It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phrases People Use Wrong

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
it annoys me when, in discussions about firearms, people refer to a magazine(as in a box, or drum-type ammunition feeding device/module), as a "clip"...irks me to no end, because it's completely incorrect.

it annoys me even more when it's done in a completely ignorant post, that demonstrates an absolute lack of even basic firearms knowledge.

the "for all intensive purposes" things REALLY annoys me too...
edit on 16-2-2014 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

There are more than i can list. And many here use them every day

"Could of" instead of "Could have" is one example. It is indicative of not thinking about what you are actually saying, or illiteracy and not being able to put it in context based on spelling/conjugation. In the US, most likely the former.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Sremmos80

or a wench operating the winch. maybe using a wrench.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

All intents and purposes ! That's the correct phrase, for all intents and purposes. Intent and purpose .

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Really sad to hear that. I am equally glad that I am completely ignorant when it comes to firearms. Pretty sure you're alone in this pet peeve.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
A friend of mine always writes faired income when he agrees with a point someone has made instead of fair dinkum.
Little things amuse me sometimes.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

AutumnWitch657

All intents and purposes ! That's the correct phrase, for all intents and purposes. Intent and purpose .

Yes, i'm aware of what the correct phrase is....i would have thought that was obvious, given the fact that i put it in quotations, and said that it annoys me so, when people say it wrong...

AutumnWitch657

Really sad to hear that. I am equally glad that I am completely ignorant when it comes to firearms. Pretty sure you're alone in this pet peeve.

i know i'm not alone...one is correct, the other is not....it'd be kinda like calling a carburetor a spatula, or a frying pan a fork.....

nice attempt to bait me, by the way... -rolls eyes-

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
This thread is a fun read. "Supposably" is the one that irks me the most, but I hear and read a few others that make me giggle.

I had never run across these until I moved to Virginia.

"I'm shopping for a new bedroom suit". Or, "Come see my new living room suit."
Really? You dress your furniture?
The word is "suite".

"Cut the light on."
I just can't wrap my head around this one. I turn the light on, or flip the light on.

Recently, I was shopping for a few cords of firewood and read many offers for "core wood", lol.
Is that drilled from the center of the tree?

Evidently, many folks in my area sell "seasoned cord wood".
I'm not familiar with the cord tree. Is that related to oak or maple?

(a cord is a volume of wood, 128 cubic feet, usually 4' x 4' x 8' well stacked)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412
reply to post by opethPA

A group of our friends drive us crazy when they are talking and say "You know what I mean" / "You know what I'm saying"?
And it's also the tone they use when saying it

First of all, yes, we aren't stupid
--OR--
Since you didn't make a point to begin with, what's there to get????

Man that is just so annoying and condescending....ugh

They are all related & they all use the same phrase over & over

ETA: **Well, this may not be considered a 'used wrong phrase' so please forgive me **
But it IS an annoying phrase just the same

"You know what I mean" is just an other person's use for "ummmm" in a conversation. Pretty much, just a transitional phrase/filler.

An other misused word people say is smashed potatoes. You mean Mashed Potatoes?

Also; " Let me axe you something" Why what did I do to you???
edit on 27-5-2014 by BigEvil because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Got ta axe, why dis bother you so much bro?

aint nuttin, sailor V.

What annoys me more is people using numbers 2 abbreviate words only a few letters long, it actually takes longer to find the number most of the time anyway.

edit on b4141835 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
"Our prayers go out to their loved ones."

I am all for tolerance of other faiths; but what religion is it, where you pray to strangers who have no particular spiritual powers.

Praying to gods. Praying to forces of nature. Praying to one's ancestors. Praying to the living incarnation of the Way. I'm ready for all of that. But praying to strangers? WTH

Use that phrase, and every believing person, of every faith, has just been informed that your religion is the worst sort of maudlin treacle, trundled out only when you are called upon to express some sort of condolence. Use this phrase and you assure your audience that you don't pray to ANYTHING with either regularity or intensity. You're just putting on the musty old robes of religion to pose as devout.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

*in and of itself.

not - inof itself or inove itself or any other form.

Its been said, but *for all intent and purpose.

oh ok I found it
EDIT TO ADD:

*dog eat dog. not doggy dog world.

*nipped in the bud. Not nipped in the butt.

*should have, not should of

*beck and call, not bekon call

*hunger pangs, not hunger pains.

*wreak havoc nor wreck havoc.

*scapegoat, not not escape goat.

edit on 5 27 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

*scapegoat, not not escape goat.

I always liked when i see people type this, i always think of a goat in a ninja outfit breaking in/out of a prison.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

My English skills are really bad but for me it's a foreign language. I'm not sure if this example is correct grammar but something about that new Usher song "good kisser", I keep hearing on the radio, doesn't seem right...

"Don't nobody kiss it like you"

Isn't that some kind of double negative?

Peace
edit on 29-5-2014 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I know you stated you are trying to get out of responsibility for incorrect grammar even as your post is all about incorrect usage, but that strikes me as inherently unfair. What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, to wit:

"Phrases people use wrong"

Bzzt! It's:

"Phrases people use wrongly."

"Use" is the verb. "Wrong" modifies the verb, therefore "wrong" is an adverb. But the adverb form of "wrong" is "wrongly"

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
I know you stated you are trying to get out of responsibility for incorrect grammar even as your post is all about incorrect usage, but that strikes me as inherently unfair. What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, to wit:

"Phrases people use wrong"

Bzzt! It's:

"Phrases people use wrongly."

"Use" is the verb. "Wrong" modifies the verb, therefore "wrong" is an adverb. But the adverb form of "wrong" is "wrongly"

Wouldn't it also be "phases that people" instead of "phrases people"?

edit on b2525432 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join