It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social programming + the collapse of religion and values.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

What's unfair is to insinuate all our beliefs and views are the result of media manipulation. How undermining of people is that. Very I would say.

You use civil rights flavored language and appeal to emotion because thats exactly the way the mass media and celebrities word the argument.

It's funny. I rarely ever watch or listen to MSM. Your posts express you're very familiar with it. Like you watch it all the time. Again, ironic.
edit on 13-2-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   

That's kind of the entire point that's being made. Christians are still the majority in the U.S. and yet the media is incredibly liberal and generally anti-religious. Christians are openly mocked on television, Internet forums, etc..

I think we can safely conclude that the majority (Christians) doesn't have control over the media. So that begs the question, who does? And perhaps more importantly, why is media so unabashedly liberal despite having far more viewers that aren't?

It's blatant social engineering, and it's working.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
^

Someone doesn't watch [or know about apparently] Fox News. The most popular MSM news station in the USA.

More Americans are watching Fox News over any other television news outlet, according to a new Gallup poll. CNN follows a close second while stations such as ABC and MSNBC fell flat with only one percent of viewership from surveyed Americans .

Source

edit on 13-2-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

That's where you're wrong. I don't have faith, that is for the weak minded and for those who haven't the will to stand by themselves. It all boils down to this, You christians are just pissed off because you're losing the strangle hold you once held on society as a lot of the populace has finally mustered up enough courage to tell you guys to kick rocks. And a lot of the people seen to be "losing their minds all of a sudden" which is used as one example of the backslide of society is nothing more then a fragile mind breaking after for so long trying to fit in to a society they never wanted nor asked for and constantly being told that if they'd just believe a little harder life would be easier. It's just a damn shame it took them going all übergeschnappt for some attention to be payed, and even then it's usually never good as their "break" is usually blamed on demon possession or some other nonsense.

edit on 13-2-2014 by DexteramLucifer because: changed a few words

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

This is something that no one is allowed to address, Scorpion. But the truth is that regardless of whether or not God exists (I assume not for any arguments I make) the collapsing values have real-world effects.

There are social effects for being promiscuous, for one, including reducing the likely-hood of being in a successful marriage and that, in turn, reduces the chances that your kids will be married successfully without divorce. Regardless of the gay issue (my opinion on that is a strong gay family is just as good as a strong hetero family), the real issue here is the breaking down of families.

What happens if a family breaks down? Families traditionally allow people to build up wealth over generations and use that as a protective barrier - and these are middle-class folk, they are regular citizens. It allows one to have parents who help them along.

What happens as more and more people don't have family support, or as families are weakened? They become a lot more susceptible to being slaves, not kidding, without any say in politics or business - an underclass.

That is the danger of hand-outs - and I have had to be on them before. Here is the thing. It makes me nervous as hell to be on them, but sometimes, there is no way out. I know that when the government is providing my food or even shelter, they can take that away at any time or use it as blackmail.

However - it is not a fair situation if the government and corporations rigged the game in the first place so that I could not make it without being on hand-outs. It is only an illusion, in that case, that it is my fault. And this is what we need to address.

And back to the point of the O.P., I am under the impression that the "forces" you mention are interested in undermining solid family structures because it undermines the financial and social stability and security of the working class.

This is something that someone might not realize until it is too late, and they are gasping for air in a world where no one is there to help them.
edit on 13amThu, 13 Feb 2014 02:43:12 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DexteramLucifer

On the other hand, there are some outright insane policies coming from the newly extremist right-wing. For example, the delusional idea that gays being married is somehow weakening traditional marriage.

The truth is, gays being married strengthens families and the institution of marriage. They are getting married. Into a committed relationship. They can buy a house together, they can have a family. There is no reason why this is unhealthy.

I don't know, there are other delusional ideas being thrown around right now by the radical-right, like the general idea that hurting people is somehow following the Word of God, which is patently false.

More than likely, things are changing so fast that fear is gripping hold and the reaction has nothing to do with God, but with the inability to adapt. And - the best thing to do in this situation is to take charge and adapt in a positive manner.

Refusing to adapt only makes things worse because other people adapt for you (as in force you to do certain things their way).

