It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. press freedom plunges to 46th behind former Soviet states

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Mods I placed the topic here due to this issue being a direct result of the Obama administration directed assault on the US media and "Whistleblowers". Move if necessary.

Yes, we in the US have now slumped to 46th place in regards to freedom of the press. Simply put our freedoms are in a sad state and getting worse. If I were a journalist in the US today finding like minded news people willing to publish touchy subjects from outside the reach of big brother would be high on my priority list.

U.S. press freedom plunges to 46th, placing it behind former Soviet states

In one of the largest drops in the modern era, the United States has plunged thirteen places in the World Press Freedom Index, placing it behind former Soviet states and other countries not typically known for press freedoms.

The massive drop is attributable mostly to the Obama Administration’s effort to crack down on whistleblowers. Obama’s Justice Department has filed suit against more whistleblowers than any other presidential administration in history.

Forty-sixth places it behind the former Soviet republics of Lithuania and Latvia and the satellite states of Romania, Poland and Czechoslovakia (both the Czech Republic and Slovakia). It also puts it behind Ghana, South Africa and El Salvador.

Entire list and map

It seems the stranglehold of oppression is in full swing for the United States and tightening by the day. This one we can lay at the feet of Obama and his enforcers within the DOJ. Seig Heil Amerika!

Hitler met nearly every day with Goebbels to discuss the news, and Goebbels would obtain Hitler's thoughts on the subject. Goebbels then met with senior Ministry officials to pass down the official Party line on world events. Broadcasters and journalists required prior approval before their works were disseminated.
Nazi Germany Propaganda

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The only way we the people can come back from this oppression is if journalists stop suckling themselves on the corporate/government teat and start DOING THEIR JOBS. Only if journalists present a unified front and start pushing back can freedom of the press be saved.

Doing nothing is no longer an option. Cause guess what, journalists? The road you're letting this country go down is NOT a road you want to let your sons and daughters inherit. You'd all better remember that. Wake the eff up and start doing your GD jobs... and no, your "job" is not serving as ventriloquist dummies for this criminal government.

Unless, of course, you really enjoy playing the role of dumb puppet, sitting there being forced to regurgitate talking points with the government's hand elbow-deep up your... you get the picture.
edit on 12-2-2014 by therealguyfawkes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I totally agree. I have noticed lately that Pravda has more unbiased reporting than ABC,CBS,NBC, CNN combined.

I am ashamed of what passes for a mainstream journalist these days.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Bassago
It seems the stranglehold of oppression is in full swing for the United States and tightening by the day. This one we can lay at the feet of Obama and his enforcers within the DOJ. Seig Heil Amerika!

I dunno man, I'm sure that after a page or two some Democrat will come in here and blame this on Bush or the Republicans.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

grandmakdw
I totally agree. I have noticed lately that Pravda has more unbiased reporting than ABC,CBS,NBC, CNN combined.

I am ashamed of what passes for a mainstream journalist these days.

Shame definitely describes it correctly. I left it out of the OP but it's a sad day when we can get more accurate information from Russian state controlled sources like RT than we get from our own media.

More than half of my news bookmarks are from outside the US. Seems the only way to even begin to see what's really going on.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I know how you feel I have to read more news from out side the country to hear what is going on inside it. If I read the local news it's just a recap of what was on TV yesterday. I don't really care what reality TV "stars" are doing, and I don't count that as news.

I don't think the local media will ever recover.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

The American of today, in fact, probably enjoys less personal liberty than any other man of Christendom, and even his political liberty is fast succumbing to the new dogma that certain theories of government are virtuous and lawful, and others abhorrent and felonious. Laws limiting the radius of his free activity multiply year by year: It is now practically impossible for him to exhibit anything describable as genuine individuality, either in action or in thought, without running afoul of some harsh and unintelligible penalty. It would surprise no impartial observer if the motto “In God we trust” were one day expunged from the coins of the republic by the Junkers at Washington, and the far more appropriate word, “verboten,” substituted. Nor would it astound any save the most romantic if, at the same time, the goddess of liberty were taken off the silver dollars to make room for a bas-relief of a policeman in a spiked helmet. Moreover, this gradual (and, of late, rapidly progressive) decay of freedom goes almost without challenge; the American has grown so accustomed to the denial of his constitutional rights and to the minute regulation of his conduct by swarms of spies, letter-openers, informers and agents provocateurs that he no longer makes any serious protest. The American Credo: A Contribution toward the Interpretation of the National Mind (1920)

en.wikiquote.org...

