It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Shoots Service Dog, Owner Gets Citation at boy's birthday party. "Horrifying Video"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
it all seemed to fair 'better' once the officer 'took a moment' to regain his professional composure.... imho

prior to that i felt he definitely overreacted in flat out just shooting the dog ....

they have cell phones with them at all times. he could have easily contacted the owner and asked that he step outside and 'control the dog', so to speak ..... in any number of ways.

that he 'has apparently been bitten by a dog in the past', i think played a big part in his just 'wasting ' the dog...

that 'big boi' wasn't gonna bite him .... he was just standing his ground on the homefront.

???

after the officer 'regained his composure' and went the route of 'now. let's start all over...' it seemed to have gone more inline with how the situation should/could have been handled in the first place.

???

bad cop?

nah ... just 'scared cop'....

and that he reached for his sidearm instead of taser, i think speaks volumes towards his 'mindset' when it comes to animals/dogs, etc.

???
edit on 2/12/2014 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I wonder have you been peppered sprayed? It would blind the dog and cause plenty of pain. You see how the dog reacted to pain. I am sure the spray would do just fine. Last time I checked they have a little stronger stuff then the stuff you can buy in the store. You know the ones joggers carry to fend off dogs or people

The other dog wasn't a threat, he only was focused on the one so the tazer would have worked just fine.
Why would the cop call him? I mean get on his PA and use his sirens to blerp and ATTEMPT to get the homeowners attention. BEFORE killing the dog. He said he couldn't even get out of his car to the owner.

He did not try and diffuse the situation at all.. He got scared and shot the dog. He even said that was the reason, he didn't want to go the er again.... Wasn't even in fear for his life, just being inconvenienced. All that is on audio as well, he clearly says that over and over again.

In my first post i said the dog wasn't helping, doesn't justify the fact the cop killed the dog as his FIRST option to get rid of the dog.
I sold door to door for years, was in this same situation 100 times, never been bit and never had to kill a dog. Being a cop doesn't change anything.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

nixie_nox

Sremmos80

TorqueyThePig
reply to post by Sremmos80

Being scared of bodily harm or being killed is a natural human emotional response. Just because someone is scared of being harmed doesn't mean they shouldn't be a police officer.
edit on 12-2-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

IMO it does. If he is going to harm others just to protect him self that quickly then he doesn't need to be a cop. They should be able to suppress that feeling and handle the situation with the least amount of harm possible. Not skip procedure out of fear

And if the dog injured him so he couldn't work? All it would take would be a bite on the hand to put him out of commission. Why should the man have to lose his career/income, because of an irresponsible dog owner?

What career/income would he lose? He would have been hurt in the line of duty, he wouldn't miss a dime lol. ANY aspect of his job can cause him to be out of commission, so should he just lead with the gun 100% of the time then? Seems to be the logic you are presenting.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
In my previous post I did NOT blame either party. Anyone who owns
an animal needs to be responsible for that said animal or animals.
Nothing is perfect, things happen, animals escape, leads break & etc.

However there does not need to be a bloody dead dog period. If the officer
was scared maybe he should have called for back up, called animal control,
paged the owner & sounded the siren if needed to get the owners attention.
The damn neighbors probably would have come out & if no owner showed
the neighbor might have known the dog or dogs & put them inside a fence or
contacted the neighbor.

Officer had too many options he could have used to avoid this horrific situation.
I work with many species of animals & I have been bitten many times & been to the
ER many times. I am still not afraid & I continue to work with animals. I also own 2
Border Collies among other animals. They are both Working Dogs & are Service Dogs.
They are very well behaved & even though we live on a farm I still go with them to have
a pee & they are leashed in public. That doesn't make me better than anyone else, it is what
I am comfortable with as an owner. Yes the one in me avatar is the 13 1/2 yr old & he still
works a wee bit to stay fit.

So all in all regardless the situation could have been avoided without a bullet.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
piece of # coward cops. end of story.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Looks like a group on Facebook is planning a protest tonight.

Officer Hassani Get Out Of Filer Idaho

www.facebook.com...
edit on 12-2-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
There are hundreds of cases where cops shoot pets wrongfully ... but, I watched the video and do NOT see this officer in the wrong on this incident. I can even tell a horrifying story in this regard but will stay on topic.

The copper's prior run-in being bitten by a dog may have led to a fear of dogs. Dogs sense fear. The cop wasn't "dog-smart". He kicked at the dog but that's not how to get a dog to ignore you.

The dog in this video was very close (like a couple of feet at the most) and it was clearly growling loud. The shot was a good clear shot, not endangering other persons or animals or property. It would be nice if cops could have tranquilizer guns; but then, they take time and measuring to set up according to the animal's weight.

The cop was apologetic, very much so.

Pepper spray? I don't know enough about its effect on animals to comment.

The "bad guy" in this video is clearly the dog-owner who wasn't even stressed at the dog's death! I would have been running in tears to the body.
edit on 12/2/2014 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

There's not enough obedience training in the world for some dogs, nor are there fences deep or high enough to safely corral them.
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

That's what I say.

About cops.

# 151

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

How was it the owners fault if you even have to say that the cop wasn't being dog smart? He treated the whole situation wrong and then try to rectify it by shooting the dog?
If he is scared of dogs and can't keep his composure around them then he should have handled the call that way. Stay in his car, as he said to the owner he couldn't even get out of it. Call animal control, since that is what the call is about any way. Stay in your car to mange the yard till they get there. In the mean time blerp and use your PA to try and get the homeowners out to restrain the dog so you can go and talk to them peacefully. Yes the owner shouldn't have had the dogs loose, but the cop is there to resolve the issue. In this case getting the dogs inside or contained. How does shooting the dog in the first 2 min get to a peaceful resolution to those that you are protecting and serving?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Looked to me that the cop shoot the dog in it's yard, not public property.

