It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ray Nagin, former New Orleans mayor, convicted of federal corruption charges

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Former Mayor of New Orleans Ray Nagin has been found G-u-i-l-t-y of public corruption and faces a long term prison sentence.

Nagin was Mayor when Hurricane Katrina hit some years back.

He was involved in such criminal behaviors like bribery and contract steering, conspiracy etc. etc.

Ray Nagin, former New Orleans mayor, convicted of federal corruption charges

Ray Nagin, the former two-term mayor of New Orleans indicted after he left office, was convicted Wednesday of 20 federal corruption charges, stemming from illegal dealings with city vendors dating back to 2004. A jury delivered the verdict just before 1 p.m. after six hours of deliberations that followed a nine-day trial.

Nagin, 57, joins a list of Louisiana elected officials convicted of misdeeds while in office, but he is New Orleans' first mayor to be convicted of public corruption charges. Under federal sentencing rules, he could be facing a 20-year prison term, possibly more, lawyers have said.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I'd celebrate a victory in the war against corruption, but this is New Orleans we are talking about. As soon as this guy left office, some new slimeball oozed his way into the big guy's chair and probably carried on things as usual. The only way this would be even more a non-change of the status quo is if this was the mayor of Chicago being convicted. I'll give you a s&f anyways because this guy needs to be behind bars.
edit on 12-2-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I was looking at some of the maximum terms he could serve. It's a bit ironic how much taxpayers will need to pay the system to keep this guy "locked up".

We just get screwed deeper with every turn.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I'm just pleased that we live in a Universe/Multiverse that seems to always, sooner or later, display the presence of karma.

Listen up all of you would-be bad guys and girls...play nice, or it WILL come back to bite you in the bum one fine day.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

minusinfinity

I was looking at some of the maximum terms he could serve. It's a bit ironic how much taxpayers will need to pay the system to keep this guy "locked up".

We just get screwed deeper with every turn.

I'd chip in a few quid.

Besides, he's going to be getting what he deserves...that's worth paying for if anything is.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I"m not surprised at all that he's finally been brought up on charges.
I just hope his corruption hasn't reached into the justice system ... I hope the incarceration is fair.
Then again ... Holder will find some way to get him off. Betchya ...

edit on 2/12/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

FlyersFan
I"m not surprised at all that he's finally been brought up on charges.
I just hope his corruption hasn't reached into the justice system ... I hope the incarceration is fair.
Then again ... Holder will find some way to get him off. Betchya ...

edit on 2/12/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

Why do you say that? Because he's black?

LMAO! (somebody was gonna say it.)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
We have a friend who's from New Orleans. According to him, government in that city is just another word for corruption. I'm not surprised they nailed someone, but it could have been anyone. The way it sounded, New Orleans was just Chicago by another name in terms of political shenanigans.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

minusinfinity
Why do you say that? Because he's black?

I say that because it's Holders M.O. Nagin, a democrat and a black man, endorsed and supported Obama. Holder uses his office to help Obama's buddies ... and he uses the office to overstep and try to bring down those who aren't on the Obama bandwagon.

Washington Times - Eric Holder Ill Serves His People

Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. played the race card in congressional testimony on Tuesday, referring to blacks as his “people” while neglecting the rest of Americans. That race-based lens pervades his Justice Department, causing consistently skewed enforcement of the law.

In 1996, he told The Washington Post that for 25 years he carried in his wallet a quote from a black preacher that, “No matter how affluent, educated and mobile [a black person] becomes, his race defines him more particularly than anything else.” To which Mr. Holder added: “It really says that … I am not the tall U.S. attorney, I am not the thin U.S. attorney. I am the black U.S. attorney. And [the preacher] was saying that no matter how successful you are, there’s a common cause that bonds the black U.S. attorney with the black criminal or the black doctor with the black homeless person.”

In short, race comes first. It makes allies, not adversaries, of black criminals and prosecutors. On Tuesday, Mr. Holder again dodged questions asking him to deny that Deputy Assistant Attorney General Julie Fernandes had told her division to prosecute only civil rights cases involving black victims, not black perpetrators. He refused to release relevant documents about the decision-making behind dropping most of the Black Panther case. For two years, Justice has pressed for explicitly race-conscious legal action.

Again .... it wouldn't surprise me if Holder stepped in and tried to get Nagin off.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
My dad works for FEMA, He was in New Orleans after Katrina. So many stories of lies and deception it is no wonder. Following in the footsteps of their mayor.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Ok i get that its illegal to take the bribes but what about the people who bribed him? Do they get any charges?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Of course not, they aren't even mentioned and just wait for the next guy to take office so business can continue as usual. Another byproduct of solving the problem with the wrong solution, what government does best.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

PhoenixOD
Ok i get that its illegal to take the bribes but what about the people who bribed him? Do they get any charges?

