It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Becoming Prepared: One couple's story

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Hi,

This is a great little story about a couple starting to prepare. It comes from the wife's point of view who inferring a bit of initial skepticism. The article takes us along her journey to discovering that she is not alone and isn't any type of "ist." She just wants to have what is needed to live and survive in a variety of circumstances.

I was looking to see if anyone has similar articles or books to share with the group, or perhaps, a story of your own.

www.offthegridnews.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by bonecrusher321

Certainly, those folks made major steps in the right direction. Any preparation is better than nothing. Even thinking along the lines of being prepared is a start. For example, just thinking (and making only preparing lists) of what you would need if things started falling apart one way or another makes a major difference in how--if belatedly--you can sswiftly and confidently begin to put a plan into action. Such "plans" would be specific multiple plans for your area depending upon the remotest possibilities of a catastrophic event happening there. These would range from the mild to the extreme: civil unrest resulting in normal services being cut off for a period of time, possible threats from epidemics, floods, fires, storms, war, new ice age, Yellowstone going active, asteroidal impacts, and anything else you can possibly think of.

True, many if not most of those lists will include the same basic stores, but the lists should be angled toward the most likely to happen in your area. For example, an inflatable raft may take prominence on a list in some areas, but not make the grade in other places.

I would love to have a pallet of MRE for free, and the stuff squirreled away such as her friend has compiled, but one of the key things to keep in mind in having a stockpile is the ability to protect it (if not yourselves). Unless you live where no one else will come poking around during a time of extreme hardship, there is no way two people, alone, will survive for long. It just won't happen. (I don't recall where it resides on the internet and was linked from ATS, but the interview of the guy in Bosnia about his family's experiences of war in 2001 are a harsh reminder of how difficult it can be to survive.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Free pallet of mre's? Dang....lucky bastards.

I have always felt being mobile is more important than hunkering down...You can hunker maybe in the first week or so but by the time stuff is running out...people are going door to door looking around....and if you have an underground bunker with a vent pipe..that pipe is getting all kinds of nasty stuff put down it until you come out.

Fast forward to winter....are you generating enough heat..?
Fast forward til something breaks that didnt last as long as you wanted it too..now your stuck with something you thought you could depend on is broke.

Fast forward til the closest nuclear power plant near you melts down.

Eventually you have to move. My plan has always been to move two large rubber containers and a backpack immidiately to my jeep which has no less than a 1/2 tank ever....that gets me a couple hundred miles at minimum to a place of my choosing that may better help set me up. If the world is at a loss then its tough..if its just america...then id go to another country.

Best protection if you were bunkering down would be to have a pact with a group of people like us ATSers or some people you trust so when it happens you all know what to do and where to go....atleast youd have some resistance then.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

bonecrusher321 The article takes us along her journey to discovering that she is not alone and isn't any type of "ist." She just wants to have what is needed to live and survive in a variety of circumstances.
www.offthegridnews.com...

That is an interesting point she makes. I didn't realize that it was such an issue to get prepared over there and being labeled as an "ist".

I just realized that over here is Aus, in a way, everyone who lives outside of the major urban areas is encouraged by the government to be an "ist". In fact our local government officers drive around inspecting and anyone who isnt is asked to get ready. Check this page out:
www.cfa.vic.gov.au...

new topics

top topics

join