I feel sorry for the cop - he must be a sad excuse for a person.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Sremmos80

How was it the owners fault ... Yes the owner shouldn't have had the dogs loose

You answered your question but I would add that the owner said he knew the dog was out. Two strikes. Responsible pet ownership includes more than just spaying and neutering.
edit on 12/2/2014 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I am not blaming the owner for his dog being shot because he left it outside. I am blaming the cop for shooting it.
I just don't get how you can blame the owner and then say the cop was not being dog smart. That was the question i asked. Me stating that sure the dog was outside is not me placing the blame on the owner or answering why you admit the cop handled it wrong but yet still the owners fault

And how about the rest of the post about how the cop could have used alternative measures to get the dog under control? Doesn't the cop have responsibilities as well?

The owner was 100% responsible for the cops being called on the dogs, not at fault for the dog getting shot by a trigger happy cop that was scared of getting bit and going to the ER.
edit on thWed, 12 Feb 2014 17:05:17 -0600America/Chicago220141780 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

ETA: If you quote me please use the whole sentence next time. Context is everything and by just quoting up to a comma not the rest you are misquoting me and I don't appreciate it.
edit on thWed, 12 Feb 2014 17:08:08 -0600America/Chicago220140880 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

edit on thWed, 12 Feb 2014 17:10:19 -0600America/Chicago220141980 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Sremmos80

I am not blaming the owner for his dog being shot because he left it outside. I am blaming the cop for shooting it.
I just don't get how you can blame the owner and then say the cop was not being dog smart. That was the question i asked. Me stating that sure the dog was outside is not me placing the blame on the owner or answering why you admit the cop handled it wrong but yet still the owners fault

And how about the rest of the post about how the cop could have used alternative measures to get the dog under control? Doesn't the cop have responsibilities as well?

Okay, if a Mother left her infant outside unattended and it was kidnapped, injured or died of exposure, you wouldn't blame her either.

I already stated my thoughts on alternative measures so don't feel I need to repeat that answer. Same for the cop not being "dog-smart".

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

No I would blame the person that kidnapped that child.... the only reason it happened is because of that person. Why wouldn't you? And this is not about a kid getting kidnapped it is about a dog getting shot. Do you have an example involving a dog you would like to use?

The only alt you brought up was tranq guns which animal control would have, and cops call animal control to take care of a out of control animal.
And then you don't know enough about pepper spray to comment... that is dodging not addressing. Care to address the ones I brought up? You can skip the pepper spray one since you have not seen anything or read about it in the decade or more that it has been around
edit on thWed, 12 Feb 2014 17:15:55 -0600America/Chicago220145580 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Ill be honest

I don't like police

But having stated my opinion on many of these threads

I feel to not say anything on this one would be

Wrong

The cop did what he had to do

There was no leash

Whether that was a physical one or a control

The owner was stupid

And the dog paid

But i won't blame the officer on this one
edit on pm220142805America/ChicagoWed, 12 Feb 2014 17:25:28 -0600_2u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Another_Nut

The cop did what he had to do

That makes it sound like his life was in danger or that it was his last choice. He didn't HAVE to SHOOT the dog.. We wanted to shoot the dog. He let his fear make him forget his procedures and killed something.
The cop made no attempt to get the dog under control outside of 1 kick then a shot.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

It is not his job to control someones loose animal

He could have been severely injured

The owner takes the full burden of guilt

Without his stupidity the officer wouldn't even be there

And his dog would still be alive

And i love dogs

Just check the last thread i started

Place responsibility where it is due

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Another_Nut

That was entirely his job, he was on a loose dog call. Is that how cops are to handle loose dog calls now? Just show up and shoot them?
He told the owner he could not get out of his car, great. Call animal control and let them know that there is a viscous dog here and I need it picked up. Stay in his car, if owner comes out let him know over the PA what is going on and if he wants to talk he can restrain his dog. He did not give the owner opportunity to rectify the original mistake. Instead he handled it wrong and killed a dog.
He had plenty of time to get back to his car when the dog first started doing what it was doing, but no he kicked at the dog and kept walking and then shot the dog.
He doesn't need to address the owner first right? He wasn't the caller why is he going up to the owner. The call he is there for is in front of him before he gets out of his car.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I will not argue this point further

This could have been prevented by being a responsible dog owner

If you are not then you can't blame anyone but yourself for what happens

edit on pm220142806America/ChicagoWed, 12 Feb 2014 18:05:59 -0600_2000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

marbles87
How foolish of you guys to think the cop should have to hide from a dog at the cost of being able to do his duty to his job. I would love to see the counter story you guys are asking for. "Bank robber murders two and gets away, cops fear of harming pet kept them from acting".
The dog is unleashed (x2) he didn't shoot both just the one that was stoping him from his job and obviously being very aggressive. Side walks are public property and that dog was infringing on the cops right just to be there by being so aggressive. You can hear the snarls and slobbery growls. The dog was looking for some action and it got some.

Not a damn one of you would accept the cop going back to his car when he has a job to do just because you feel for a persons animal. Get real. If the owner actually cared about his animals he would follow the law and restrain his animals from the public like law requires. I can't believe some of you on here.

This wasnt a bank robbery or murder.

Fact is a firearm should only EVER be used as a last resort.

The police had time. He could have done a dozen other things instead of going gun crazy.

It it was a life and death crime going on and the dog was in the wsy? Maybe but it wasnt.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join