It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Shoots Service Dog, Owner Gets Citation at boy's birthday party. "Horrifying Video"

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

So pepper spray doesn't always work but at times it does correct? Just like anything in life. So why does he skip that step if there is still a chance of it working? Like you said every dog is different, that is a two way street. While there may be a lab that can run through a fence, another lab might not be able to take stepping on a nail.
I am not making speculation and assumptions, I watched the video and listened to what the cop said, did he mention he used his sirens or PA to get the owners attention? NO, all he told him was that he couldn't get out of his car and he had the dog being aggressive on audio. I am sure he would mention that he had the PA and sirens on audio as well if he used them since he was telling the owner the reasoning for doing what he did. Stop putting little kids into the mix, THAT WASN'T the case stop trying to use emotion to prove a logical point.
Kicking a dog that is being "aggressive" is not diffusing the situation, it is making it worse at that point you are attacking the dog as well, it is already scared and you are making it worse.
This dog did not deserve to get shot, plain and simple. Yes the owner was at fault for the dog being outside. Was not his fault a cop didn't know how to handle this dog outside of shooting it.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

nixie_nox
How many of you ranting against the cop, go on other threads and talk about your guns and that you would kill any intruder that came to steal your jewelry?

So burglary is a capital punishment, but a cop isn't allowed to use the same self defence against a dog that is lunging at him, that IS actually threatening his own personal well being?

So other than being a cop, what is the difference?

That is what guns are for, for self defence?

C'mon now be honest, how many of you admit to having firearms on your property so you can be judge, jury, and executioner, for anyone that breaks into your house?

Seriously can you stop using examples that have NOTHING to do with what happened? You are talking from the wrong point of view, the cop wasn't on his own property and he created the need for self defense, it was self imposed...

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Sremmos80

It is not the officers job to control the animal, but the owners. If you look at the laws in most states, it is very clear and cut. If you own a dog, then it is your responsibility to control it and have it under control at all times. If it bites someone, then it can be put down. If it seriously mauls a person, then the owner can be charged with attempted murder.

If the animal had bit the officer, the father would have been taken to jail and the dog would have been put down. And the father would be facing felony charges, hefty fines, court costs and possible jail time. Would that have been better?

But that does not answer the question that should be asked and there should be answers to, and that is: If this was a service dog, as it is claimed to have been, then why was it not with the person that requires a service animal? Service animals are not allowed to be away from the person they are there to be of service to, for very long. That means if the dog has to go out to do its business, it goes out and then back in. If it needs to eat, it eats and then is back at the side of the person that it is there to service.

Police officers are not trained to deal with animals. And if animal control showed up, and they viewed the animals were a danger to other persons in the area, there would have been a good chance that they would be removed from the home. And in most states, if a dog is deemed a danger to people, then the laws here are clear, they put the animal down.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RoScoLaz

If it was one dog, then no the officer was not in danger. There was 2 dogs, and thus your argument about the officer not being in danger fails. When you have a pack, the alpha dog will make the first aggressive move and the others will join in, to back the alpha up. The dog that got shot was the alpha dog, based off of the reaction of the other animal that went running.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I rant against the cop because he got out of his car and was out of it for sometime and was never attacked. If he was scared or the dogs viscious he wouldn't have made it outside a foot from his car without an altercation.
Even though they are two completely different topics.For your example i feel blame always should go to the criminal regardless of the outcome, the criminal while in process of a criminal act forced a reaction and carrys full responsibility for that action. Same as here the owners should be responsible regardless of the outcome. If the dogs were indeed vicious or they were hit by a car there would be no doubt, nothing changes the fact the owners lost control of thier dogs.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

sdcigarpig
reply to post by Sremmos80

It is not the officers job to control the animal, but the owners. If you look at the laws in most states, it is very clear and cut. If you own a dog, then it is your responsibility to control it and have it under control at all times. If it bites someone, then it can be put down. If it seriously mauls a person, then the owner can be charged with attempted murder.

If the animal had bit the officer, the father would have been taken to jail and the dog would have been put down. And the father would be facing felony charges, hefty fines, court costs and possible jail time. Would that have been better?