-----

In conclusion, conservatives should be focusing on positive steps to improve the country, not negative steps to destroy it - and there are plenty of positive things that conservatives could be doing, as well -

Such as supporting gay marriage in order to strengthen families, or helping create programs for the poor so that they can become more self-sufficient. Small businesses need some help. The class divides in this country are getting hostile - there needs to be something done about that before the rich start getting capped or robbed.

That should be a basic practice of the upper-class - keeping the middle and lower classes happy, they are the only reason the upper class gets to exist in the first place.

If conservatives go to sleep at the wheel on this, they are just going to end up making things worse for themselves in a situation that is already bad enough as it is.
edit on 13amThu, 13 Feb 2014 02:54:30 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

What values does Fox News advocate exactly? None as far as I can tell. Fox is exactly like any of the other media networks except they tell you that if the libs think that X is good you should think it's bad. There's absolutely no substance to any of their news or programs and there's certainly no Christian values to be found. Fox is the division part of divide and conquer.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaydee055

Fox News is 100% biased, they are not a legitimate news outlet. I have read their online reports and seen how misleading they are - basically opinion pieces. I have watched a lot of their news shows and seen how biased the questions they ask their guests are, for example.

Bias is easy to tell. Is the news station promoting some kind of value that cannot be proven through facts or a legitimate argument. "Guns are good" is biased reporting. Reporting facts about gun use (in a manner that is not either a blatant lie, as I have watched Fox outright lie on its statistics before), however, is reporting.

In general, unbiased reporting in the above situation would be something along the lines of finding out a bunch of statistics and maybe a few anecdotal stories from both sides of the issue, with the goal of providing a holistic take.

What happens if guns are confiscated? What do people think about the issue? Are the criminals going to be able to get them anyway? Why not take a look at some mental health issues, is it a legitimate idea to do mental health or background checks on people before they acquire weapons, or maybe require safety courses? Why not ask some experts?
edit on 13amThu, 13 Feb 2014 02:59:51 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Modern communications have allowed for the creation of a market place of ideas and good ideas will tend to spread and bad ideas will tend to disappear

And example of a good idea would be, if I let other people alone to do their thing then they are much more likely to leave me alone to do my thing

Everybody opinion is as available as everybody else, when the pope/Obama or whoever makes a public statement once it’s on the web then everybody can comment on it, those comments are very often more astute/intelligent/humorous than those made by the public figure – do you think people wont notice that?

I wonder what would happen if pope/Obama or whoever had to use a public forum like ATS to get their ideas and policies across – imagine the pope having to post into the religious section on here – the hilarity that would ensue from that would be priceless

this might be relevant - Majority Says the Federal Government Threatens Their Personal Rights

edit on 13-2-2014 by racasan because: edit to add

edit on 13-2-2014 by racasan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaydee055

No Christian values to be found?? Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck! All associated with Fox News.

Sorry can you restate your point then if I am so off mark.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Religion is not dead it just got political. And as always it rears its ugly head breeding intolerance and hatred toward others. Never ending circular bullcrap!

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Christmas Gift for Atheists - Why God Exists Fox News

Obama Leaves God out of Thanksgiving Address - Fox News

Huckabee - Fox News

Just a few examples to back up your contention, the list goes and on and on and on.

You're absolutely correct in that FNC dribbles a fine "godsauce" over almost every rancid dish it serves. The whole "War on Christmas" deal, etc.

My comment on the extremist outlets: the ones "on the left" tell the truth and make it sound like lies; the ones "on the right" tell lies and make it sound like truth.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Gays represent a very small percentage of a society 1% or less. So for politicians and the media to "care" so much about them is not because they need a helping hand, it is more likely that gays tend to have more money since they don't have children and can manage it better. So what do politicians need all the time and what does the media care about so much?

You guessed it! Money!

What do homeless people and starving people have? Nothing, so we don't care about them. We do but we don't. We will use them to make money, but that is another thread.

What am I saying?

