It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Shoots Service Dog, Owner Gets Citation at boy's birthday party. "Horrifying Video"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sremmos80

Being scared of bodily harm or being killed is a natural human emotional response. Just because someone is scared of being harmed doesn't mean they shouldn't be a police officer.
edit on 12-2-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

A lot of different opinions, i made mine and thats really all i have to say.

I ain't going to disscuss forward or back who is right or not.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

MrLimpet
Idaho Police Officer Facing Wrath After Killing Dog

FILER, Ida. (CBS Seattle) – A southern Idaho police officer has been placed on administrative leave after video showing him shooting a dog went viral.

This is pathetic, he shoots the dog and gets a paid vacation. This has to stop, at least they should try to make it look like he's in trouble. Obviously he's not.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

TorqueyThePig

When that happened I noticed several people outside of their houses, and a cable company contractor watching the situation unfold. It was at that point that I put my firearm back in its holster and took out my baton.

I didn't because I was worried somebody watching was filming and would of put the video on Youtube.

The presence of mind to realize you were about to be seen doing something you didnt want anyone to see you doing but not the presence of mind to reach for the baton first?

Makes me wonder how many "saw the cameras and traded my gun for my taser" toward a human stories there are floating around.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

TorqueyThePig
reply to post by Ektar

I wasn't there so I won't Monday morning quarterback.

I will however, add a personal story. Just to note this is coming from an animal lover and a pit bull owner.

I was dispatched to a neighborhood to look for an aggressive dog that was chasing people.

When I arrived I located the dog which was a pretty big pit mix. I also located the house in which it belonged to. The gate was open and there was another dog hanging out in the backyard.

When I approached the loose dog it began barking and growling at me. It then lunged at me in which I kicked it in the nose. He backed off and immediately lunged at me again. This time I side stepped and removed my firearm from its holster. At that point I aimed at the dog and at the same time yelled at him to get back. I even said out loud, I don't want to shoot you buddy.

He again lunged at me. As I began to depress the trigger I swear time slowed down. When that happened I noticed several people outside of their houses, and a cable company contractor watching the situation unfold. It was at that point that I put my firearm back in its holster and took out my baton.

When he lunged again I "poked" him rather hard in the snout with the baton. Luckily at that point he backed off and walked back into the backyard through the open gate. At that point a coworker arrived and secured the gate.

Could I have shot the dog? Yes. I didn't because I was worried somebody watching was filming and would of put the video on Youtube. I didn't want to be harassed by people saying that I made the wrong call. I also felt bad because being a dog person I know that it is the owners fault as to why the dog is the way he is. Luckily in my specific situation things worked out positively.

I will say this though. Being in a situation like that is extremely stressful. It happens so quickly and it is very easy to make the wrong choice.

I also have seen two occasions where our officers did not shoot the dog and were bitten. One officer had a chunk taking out of his calf and was out for a couple months recovering.

Was the the dog in the video like that?
So you didn't shoot the dog because people were watching? Not because it was probably "overkill"? What a guy!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Labs are not aggressive by nature, they are noisy and rambunctiousness but not vicious dogs.

The dogs were not attacking. The Lab clearly jumped back with his tail wagging. They were barking at someone who was yelling and kicking at them on their property.

The profanity from the officer at the door was uncalled for! It shows he has no control over his actions or his mouth.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TorqueyThePig

It is on video so you can see how everything goes down. No he said she said on this one, outside of the conditions the dog may or may not have had.
Your story shows what every one seems to be mad about. There was non lethal ways of dealing with the dog. I'm glad that you were able to stop the pull of trigger in your incident, regardless of the reasoning. I do agree that this situations happen fast, I have been in plenty of show downs with dogs and I never have had a gun to solve them and happy to say that I have never been bit. I worked in door to door sales for almost 3 years, plenty of lose dogs around. I would also be walking up to peoples door ways all the time.
I was never scared of them though, not sure how far that goes. This cop was obviously scared (by his own admission) so maybe the dog was confusing that fear for threat.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

No, you are pretty much wrong.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

TorqueyThePig

Being scared of bodily harm or being killed is a natural human emotional response. Just because someone is scared of being harmed doesn't mean they shouldn't be a police officer.

IMO it does. If he is going to harm others just to protect him self that quickly then he doesn't need to be a cop. They should be able to suppress that feeling and handle the situation with the least amount of harm possible. Not skip procedure out of fear

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Agree with you there Bassago.

Maybe it's a start though.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The owner has no one to blame but himself.

Two dogs should not be in the yard unrestrained. Period. What was a service dog doing running free outside? They are expensive. It could of been hit by a car.

The man should never be allowed another service animal.

With all the yelling and barking, why didn't the owner come out and get his dogs? What was he doing?

The dogs were growling and lunging. The cop had a right to shoot it.

For all the people trying to complain that the dogs tails were wagging, if a perp is walking up to you holding a gun but waving hi with the other hand, are you going to think he is harmless? That growl was enough to determine the dog's intentions, not to mention he was blocking the cop's path, it was an aggressive behavior.

I know that ATS loves to hate a cop no matter the circumstances, but I am angry at the owner for this one. One more animal dead because of complete morons. Pretty typical.

Also for those saying the cop should of gotten into the car and left the dogs, here is another scenario: cop gets into the car and leaves the dogs. A little girl tries to ride her bike down the street, gets attacked by loose labs and has to go to the ER.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

thisguyrighthere

FraggleRock
How many people have been in a similar situation with dogs barking and carrying on? It's a pretty regular occurrence I'm sure. What doesn't appear to be a regular occurrence is those dogs ending up dead. This situation is the result of having a culture of law enforcement who's first instinct is always to their firearm.

