It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Shoots Service Dog, Owner Gets Citation at boy's birthday party. "Horrifying Video"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I'm not going to post the video due to the cops profanity and very graphic images.

I will post the link along with a "WARNING" for anyone who chooses to see this very disturbing video.

A dog is dead, and its owner is alleging trigger-happy police work after a Filer officer shot the animal Saturday outside his home.

He shot the 7-year-old black labrador, “Hooch,” Clubb said, though it showed no aggressive behavior.

Clubb said he suffers Parkinson’s disease, and Hooch was his trained service animal.

“He didn’t have to pull out his .45 and shoot my dog,” Clubb said. “It was right outside my son’s bedroom. What if it had ricocheted through the window?”

Link to story

Warning video link:

www.youtube.com...

Video captured by Hassani's dashboard-mounted camera shows the officer exit his vehicle as a chihuahua and two larger dogs swarm and bark at him.

Hassani yells at the unrestrained dogs to "get back" and kicks at them in an effort to approach the home. Clubb's 7-year-old black labrador, "Hooch," can be seen and heard snarling and barking.

When the dog gets closer to the officer, Hassani fires a round at the dog from point blank range. The animal immediately crumples to the ground, yelping and crying before crawling away from view of the camera where it eventually dies.

link

edit on 12-2-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I see the dog as the only victim here. Bad training and irresponsible ownership on the parts of the police department and the dog-owner.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MrLimpet

What did you expect him to do?
Cops shoot dogs nowadays.
Judging by the number of stories that you see about it, it must be a requirement to stay on the force.

I am sick of cops.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The dog was growling and kinda lunging at him, but nothing that would make you think it is going to attack IMO. I love his "last time I got bit i had to go to the ER" excuse, sounds like it was more a personal thing. Would it have been too hard to not get out of the car and use the PA system? Give a couple chirps then call out over the PA and see if you can get the homeowners attention to get the dogs inside. Isn't that the job of a cop? To resolve the issue in least harmful way?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Idaho Police Officer Facing Wrath After Killing Dog

FILER, Ida. (CBS Seattle) – A southern Idaho police officer has been placed on administrative leave after video showing him shooting a dog went viral.

Link

edit on 12-2-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MrLimpet

I'm not going to watch the video, of course, but it sounds like these dogs were outside. If so, were they not on leashes?

ps edit - I read the blurb again. "unrestrained". So, was there a fence or were they just loose in the front yard?

Either way, shame on the cop as there are much better ways to handle that. But... leashes, man... leashes.
edit on 12-2-2014 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Too bad we can't arm the dogs.

Hassani had no choice but to put the lab down after it kept taking an aggressive posture behind him, Reeves said.

So next time a cop takes an "aggressive posture" with you.....

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Law enforcement has been increasingly showing that they have very little restraint when it comes to just about any situation. And this incident doesn't seem to be any different. How many people have been in a similar situation with dogs barking and carrying on? It's a pretty regular occurrence I'm sure. What doesn't appear to be a regular occurrence is those dogs ending up dead. This situation is the result of having a culture of law enforcement who's first instinct is always to their firearm.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The dog may or may not have been aggressive. Yes officer could have used
his PA radio & ask the owners to take the dog inside or restrain it.
The dog was barking but also wagging his tail & turned to walk away from the
officer as if to just bark to alert the owner.
Dog came back barking & waving his tail...officer kicked at the dog & that's
what appears to have started the lunge business.

Officer had many options as in animal control, mace, or taser. I think he should
have notified owner. This did not need to happen. The owner not only lost a best
friend but a working partner that he needed to rely, plus the kid will never forget
a cop shot & killed his dog. Just Horrible.

Cheers
Ektar

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

FraggleRock
How many people have been in a similar situation with dogs barking and carrying on? It's a pretty regular occurrence I'm sure. What doesn't appear to be a regular occurrence is those dogs ending up dead. This situation is the result of having a culture of law enforcement who's first instinct is always to their firearm.

Imagine USPS, FedEx, UPS, food delivery, Mormons and Jehovahs Witnesses, etc... all killing peoples dogs.

They seem to get along fine without drawing a weapon and shooting Fido.

Why can't cops handle situations at least as well the Mormon kid on a bicycle?
edit on 12-2-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Dog owner is the problem.

Dog is the victim.

Police officer gets blamed.

Officer was called out to dogs running at large, so clearly someone else saw a problem, the dogs or dog are clearly showing aggressive behavior by snarling and constant surrounding the officer. He tries to kick them away after several aproches from the dog, he hesitate once to shoot it, and takes the final and propably right decision to put it down when it dosn't stay back.

Notice he only shoot the aggressive dog, the other dosn't show aggressivety, and gets to live.

Sad but not the fault of the officer, blame the dog owner.
edit on 12-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FraggleRock

Years ago just outside of Los Angeles at ~ 2am, there were helicopters flying over head
& shining their spot light into the house & all around the yard. My dog barked & I got
up to look out the window just as some officer with a shotgun & everything else you can
imagine was standing face to face with me only to be separated by a screen.

She ask if I had a dog & I said yes, she said make sure it is inside & keep it inside even
though my yard was fenced. The whole street & block were filled with cops & who knows
what else. This went on for about 2 hours total. A guy tried to rob a 7-11 two blocks away
& the dude was hiding in the very back corner of my lot & 3 others where they connect.

It took them away to search due to a lot of vegetation, separate garages & etc.