Illusions, ooo oo ooooo Ahhhahhhh! Illusions.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   

@ Jaydee055.... That's kind of the entire point that's being made. Christians are still the majority in the U.S. and yet the media is incredibly liberal and generally anti-religious.
Almost everybody who is somebody in the media or mainstream entertainment industry are working together in promoting certain ideas and redefine family and marraige... all branded with civil rights flavored language and fluffy terms that appeal to everybody. The media isn't even polarized on the issue. It is one sided when it should be making an effort to present views from both sides, in an equally dignified fashion. This one sided media bubble wrapped all over society distorts peoples thinking, getting them to think those opposed to these new reforms are operating solely on a religious basis, and therefore are irrelevant to the matter. They start to think that since everybody is saying the same thing, it must be correct. In reality, they are simply doing what the agenda driven media wanted them to be doing in the first place. Its like living in the matrix, reality and what meets the eye are two different things.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   

@ Lucid Lunacy....What's unfair is to insinuate all our beliefs and views are the result of media manipulation. How undermining of people is that. Very I would say.

well, then why is it that most non-religious people raise a hue and cry over the slightest hint of religious imagery in the public space? Like as if religious folks are trying to brainwash everybody to convert? Such behaviour undermines the general public as being so brainless that they would convert just by looking at religious messages or symbol. How is it okay for the media to tell everybody they need to accept gay marraige, but not okay when someone says marraige is only between a man and a woman?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by bitsforbytes

Gays represent a very small percentage of a society 1% or less.

3-10% is the general consensus.

Please demonstrate it's 1% or less…

Name your sources for that so we can discuss it.

I'll do the same if you want. Though I imagine you've seen the true numbers but ignored them.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   
The OP is thinking that moral values are "programmed into society" by media.
While it is true that social values and "morale" are programmed, I really do NOT think that it happens through conditioning and programming by the media..or at least not to the extent the OP believes.

Example: Myself.

I could call myself extremely liberal and progressive, thankfully and fortunately since I was raised in Europe. (I also lived in the states, just as a side-note).

My liberal stance on homosexuality, gender equality etc. comes NOT EVEN REMOTELY from watching MTV or whatever shows on TV and I do not think that "media" had any big influence on my beliefs whatsoever.

What I believe in and consider values comes mostly from my parents or simply from living in a society where certain things may EITHER be issues or not. For instance, as a little kid we were well aware that homosexuals exist because my parents taught us about it in some way. But it it was merely like..."Ok, there are certain people who love the same gender, maybe that's a little odd and weird..."....but that was it. SHRUG. Next topic. It was (and still is) an entire and total NON ISSUE in my family, in school or in the entire society.

The media didn't play any role in "programming" my beliefs.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   
The first useful illusion used by those who want to repress any specific group is that the members of that group (referred to by excluding labels) are somehow distinct from people at large.

Watch:

"Why shouldn't all people be able to marry whomever they choose?"

"Why shouldn't all gays be allowed to marry whomever they choose?"

It's not a matter of giving special attention to "gays" its a matter of society evolving over time to include more of it's members "in the daylight" i.e. living as they are, each with their own idiosyncrasies, without having to hide or repress (or be repressed).

To focus on the quest for any part of society fighting for equality as disruptive to dealing with social ills like homelessness is just another false dilemma. Why is anything focused on at all? I could as easily ask the more fundamentalist or conservative elements why they focus on the rights of fetuses rather than living breathing grown adults?

Why? Because they're both unfair comparisons. It's like asking a fireman why he saved the person he got to and not the person he couldn't get to, or asking the doctor why he let someone die while he was treating someone else.

PS: Recent studies inform that there are many more than 1% of the population who are attracted to members of their own sex.

Knowledge is power.

edit on 6Thu, 13 Feb 2014 06:31:36 -060014p062014266 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   

@ racasan .... Modern communications have allowed for the creation of a market place of ideas and good ideas will tend to spread and bad ideas will tend to disappear

communications and technologies by themselves do nothing. What matters is the agendas of those who wield it. After all a gun can only kill the person its aimed at.

Everybody opinion is as available as everybody else
But some opinions are more preferrable...some opinions are branded as ''progressive'' and ''good'' ...while others are mocked and dismissed.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Anew system does need to be in place as this one we are in is crumbling around us and it wasn't very good one anyway.. only for the few at the top!

But 'Islam' or 'Christian' System isn't the way either.... they are both Brainwashing Cults!

And we shouldn't all have to abide by this PC BS... there are people on this planet who quite frankly shouldn't be manipulating our childrens minds!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join