It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the F-35 JSF mean the end of the F-117?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Both planes are reported to have about the same "stealthyness" and the F-35 can carry more weapons.

The F-117 is subsonic, the F-35 supersonic. The F-117 is a 30 year old design. The F-35 is brand new.

It seems that the JSF can do the same job as the F-117 at a lower cost and providing more versatillity.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............

Any one have any thoughts on this?

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
They will probably be around the same price.

But yes, once the F-35 is in full production that a few years after that they should retire the F-117.

Whats the ranges of both compare to one another?

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
The JSF has bettered the requirement for a range of 600 miles according to Intelgurls F-35 thread.

I'm not sure about the F-117 though - I looked on Global security and all they said was "unlimited with air refueling".

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 01:04 AM
link   

AMM
I looked on Global security and all they said was "unlimited with air refueling".

ah, I hate it when they say that. In that sense the F-35 is unlimited, but I prefer to think of it as, how far you can go a one tank of fuel.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
agreed

I like to think of it as the "if we are fighting a decent enemy and we can't just parade around doing what ever we want" range.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
For me it looks like F-117 will be replaced by X-45. It is stealthy, wil have roughly the same range and payload and it's primary function is also ground attack.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Well ... errr ... I don't know whether this helps or not.

The F-35 carries 18,073 lb of fuel, unlike the F-22 which carries 25,000 lb.

www.aerospaceweb.org...

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 03:07 AM
link   
The idea is to arm the US military with an entire cache of stealth craft, this would render the f-14, f-15, f-16, f-18, and A-10 obsolete. An entire stock of craft comprising of F-22, B-2, F-117, and F-35 aircraft is the ideal status for the military and not too far away.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kenshin
Well ... errr ... I don't know whether this helps or not.

The F-35 carries 18,073 lb of fuel, unlike the F-22 which carries 25,000 lb.

www.aerospaceweb.org...

I don't think it really matters because the raptor is a much heavier plane, and thus needs more fuel.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
For me it looks like F-117 will be replaced by X-45. It is stealthy, wil have roughly the same range and payload and it's primary function is also ground attack.

I never thought of that, but it makes a lot of sense. Having an unmanned strike aircraft would also be better for initial strike misions as there is no threat to the pilot.

The idea is to arm the US military with an entire cache of stealth craft, this would render the f-14, f-15, f-16, f-18, and A-10 obsolete. An entire stock of craft comprising of F-22, B-2, F-117, and F-35 aircraft is the ideal status for the military and not too far away.

I don't dissagree with the all stealth goal of the USAF. The thing is that the F-117 is not a very versatile air craft. All it can do is carry 2 2,000lbs PG bombs. The JSF can carry bombs, plus missles, and is supersonic to boot.

It just seems to me that the F-117's days are numbered.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
The F-117's days may be numbered for whatever reason, but in discussions I have had with folks loosely associated with the F-35 program the F-35 is:
A. Not as stealthy as the F-117, and
B. Primarily stealthy when viewing the aircraft head on or from under it and in front of it.

Which makes sense because the F-35's exhaust port does not have any of the characteristics one normally associates with "stealth".
This does not sound like a replacement for the F-117...

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I here that there is talk that the f-22 would replace the F-117 and the f-15E, in the form of a regular one or the Fb-22. There is also talk of turning the F-117 in to the ultimate Wild weasel air supression. Just imagine how well it could do that job.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
...It seems that the JSF can do the same job as the F-117 at a lower cost and providing more versatillity.
I think you have to consider the roles. The F-117 is a "first day of war" strike AC for todays battlespace, and we learned a lot from it. It has no A2A role, but it's good for SEAD TODAY. It's value is that it can give us firsthand BDA's on critical targets. We launch CM's at less important targets, or to soften up EAD for the F-117's.

JSF/F-22 will replace our current hi-low mix. i.e. F-16/F-18 and F-15's. First day strikes will increasingly be dependent on unmanned systems. It's the new CM's and UCAV's that will replace the stinkbugs. They will have loitering and AAR capabilities. The new CM's will even be able to RTB. When we need positive BDA's, we'll put in UCAV's. If we really, really need eyes, we'll field JSF's with Raptors giving cover, or a B-2/Raptor combo after we've peeled back the first layer of EAD.

The JSF will be the last manned F/A platform we build. It'll be UCAV's from here out. So, no, the JSF will not really replace the F-117, UCAV's and new CM's will. The F-117 is just an interim solution. In another 10-15 years, they will all be sitting in the museums

What you should really be asking is, will the Raptor eliminate the need for the Growler?

[edit on 23-11-2004 by engineer]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
When the F-117 first came out it was the worlds first true stealth so it has been in a class of it's own ever since. From what I've read the F-22 is supposed to replace the F-15, it would also replace the F-14 if it were to be navalized before 2008 when the F-14 will be retired in favor of the cheap @$$ F-18's. The F-35 will replace the F-16 and F-18 primarily. It is possible that it will replace the A-10 except the A-10 may continue service for a while since only it can carry the Avenger gun.

The B-2 is supposed to replace the F-117 and will most likely replace it instead of replacing the B-52. On a practical scale the USAF only has about 50 F-117s so it won't be to hard to replace them with anything we have cheaper than the B-2. The F-35 won't really replace the F-117 since we never had that many and one B-2 will be able to replace multiple F-117s.

What will probably happen is in the end the USAF's last manned combat aircraft will be the F-35, F-22, B-2, and B-52. Our F-117s may be sold to an ally such as the UK or maybe Isreal.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl

Which makes sense because the F-35's exhaust port does not have any of the characteristics one normally associates with "stealth".
This does not sound like a replacement for the F-117...

Good point. But really I posted to say one thing.

NICE PICTURE OF SCOOBY DOO. You are cute too Intergurl.

My my number 6 is large

[edit on 23-11-2004 by DEADSTEVE]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Ugh...bars and chat rooms are there for you to hit on people

Anyway...The A-10 will be around for a little bit longer I think, it's not only the only aircraft with the GAU-8, but it's also one of the most survivable aircraft, it can have wings (partially) and engines blown off and still fly...

I personally wouldn't like seeing UACV replace conventional aircraft, but it's inevitable...sadly...but atleast this wont put pilots in danger...

Is there any word on the B-3 and it's capabilities?

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Gound_Zero
Is there any word on the B-3 and it's capabilities?

It doesn't exist.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Not yet...it's the planned replacement for the B-2 in the distant future...also known as B-X

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I always thought they new stealth UCAVs were going to replace the F-117. Something like the X-45 UCAV since they share the same roles more then the F-35 and F-117.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join