It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phrases People Use Wrong

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

opethPA
/rant on

"Where is you at?" (I heard this 2 times today and realized that something has failed with modern basic grammar)

/rant off

I would say ' twice ' is the correct term not ' two times '

Like ' once ' instead of ' one time'

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
For those on this thread that keep pointing out grammatical errors I used please see the last sentence in my original post.

"P.S. I apologize for any grammar errors I used above as I am tired!

I knew i said a few things incorrectly, indicated by the line above, but didn't care then and don't care now to change them.

Remember, it's all a mute point.. ffs, heard that one again today.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I try not to use "c"'s if I can avoid them - they serve no purpose that isn't better served by "k" or "s", with less ambiguity. Is "Celt" pronounced "Kelt" or "Selt"? See what I mean?

As a matter of fact, I think I'll plan on exploding my head again next week, after a rest, over the useless use of "c". Exploding heads take a lot of the wind out of your sails...

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

EyesOpenMouthShut
reply to post by muzzleflash

it doesn't count when used for math!

Anything counts when it's used for math - that's what math does... it counts!

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe

Tow the line instead of toe the line.

In my neck of the woods... I hear all kinds of good southern language. I make enough mistakes myself, so I am not perfect. It's just funnier when someone else does it.

I dunno about the line thing. Either way could have a history. Barges being pulled along canals were towed by lines, and the lines were towed from the bank. "Tow the line" can mean just hauling someone else's freight. Drawing a line on the ground,and daring another to cross it, sometimes leads to the line being toed, as they consider the ramifications of actually crossing it. I think "toeing the line" also has some sort of sports usage, but since I don't do sports, or bother watching them, I can't say for sure.

I'm from an area one would consider southern uplands - sometimes, the land was so up (and down) that one had to lie flat on one's back at high noon to see the sun. In that area, plastic contrivances are made from "plasket". I got in trouble with the local language soon after arriving there, lo those many years ago. You see, "ice" is that part of the anatomy where the legs hinge to the torso, and bend for sitting. "Ass" is that substance one puts in a drink to keep it cold. One day, a cute young lady came along with ground frozen water in a cup, and being of a friendly and sharing nature, asked me - "do you want a piece of ass?"

I don't recall subsequent events clearly after all these years, but I think I may have fainted.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

JHumm
Here's one I hate to hear...people that call a chimney a chimley.
Or ..whatever floats your boat
And anything that is mumbled instead of spoken some people are just to lazy to even speak up ....

Haha, I like to use that one, but it always sounded a little odd so I changed it to "whatever floats your goat". Meaningless, but fun ☺

If I'm bored of that one I use another Smurfism... "Whatever tickles your tree"

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

xuenchen
It's always there fault.

But it really dont matter none.

Um, is this your vague submission on poor usage of the English language?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Hoosierdaddy71
I hate when somebody says cold slaw. Cole slaw dammit!

Kohl = German for cabbage

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
For me the worst one of all time has to be "I could care less", well really? Do tell me much less you could care!!

For all intensive purposes....

They are so diluted...

Lemme axe you a question...

Innit bruv...

Nah'mean mah nigguh?

So I was headed to Tesco's like...

edit on 14-2-2014 by 8675309jenny because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   

pstrron
Knew a supervisor once that used the term "get it done did" with his subordinates. Half the time you could not understand what he was saying and I felt sorry for those that worked for him.

edit on 14-2-2014 by 8675309jenny because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I am by no means a grammar expert and I rarely correct someone's grammar.

But, there are some phrases and words that I can not stand.

"What do," instead of "What does". As in "What do the President think he's doing?"

I have a cousin that refuses to use the word "insane". He truly believes that it should be "unsane" and he thinks he will be the one to change it.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Welcome to the world of ghetto talk, hip hop, rap, and the 21st Century.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I worked as a proofreader and copy editor for years, so typos and bad grammar drive me crazy... so much so that I once had to abstain from buying a glass painting I really, really loved because it had a typo in the writing that was part of it. I knew all I was ever going to see would be that typo. When I read a self-published book that is full of typos, I sometimes can't finish it, no matter how interesting the subject.

Some of my pet peeves: insure vs. ensure vs. assure

- insure: issue an insurance policy
- ensure: make sure that
- assure: comfort someone with words

I also hate when people use foreign phrases in writing to show how cool and well educated they are, and then get them wrong all the time. Like "Caveat emperor" instead of "Caveat emptor" (Latin for "Buyer beware"), or "nome du plume" instead of "nom de plume." If you're not sure what it means and how to spell it, why not use a good old English phrase instead?
edit on 14-2-2014 by sylvie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

But what else could you call a literary garden ornament?
A Gnome de plume.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

I have honestly never heard any of these. Where do you live???
edit on 14-2-2014 by mymymy because: forgot the y

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Ok here's mine. People saying prolly when they mean probably. And until recently when you wanted to say how tall something was you spoke about its height with a hard t in the end like weight. Now it seems the word has been changed and its a th sound at the end like hith. I say height like kite.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

How's that work for taking a dump? We're sure not taking that anywhere.
How about shut the light. You turn a light off or on. Or put the light out.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   

kalunom
"My favorite pass time...."

Aaaaarrrgh!

PAST PAST PAST

Sorry but it is pass time as in your favorite way to pass time. Not past time
Pass pass pass

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   

opethPA
I'm embarrassed that I forgot about a few of the ones people have listed, specifically "for all intensive purposes"

Thanks everyone for making the end of my day enjoyable!

Isn't that supposed to be for all intents and purposes?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   

denybedoomed
"I seen that."

No, you did not. . .

You imbecile.

The "could care less" thing has always bothered me as well. Then you can care less than you already do?!?!?! So you DO care in some capacity?

My fiance pronounces "ancient" ank-chent.

Frustrates me to no end!

My aunt always said sangwich for sandwich. And you couldn't pull the word aluminum out of her mouth her tongue just couldn't wrap around it.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join