Imagine USPS, FedEx, UPS, food delivery, Mormons and Jehovahs Witnesses, etc... all killing peoples dogs.

They seem to get along fine without drawing a weapon and shooting Fido.

Why can't cops handle situations at least as well the Mormon kid on a bicycle?
edit on 12-2-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

Because the lawsuits for hundreds of thousands of dollars against the owners for damages, doesn't make the news.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

nixie_nox

Two dogs should not be in the yard unrestrained. Period. What was a service dog doing running free outside? They are expensive. It could of been hit by a car.

With all the yelling and barking, why didn't the owner come out and get his dogs? What was he doing?

For all the people trying to complain that the dogs tails were wagging, if a perp is walking up to you holding a gun but waving hi with the other hand, are you going to think he is harmless? That growl was enough to determine the dog's intentions, not to mention he was blocking the cop's path, it was an aggressive behavior.

I know that ATS loves to hate a cop no matter the circumstances, but I am angry at the owner for this one. One more animal dead because of complete morons. Pretty typical.

Also for those saying the cop should of gotten into the car and left the dogs, here is another scenario: cop gets into the car and leaves the dogs. A little girl tries to ride her bike down the street, gets attacked by loose labs and has to go to the ER.

Then the dog would be put down at the point, but we don't have that situation, we have a dead dog after 2 min of the cop arriving. The cop was scared of getting bit and going to the er... so he shoots the dog??? What attempt did he make to have the owner get his dogs inside? You don't think he had an opportunity to do that? Why not taze the dog? That can put down a man with a gun, should do fine with a dog. Or his pepper spray?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I blame everybody except the Kid having the party and the Dog.

Stupid Cop for being a Wanna be Rambo.
Stupid owner for letting the dogs run free in a non fenced yard.

Dog pays for it with its life and the kid loses a loved pet.

Happy Birthday

ETA: Adults suck sometimes!
edit on 12-2-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

nixie_nox
here is another scenario: cop gets into the car and leaves the dogs. A little girl tries to ride her bike down the street, gets attacked by loose labs and has to go to the ER.

If/when that scenario becomes a reality, please feel free to make a thread on it and we can discuss it.

It's not the situation here.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
dogs are a good judge of character,if someone turns up to the house and the dogs growl that is a heads up for me the said person is a bit "sus"....so these cops must be oozing fear and or hate.....

pathetic excuse for a human being shooting a dog like that..

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Sremmos80

nixie_nox

Then the dog would be put down at the point, but we don't have that situation, we have a dead dog after 2 min of the cop arriving. The cop was scared of getting bit and going to the er... so he shoots the dog??? What attempt did he make to have the owner get his dogs inside? You don't think he had an opportunity to do that? Why not taze the dog? That can put down a man with a gun, should do fine with a dog. Or his pepper spray?

If dogs are intent on attacking, pepper spray is not going to stop them. If he tazes (sp?) one, then he can't fend himself off on the other.

If the owner couldn't hear all the commotion outside with the barking and the yelling, and come outside to address it like normal homeowners, who would of said he would of heard the phone?

How would he call him? Most people don't have landlines these days and cell phones are not listed.

I know you want to blame the cop so badly but the fact is the owner was letting the dogs run free. The owner is responsible. If you can't properly take care of your pets, don't have them. IF the dogs were restrained, none of this would of happened.

If it is true that the cop was called out because of the dogs, then the dogs were being a nuisance to somebody else, and maybe lunging at them as well. Most people don't call on loose dogs unless they think there is a threat there.

OWNERS are responsible. Even if the cop hadn't shot the dog, the dog could of been hit by a vehicle, attacked by creepy teens, ran away where it couldn't' find its way home.
It is completely irresponsible on the owner.

So much training and money goes into service dogs, indeed if it was one. For the man to let it run outside, just goes to show what an jagoff he is. He was given a gift, and threw it away.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MrLimpet

IMO I would have pulled out my gun and shot the cop to wound not to kill. For intrusion and murdering my family member. If they treat their dogs as a officer, I treat my pets like family. No difference.

One more reason I'm armed to the teeth, and promote gun ownership.

When police are getting shot more and more by citizens in high numbers, we may eventually be left alone by LEOs and flip the fear for once and the people gain more control of our country.

I am so sick to hear of this story. I hope that that cop gets fired!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Sremmos80

TorqueyThePig

IMO it does. If he is going to harm others just to protect him self that quickly then he doesn't need to be a cop. They should be able to suppress that feeling and handle the situation with the least amount of harm possible. Not skip procedure out of fear

And if the dog injured him so he couldn't work? All it would take would be a bite on the hand to put him out of commission. Why should the man have to lose his career/income, because of an irresponsible dog owner?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

AK907ICECOLD
reply to post by MrLimpet

IMO I would have pulled out my gun and shot the cop to wound not to kill. For intrusion and murdering my family member. If they treat their dogs as a officer, I treat my pets like family. No difference.

One more reason I'm armed to the teeth, and promote gun ownership.

When police are getting shot more and more by citizens in high numbers, we may eventually be left alone by LEOs and flip the fear for once and the people gain more control of our country.

I am so sick to hear of this story. I hope that that cop gets fired!

Exactly the reason for gun control. For morons like you who think that a dog is more important than a human being.

Would you let a 3 yo run around outside unsupervised? Why is this dog owner letting a dog run around unsupervised?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join