It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada Has Not Measured Radiation Levels Since 2012: BC First Nations call for radiation tests NOW!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
BC First Nations call for radiation tests
www.firstperspective.ca...

Radiation from the March 2011 nuclear accident arrived off the BC coast last year, Robin Brown, ocean sciences division manager with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO), said Tuesday, February 4.

“According to our observations, the radiation from Fukushima was detected in BC coastal waters in June 2013,” he said. “Barely detectable, but detectable.”

Although the federal government tested food samples, including some domestic fish species, in 2011 and early 2012, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) now reports that “further testing of imported or domestic food products for the presence of radioactive material is not required.”

Last month, Tahltan Central Council president Annita McPhee wrote to National Chief of the Assembly of First Nations in Canada Shawn A-in-chut Atleo, urging him to press Ottawa for action amid growing concerns by members of the Tahltan Nation in northwestern BC.

“We cannot sit by and watch and wait to see what the full impacts of the Fukushima disaster will be on our salmon and our way of life,” McPhee wrote. “To date, we have not seen or heard of Canada taking this issue seriously and working in a real way to address it.”

In an interview, McPhee said news reports about Fukushima have bred fear in her community.

“Some people are not eating their fish because they’re scared,” she said. “Some people don’t want to feed it to their kids. We don’t want to get cancer. We already have lots of cancer up in our area.”

She added the Tahltan people are concerned about what’s going on. “We get our fish from the Stikine River, but it comes from the Pacific Ocean,” she said. “As first nations, we’ve got to come together and address this, force the government’s hand. We have a right to know if our fish is safe to eat.”

BC Grand Chief Stewart Phillip echoed that view, calling the federal government’s inaction “highly irresponsible.

Additional Source:
www.prpeak.com...

WATERBORNE THREAT: This map shows the surface water distribution of cesium-137 from Fukushima in 2012, when the main inventory of radioactivity had moved toward the central North Pacific. The plume is expected to shift almost entirely to North America’s west coast during the next five years. Fukushima radiation was detected in BC coastal waters in June 2013. Department of Fisheries and Oceans map

Official lack of testing profoundly negligent
www.coastreporter.net...

JOHN GLEESON/STAFF WRITER
I felt pretty good Tuesday evening after getting off the phone with Robin Brown, head of the ocean sciences division of the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans, based in Sidney, B.C.

Brown, who co-authored a DFO report last year tracking the movement of Fukushima radiation to the West Coast, sounded very reasonable and reassuring when he said radiation levels detected so far were nothing to worry about from a human health standpoint.

“I’m still eating sushi. I’m still eating salmon. I’m not selling my house and moving to the Prairies,” he told me. “But I’m out in the community and I know people are concerned.”

One of the reasons people are afraid, of course, is that governments are not telling us much at all about the spread of radiation from Japan or its impacts on the environment. That’s why I was encouraged when I talked to Brown. He said Health Canada was doing some testing on marine life for radiation levels, measuring concentrations in fish.

That’s what First Nation leaders are calling for, and I thought it was a positive development.

The next day I tried tracking down the Health Canada contact that Brown gave me, who is the director of the department’s Radiation Protection Bureau in Ottawa.

Instead of getting a scientist, I got a communications officer, who redirected me to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. There, another communications officer responded with an emailed statement that said Canada has not been testing marine life for radiation since early 2012 because “it is not required.”

edit on 12-2-2014 by Skywatcher2011 because: spelling correction

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
When I stumbled upon this article I was extremely shocked at Canada's shrugging off of the nuclear disaster and the radiation contamination of the Pacific Ocean.

I live in BC, and I am absolutely appalled how our government lies to us. They tell us the food is safe from our oceans. They stop testing for radiation 2 years after the disaster well knowing it take about two years for the radiation to reach our shores!

This is disgusting how Ottawa and the Prime Minister are handling the situation. Down playing every turn and trying to avoid this subject matter at all costs.

I strongly support our First Nations in this address. They have been living in BC since the dawn of time and have fought hard to preserve our forests, protect endangered wild life, and push for the cleanliness of our environment to make it the Beautiful British Columbia it is today.

I hope the First Nations turn this into a HUGE media attention getter. I think it is time once again that Canada wakes up to the call of this seriousness, as we are heading into a battle with a chemical/radioactive warfare with our oceans.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Even if they get the government to resume testing, they'll never get a straight answer unless they buy the equipment and do the testing themselves.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

How about crowd sourcing?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The ocean carried contamination is being tracked. As of June of 2013 the "leading edge" was about 500 miles west of Vancouver with very low levels of radioactive material (0.6 Bq/M3). It is expected to reach the coast this year. Not much reason to think that contamination levels would increase from that low level (thousands of times lower than drinking water standards allow).

This data is in close agreement with models of the dispersal.
www.pices.int...

edit on 2/12/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Take off eh. We're all screwed eh. General Electric's a bunch of hosers.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Immediately after the Japan incident I began to track public health record of stillbirths, miscarriages and deformities in newborns right up and down the Pacific coast. There were increases of 17% and 31% in BC and Alaska over the next three months. Then suddenly the Harper government fired the west coast scientists thus silencing any concerns and public awareness at the time. Some of us spoke out on this site, but no one seemed to take notice.