So this shooting could have been easily avoided & I hope he pays the max for what he did.
He never even said a word to the dog or tried to communicate with him, idiot.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Cuervo
I'm not going to watch the video, of course, but it sounds like these dogs were outside. If so, were they not on leashes?

I always laugh at this question.

I live in a state where your "Leash" is your ability to control the dog off the leash. Literally, you're not required to keep them chained if you can control them.

And then there's the dog I grew up with. She'd climb fences. Got pepper sprayed in the eyes by a freaked out cop before we heard her barking.

And then there's the heartworm filled lab that belonged to a church member who would crawl through the electric fence like it was nothing.

Or the times when dogs yank their leashes out of your hands.

A sufficiently determined dog will escape, eventually. There's not enough obedience training in the world for some dogs, nor are there fences deep or high enough to safely corral them.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The two large lab dogs ran out onto the street as the cop was getting out of his car, and kept barking/growling at the cop as he was trying to walk up the driveway to the house. The cop yelled at them a few times to get away and also flung his foot at one of them, but both dogs kept going at him.

No fence, no leash, no nothing.

I'm not trying to excuse the cop's trigger happy finger, but this is a case of an irresponsible pet owner. Period.

This incident would not have happened otherwise.

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
if i was to shoot a police dog for barking and growling at me when i walk by his car, which the dog sees as his territory.
i would be charged with killing a police officer. when a cop kills a dog in his yard or in his home it's just a dog.

seems kinda one sided don't it

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Mianeye

Dog is the victim.

Officer was called out to dogs running at large, so clearly someone else saw a problem, the dogs or dog are clearly showing aggressive behavior by snarling and constant surrounding the officer. He tries to kick them away after several aproches from the dog, he hesitate once to shoot it, and takes the final and propably right decision to put it down when it dosn't stay back.

Notice he only shoot the aggressive dog, the other dosn't show aggressivety, and gets to live.

The only aggressive behavior I saw came from the officer. And yes the dog owner has the responsibility to keep his dogs either behind a fence or on a leash while outside. That doesn't excuse the officer's lack of restraint. I've been in similar situations with strange excitable dogs and guess what...I haven't shot any of them.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

I wasn't there so I won't Monday morning quarterback.

I will however, add a personal story. Just to note this is coming from an animal lover and a pit bull owner.

I was dispatched to a neighborhood to look for an aggressive dog that was chasing people.

When I arrived I located the dog which was a pretty big pit mix. I also located the house in which it belonged to. The gate was open and there was another dog hanging out in the backyard.

When I approached the loose dog it began barking and growling at me. It then lunged at me in which I kicked it in the nose. He backed off and immediately lunged at me again. This time I side stepped and removed my firearm from its holster. At that point I aimed at the dog and at the same time yelled at him to get back. I even said out loud, I don't want to shoot you buddy.

He again lunged at me. As I began to depress the trigger I swear time slowed down. When that happened I noticed several people outside of their houses, and a cable company contractor watching the situation unfold. It was at that point that I put my firearm back in its holster and took out my baton.

When he lunged again I "poked" him rather hard in the snout with the baton. Luckily at that point he backed off and walked back into the backyard through the open gate. At that point a coworker arrived and secured the gate.

Could I have shot the dog? Yes. I didn't because I was worried somebody watching was filming and would of put the video on Youtube. I didn't want to be harassed by people saying that I made the wrong call. I also felt bad because being a dog person I know that it is the owners fault as to why the dog is the way he is. Luckily in my specific situation things worked out positively.

I will say this though. Being in a situation like that is extremely stressful. It happens so quickly and it is very easy to make the wrong choice.

I also have seen two occasions where our officers did not shoot the dog and were bitten. One officer had a chunk taking out of his calf and was out for a couple months recovering.

Was the the dog in the video like that?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Sure the dog didn't help the situation, but then again it is a dog... It was doing it's job. Do you not think the cop could have made an attempt to get the owner out and restrain the dog before he shot? The cop made 1 kick at the dog before he drew and shot. a cop can't shoot a person that quick, why is the dog any different? This cop has an admitted fear of being bit and then needing to go the ER...
If the dog was standing its ground and not jumping back constantly then the cop would have more right to use deadly force. No reason the dog needed to be shot at the time it was, many many options were skipped because this cop didn't want to go to the ER. That he wouldn't have to pay for at all or lose any money due to being out of work. So is he just scared of getting harmed? Why is he a cop then?>

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Mianeye

Dog is the victim.

Just thought you should know you are dead wrong about this not being the cops fault, he is just as much to blame as the owner. He did not have to kill the animal, it was wrong, and that's that! You can justify this all you want, but at the end of the day you are still wrong in your thought! Please don't bother responding to this because it will not change the fact that you are just plain wrong! Do you get it yet that you are wrong?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
How foolish of you guys to think the cop should have to hide from a dog at the cost of being able to do his duty to his job. I would love to see the counter story you guys are asking for. "Bank robber murders two and gets away, cops fear of harming pet kept them from acting".
The dog is unleashed (x2) he didn't shoot both just the one that was stoping him from his job and obviously being very aggressive. Side walks are public property and that dog was infringing on the cops right just to be there by being so aggressive. You can hear the snarls and slobbery growls. The dog was looking for some action and it got some.

Not a damn one of you would accept the cop going back to his car when he has a job to do just because you feel for a persons animal. Get real. If the owner actually cared about his animals he would follow the law and restrain his animals from the public like law requires. I can't believe some of you on here.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join