedy. The railroads don't do things safely (relatively) because they LIKE spending more money for it...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join