I know some were prosecuted.

here's one....

New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu's administration is working to cancel its public contracts with Three Fold Consultants after owner Rodney Williams pleaded guilty two weeks ago to bribing former Mayor Ray Nagin, an administration spokesman has said. Severing the city's relationship with Three Fold shouldn't interrupt progress on the eight projects the firm designed, considering all but one are under construction or nearing completion, Landrieu spokesman Ryan Berni said. The lone exception is a federally financed project to repair roads in part of the Lower 9th Ward. That contract will need a new design firm, he said.

story...

you have to look at the Nagin charges list and search the names.

Count 2: Bribery - GUILTY

The charge: Accepting $60,000 from the three principals of Three Fold Consulting, an engineering firm, in exchange for special treatment.

Maximum prison term: 10 years

Count 3: Bribery - GUILTY

The charge: Accepting a $2,500 bribe from Rodney Williams, a principal in Three Fold Consulting, in exchange for favorable treatment.

Maximum prison term: 10 years

OP article

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Nagin is a dolt.

Anyone else remember when he said New Orleans should be a "chocolate city?"

Personally, I would rather live in a strawberry city but I guess thats just me.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

Yep , even i recognized him as 'that guy' and i live in the UK.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
MY MAN RAY! WHOOP, WHOOP

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

All I know is that theyve been up this guy's butt since Katrina.

Not saying that hes innocent but it wouldnt surprise me if there was more to the story, possibly even some aspects of entrapment.

He was pretty vocal during the Katrina days and I'm pretty sure he pissed off a lot of people.

New Orleans mayor lashes out at feds.

(Hear the mayor tell feds to 'get off their a--es' -- 12:09.)

"We're getting reports and calls that [are] breaking my heart from people saying, 'I've been in my attic. I can't take it anymore. The water is up to my neck. I don't think I can hold out.' And that's happening as we speak." (Transcript of radio interview with Nagin)

Nagin said the time has long passed for federal authorities to act on their promises. "You mean to tell me that a place where you probably have thousands of people that have died and thousands more that are dying every day, that we can't figure out a way to authorize the resources that we need? Come on man," he said. "I need reinforcements," he pleaded. "I need troops, man. I need 500 buses, man. This is a national disaster. (Hear Nagin's angry demand for more troops -- 1:00)

"I've talked directly with the president," he said. "I've talked to the head of the homeland security. I've talked to everybody under the sun."

"I've been out there man. I flew in these helicopters, been in the crowds talking to people crying, don't know where their relatives are. I've done it all man, and I'll tell you man, I keep hearing that it's coming. This is coming, that is coming. And my answer to that today is BS, where is the beef? Because there is no beef in this city. "

Nagin called for a moratorium on press conferences "until the resources are in this city."

"They're feeding the people a line of bull, and they are spinning and people are dying," he said.

"I don't know whether it's the governor's problem, or it's the president's problem, but somebody needs to get ... on a plane and sit down, the two of them, and figure this out right now," Nagin said.

"They thinking small, man, and this is a major, major deal," he said.

"Get off your a--es and let's do something."

Mayor of New Orleans Ray Nagin slams Bush, federal government in radio interview.

We authorized $8 billion to go to Iraq, lickity split. After 9/11, we gave the President unlimited powers, lickity split, to take care of New York and other places. You mean to tell me that a place where most of your oil is coming through, a place so unique that when you mention "New Orleans" anywhere around the world, everybody's eyes light up. You mean to tell me that a place where you probably have thousands of people who have died and thousands more are dying every day, we can't get figure out a way to authorize the resources that we need.

I mean, I'm not one of those drug addicts. I am thinking very clearly. And I don't know whose problem it is; I don't know if it's the governor's problem or if it's the President's problem, but somebody needs to get their ass on a plane and sit down the two of them and figure this thing out right now.

edit on 12-2-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Nagin capitalized while people were suffering. He's a poor excuse for a human being. Now he's off to Club Fed ... and that's not enough!!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Ah....

Karma.....

Awesome....

I wonder if he is going to blame Bush / Republicans like he did during Katrina for the latest prosecution / conviction. I say turn him over to the people of the 9th ward and let them met out justice.
edit on 12-2-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Cancerwarrior
Nagin is a dolt.

Personally, I would rather live in a strawberry city but I guess thats just me.

Perhaps now he can live in a chocolate prison.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join