We are already there folks.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

therealguyfawkes
The only way we the people can come back from this oppression is if journalists stop suckling themselves on the corporate/government teat and start DOING THEIR JOBS. Only if journalists present a unified front and start pushing back can freedom of the press be saved.

Unless, of course, you really enjoy playing the role of dumb puppet, sitting there being forced to regurgitate talking points with the government's hand elbow-deep up your... you get the picture.

Kowtowing to the government worked pretty well for them in Nazi Germany so apparently the "weasel factor" is still alive and well. Agreed, the only way press freedom survives is with a united journalist front.

It would also help if the larger corporations don't fold to censorship demands as well. As in:
Bing caught censoring search results in US

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

edit on 12-2-2014 by neo96 because: double dramatic posts whoops

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

neo96

The way things are going here in the US seems like we need to say things twice just to try and wake people up. Let's start with the Snowden leaks and run them all again on the front page news.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

I dunno man, I'm sure that after a page or two some Democrat will come in here and blame this on Bush or the Republicans.

I'll be waiting.

This new whistleblower paranoia resides squarely at the feet of the current administration. Don't get me wrong, the Bush sin count is extremely high but this new administration paranoia is a direct result of being caught again and again playing dirty and getting caught. Like they did with the Associated Press.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
So the Nazis would have rated a satisfactory situation? Some people seem to forget or never knew how the Nazis really controlled the press. Saying the government controls the press like the Nazis is laughable at best.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Oh, I'm with you on that. Just pointing out that with this messiah complex going on with Obama, some left winger is bound to show up and try to spin this so that it is the right's fault. Of course, most of them will just ignore this thread and pretend it doesn't exist.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

buster2010
So the Nazis would have rated a satisfactory situation? Some people seem to forget or never knew how the Nazis really controlled the press. Saying the government controls the press like the Nazis is laughable at best.

No the Nazi were bad, just like the current situation we see with US journalist being demonized by the administration for not towing the party line.

Laughable? Oh sure, that's why we've dropped to 46th place in press freedom behind places like Lithuania, Latvia, Romania, Poland Czechoslovakia, Ghana, South Africa and El Salvador.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Why is anyone surprised ? We do not live in a free country. Liberty packed up and left town until apathy stops ruling the day. Just like every other story we see this will come and go.

Let's take a look at what the government controls shall we.........Media,Health care,Banking,Transportation,Auto Industry,Education.............This is not free society anymore. You know it is bad when they want to make the terrible things they used to do in secret legal and legitimate.

Hopefully our collective chains fall lightly upon or shoulders. There is only one way to stop this. We need to put the rights of the individual above the rights of the masses. It really is that easy and if you do not understand that please study it. While your at it look up Oligarchy because that is what we live under today.
edit on 12-2-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Don't worry. People will still be believing that it can't happen here right up until the day that someone breaks in their door and marches them off to the rail cars and camps.

People are too complacent and have been set up with poor education not to recognize the signs of what's really going on all around us.

They just made it an arbitrary law that businesses can't restructure themselves, and no one seems to be batting an eye about it. What does that tell you?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

They just made it an arbitrary law that businesses can't restructure themselves, and no one seems to be batting an eye about it. What does that tell you?

Can you elaborate on this new law a bit? Sounds like it may deserve it's own thread.

Maybe it's another example of news story quashing, this time to benefit the real big money players.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

The new Care Act deal.

Business can't fire anyone without on oath it wasn't due to the Care Act.

Subject to perjury charges.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Bassago
reply to post by ketsuko

Can you elaborate on this new law a bit? Sounds like it may deserve it's own thread.

Maybe it's another example of news story quashing, this time to benefit the real big money players.

It's the bit about how businesses can't fire to get under the numbers for the mandate. That's classic restructuring. They have to swear to the IRS that if they did any firing, it wasn't because of the mandate.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

neo96

Did Abraham Lincoln know something way back then?

He said: 'America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.'

Source: teresakogut.files.wordpress.com...

<<   2  3 >>

join