The second thing the governments of US and Canada did was to alter statistical databases retroactively back to 2006/2007, particularly in relation to morbidity and mortality rates, so that anyone studying them would find no cause for alarm. I yelled about that too, but I also kicked myself for not having taken screen shots of the old stats at the very least . But how was I to know that they were digging a rabbit hole with heavy machinery?

I immediately stopped eating seafood and Pacific salmon. Having seen for myself that there was a nefarious scheme underway I began to consider defensive survival. I truly feel horrible for the way our indigenous people have been ignored, dismissed and mistreated. I will support whatever efforts they undertake. I know this might sound like a horrendous notion to contemplate, but I wonder if it's not high time for them to consider migrating away from there for the next fifty years or so?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Give me a break. You were tracking it?
Are you sure you're not just repeating this kind of crap?
www.washingtonsblog.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I stand by what I wrote. And no, I have not seen that article nor do I intend to read it.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Normally I agree with you, on this we differ. As the constant misinfo from tepco, ge, and most government officals (like we can trust them with every ounce of our heart) continues to spew, along with what could possibly be 3 cores traveling the earth crust, and the millions of tons of cooling water poured into the pacific, not to mention what they have NOT told the world, I question if we do not have a problem here...contamination, half life, long term effects, and on and on. I do not buy the "official" word and I am not alone. We may not be doomed, but there will be a price to pay for this insane setup and result, and the people are the ones with the bag in their hands, and we have questions....got real answers???

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Let me be clearer perhaps. I was studying the stats on pregnant women and their fetuses, not on the general population.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

You were able to obtain real time (or nearly so, within three months) statistics on the rates of pregnancies, miscarriages, and birth defects?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by teslahowitzer

People keep trying desperately to put numbers on Fukushima when it simply can't be done.. too many unknowns:

1. Where are the three coriums located.... this is crucial to being able to assess damage.
2. Exactly how much ground water is passing through the plant.
3. Exactly how radioactive is the water flowing into the ocean every day?
4. How much more water can Tepco store before they have to dump it in the ocean?
5. How much Gamma radiation is being created by outside of the water storage tanks by the radionuclides slamming into the steel walls of the tanks? This has to be increasing as they store more and more water.

I could easily name a bunch more..... it is just simply impossible to make any kind of long term assessment of Fukushima.

edit on R202014-02-12T19:20:57-06:00k202Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by RickinVa

Rick, I know that, as everyone else, but the standard "all is ok, go back to your lifes" is just a damn lie, NO one knows anything of real measurment, and we have asked for none.....just the truth and that will not happen with all of these PTBs. For once we should be told the truth, most of us could handle that...

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

NO one knows anything of real measurment, and we have asked for none

Not true. Rick is correct that the future of the disaster site is uncertain but there is no point in panicking about something that might (or might not happen). Be concerned yes, there is reason for concern. But we do know about what is happening now. We do know how the contamination is moving across the Pacific and we do know about the current radiation levels in the ocean around Fukushima. These numbers are not coming from TEPCO but if you want to just write them off for no real reason other than "they can't be right".... (I need a "shrug" icon here).

You are wrong that we don't know "real measurements" and you are wrong that "we have asked for none."
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Maybe they died because the Mothers believed in all the wrong Information
from div. Web Sites and started a Thyroid Blockade which is very harmful
for the unborn Earthlings?

A few will, for sure!

@ Topic,
they must look for them self,
a used Detector is not that expensive!

And they need to close their Uranium Mines
which have massive radioactive Emissions,
in Canada and F'Shima!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I know what you are saying, there is a serious lack of real information coming from Tepco about Fukushima... But from what I know and all the research I have done, there is no indication at this point that it's going to seriously affect anyone but the people of Japan and the local area around the plant. I am not talking about the initial event, that spread radiation everywhere.

I certainly don't think they can just keep on letting radioactive water go into the ocean on a daily basis.

They just announced that they have found two cracks in the concrete at the base of the tank farm.... no good news comes from Fukushima, only varying degrees of bad news.

Cracks found in floor near Fukushima radioactive water tanks

ajw.asahi.com...

edit on R392014-02-12T19:39:28-06:00k392Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R412014-02-12T19:41:32-06:00k412Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I think, by my own Experiences with Statistics, that this is impossible,
also i am sure that all this Data is provided in a " unaltered" Printed Medium too.

Hot Air?

Maybe it is Mangano in Person?
Questions over question.
edit on 12-2-2014 by Human0815 because: spell

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by RickinVa

Im thinking there is more poop in the pile than they are telling us, you feel FIRMLY confident you are getting the whole truth, good for you....me, I have questions, you cant answer them, but those at tepco could, but will not...

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Again, you can be as confident in your stance as you wish... I do not have faith we are told the truth, and as you have pointed....until YOU have personally measured and tested, how to you know it is true and real? blind faith, that is it. And I am not in any panic....just not confident...

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Some units had started to put them online on a monthly or quarterly basis in an effort to improve transparency and public access. I was merely searching for records wherever I could find them and I found some that certainly merited much closer scrutiny. When the government purged those scientists and altered those online records at the same time, where were we supposed to take our very real concerns? I am not easily alarmed, but I felt I had to speak out somehow about manipulation and suppression of the particular facts that I knew about and allow the more competent and specialized than I to carry it forward. Those same scientists have begun to speak out in taped interviews and have been demonstrating in Ottawa.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join