But that does not answer the question that should be asked and there should be answers to, and that is: If this was a service dog, as it is claimed to have been, then why was it not with the person that requires a service animal? Service animals are not allowed to be away from the person they are there to be of service to, for very long. That means if the dog has to go out to do its business, it goes out and then back in. If it needs to eat, it eats and then is back at the side of the person that it is there to service.

Police officers are not trained to deal with animals. And if animal control showed up, and they viewed the animals were a danger to other persons in the area, there would have been a good chance that they would be removed from the home. And in most states, if a dog is deemed a danger to people, then the laws here are clear, they put the animal down.

It is ENTIRELY his job to control the animal if that is what the call is about. If the call was about an injured person inside that house then sure you are right. The call was about 2 dogs are large, so that is what the cop is there to handle. Hence why he needed to attempt to let the homeowner restrain his dog. So the officer could address him and let him know what was going on

These dogs have not bit any one or seriously mauled any one since they were still there obviously so why bring it up?
And you are right, IF the dog bit the officer then he would have faced charges, that didn't happen because the cop shot the dog so why bring that up? IF is the key word there btw. No IFS about the doing being dead

You didn't answer my question about Alt methods of handling the dog why do i need to answer you question?
I don't see the fact of it being a service dog changing anything. I already said he was in the wrong about having the dog outside. Doesn't mean it needs to get shot because a cop is scared of it.
If the officer isn't trained to handle the dog why not wait for backup to handle it like in any other situation?
You are right the animal control people would have been able to determine if the dog was safe or not, that is why it has been apart of almost ALL my post.

Dispatch can send animal control just as easy as they can a cop. Seen animal control deal with a loose dog way more then I have police, like you said he is not trained to handle them, it showed since he shot the poor dog. You did read that this same guy shot into a window because he could't see inside of it right? Kinda gives you an idea of what he has on his mind, his gun and the trigger is always the solution to him. We don't need cops like that around

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TorqueyThePig

Maybe the Humane Society could pitch in or at least pitch the idea.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   

sdcigarpig

If it was one dog, then no the officer was not in danger.

All it takes is just ONE aggressive dog to pose a threat... Hence people being mauled all the time.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   

sdcigarpig

If it was one dog, then no the officer was not in danger. There was 2 dogs, and thus your argument about the officer not being in danger fails. When you have a pack, the alpha dog will make the first aggressive move and the others will join in, to back the alpha up. The dog that got shot was the alpha dog, based off of the reaction of the other animal that went running.

really sound judgement huh?...tell me the sound of the gunshot...could that have anything to do why the dogs ran off?......

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

hounddoghowlie
if i was to shoot a police dog for barking and growling at me when i walk by his car, which the dog sees as his territory.
i would be charged with killing a police officer. when a cop kills a dog in his yard or in his home it's just a dog.

seems kinda one sided don't it

A dog in the car is contained. Thus you are not in danger.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

gariac

hounddoghowlie
if i was to shoot a police dog for barking and growling at me when i walk by his car, which the dog sees as his territory.
i would be charged with killing a police officer. when a cop kills a dog in his yard or in his home it's just a dog.

not always windows get left rolled down.
has happened to me twice.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

Dad had a dog jump out the car on him. He quit putting the window down that low, after that.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Just throw this news story on the pile. It won't change until laws against cops are created and there is a new system to judge the cops rather than allowing them to be charged and investigated and sentenced by sympathetic people they see every day.

This cop shot the dog at random. It was letting him gain ground, it wasn't standing off and more importantly it hadn't made any move that was anymore or less aggressive than it had previously down without being shot (or the officer being bitten). The two dogs were playing, anyone with common sense could see that. The officer is really so cowardly?

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   

hounddoghowlie

gariac

hounddoghowlie

Then your cops are morons. I see police dogs in cars with the AC running and the windows rolled up. These cars have so much electronics to boot that they don't even turn off the ignition. Hence running the AC is no big deal.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   

GogoVicMorrow
Just throw this news story on the pile. It won't change until laws against cops are created and there is a new system to judge the cops rather than allowing them to be charged and investigated and sentenced by sympathetic people they see every day.

This cop shot the dog at random. It was letting him gain ground, it wasn't standing off and more importantly it hadn't made any move that was anymore or less aggressive than it had previously down without being shot (or the officer being bitten). The two dogs were playing, anyone with common sense could see that. The officer is really so cowardly?

You want your dog to live? Keep it under control. Case closed.

Loose dogs are really a problem when you are walking your dog on a leash. They have killed children.

Yeah, it would be nice if your city had funds for animal control 24 and 7, but that isn't the case everywhere. The only 24 and 7 service is police and fire. If your dog is running loose, cars, other dogs, and cops with guns are part of the territory.

It is just unfortunate that this dog had an idiot for an owner.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MrLimpet

Nowadays, if one was to kill a police dog that person would be charged with murder of a police officer. The same should be considered for our animals as well...you kill one of our pets and you should be charged with murder.

If this cop is not FIRED, I really hope that the family handles the cop in the same fashion...fair is fair.

If it was my pet, that cop would be in hiding.
edit on 16-2-2014 by GeologyExpert because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   

gariac

hounddoghowlie

gariac

hounddoghowlie

Then your cops are morons. I see police dogs in cars with the AC running and the windows rolled up. These cars have so much electronics to boot that they don't even turn off the ignition. Hence running the AC is no big deal.

it's not always summertime and not always winter time, hence no need to keep the windows rolled up or the ac or heat all the time.
there are days when it's is real comfortable, and cops and dogs like fresh air. and back when it happened they didn't have all these new flanged electronics. plus i see them all the time with windows rolled down and up so i guess there is no set procedure to do it across the nation.

the first time it happened to me was when i was in high school, i stopped at the convenience store across the street from the school on the way home. pulled up beside the city cops car. got out when i did the shepard tried to jump through the window, good thing it was only down enough to let it's snout out. i had parked kinda close.

the second time was when i was in the Corps in DC not my home town, and it was night. at a bar and a fight had broken out and the cops came, me and my buddies were leaving and walked by a cruiser, and the dog tried to come out of that window, got his head and part of his legs out. the cop wanted to hassle us by saying we were messing with his dog, but i guess his boss told him better.

and yes your right a lot of cops are morons.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   

gariac

GogoVicMorrow

Loose dogs are really a problem when you are walking your dog on a leash. They have killed children.

Yeah, it would be nice if your city had funds for animal control 24 and 7, but that isn't the case everywhere. The only 24 and 7 service is police and fire. If your dog is running loose, cars, other dogs, and cops with guns are part of the territory.

It is just unfortunate that this dog had an idiot for an owner.

The call was about loose dogs... What did he do to take care of the loose dog call that he was sent to. It was his job to control that animal, he choose to control it by shooting it... How is that the owner fault? The dog was not attacking or making an attempt to attack him. If that dog wanted at the cop it would have went after that kick the cop made on camera. Not to mention the yelp off camera. Dog could have been just coming up to inspect the cop, you know what dogs do, and then got kicked. I know when I get kicked I am not happy about it.
Tell me since when is an officer suppose to go straight to the firearm? How many NON lethal deterrents does he have on him? Things that are made to subdue a man and he is dealing with a dog...
If he is not the one to handle the dogs then call who should, he doesn't even do that before going and talking to the owner. What attempt did he make to let the owner take responsibility for his dog being outside before the dog got shot?
Why could he not spend an extra 2 min in his car and blerp his sirens or use the PA system to get the owners attention? What he doesn't have time??? He is doing his JOB, he has plenty, he should be there all night if he has too.
These dogs did not attack any one so do not bring that up, no children either, this is about a cop shooting a dog in its front yard

lol cops with guns are the same as cars and other dogs, just live with it guys

Don't want to get shot? stay inside, good advice

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Agreed.

Why do people still let their dogs run around in the streets unsupervised? If the owner would of actually paid attention to his dogs (called them back, kept them inside, kept them in a fenced backyard..) this could have easily been avoided. Does the owner even care about the chance of the dogs getting hit by a car while they run around in the neighborhood streets? Irresponsible owner IMO was the main cause of this. Im not defending the cop either and believe he overreacted and should of stuck with less-lethal before deciding to use lethal force.
edit on 16-2-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by gariac

More like if people want their dogs to live then rein in law enforcement. Case closed. As I've said before, this officer would have most likely still shot and killed this dog even had it been behind a fence. So the fact these dogs were out in the yard without a leash is not even remotely the biggest issue here.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join