It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds file lawsuit against makers of Fukushima nuclear plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
rt.com...

About 1,400 people have filed a joint lawsuit against three companies that manufactured Japan's Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant, saying they should be financially liable for damage caused by its 2011 meltdowns.

Lawyers for the plaintiffs, who are seeking compensation of 100 yen ($1) each, say the lawsuit is meant to set a new legal precedent on current regulations, which give big corporations immunity from liability in the event of nuclear accidents.

The lawsuit was filed Thursday at the Tokyo District Court, AP reported.

The plaintiffs, comprised of Fukushima residents and some 400 other petitioners from around the globe, say the manufacturers — GE, Hitachi and Toshiba — failed to make the necessary safety adjustments to the reactors at the Fukushima plant, which was first commissioned in 1971.

Then there is more on the subject of interest:

www.globalresearch.ca...

ABC News reported in 2011:

Thirty-five years ago, Dale G. Bridenbaugh and two of his colleagues at General Electric resigned from their jobs after becoming increasingly convinced that the nuclear reactor design they were reviewing — the Mark 1 — was so flawed it could lead to a devastating accident.

It will be interesting to hear how this plays out. Almost certainly in favor of big business over people and planet but still something to watch.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I'm not a big fan of litigious acts but this isn't a bad idea - for the point it will make only. It's like medicines that cause more harm than good - people have rights to a lawsuit but they might see a few dollars for the lifetime loss of health, and the pharmaceutical company has already made billions so no sweat. When it affects massive amounts of people - way higher accountability should be present. If these people neglected to make the plant safer when they knew better - they should be held to the fire. If a true accident - different story, but I understand they could have implemented further safety measures long before the quake hit.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
They absolutely should, I did a thread how a Plant far nearer to the epicenter survived intact and functioning, why?

No corners cut.

How tenacity, a wall saved a Japanese nuclear plant from meltdown after tsunami.
edit on 11-2-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
They better hurry up. This information was requested so I am posting it here. There was a treaty offered to Japan as a get out of jail free card to protect them and Tepco against lawsuits. Of course the news article paints it as pretty, but its not. It severely limits their liability. We can only hope these lawsuits predate the treaty and that the treaty will have no affect on the lawsuits.

Original post

Original article

Article 4
Liability Amounts

Subject to Article III.1(a)(ii), the liability of the operator may be limited by the Installation State for any one nuclear incident, either:

to not less than 300 million SDRs; or
to not less then 150 million SDRs provided that in excess of that amount and up to at least 300 million SDRs public funds shall be made available by that State to compensate nuclear damage.

We are screwed. This is a blanket protect everyone's rear end treaty. It not only protects the USA, it protects Japan, and it even protects Tepco. Not to mention 50% of the funds will be going to damage done outside of the nuclear states territory.

I think you guys should really at the very least skim this shenanigans.

www.iaea.org...

Per the news article Japans parliament wont get to look at this or vote on it until next year. However IMHO I think they will jump all over it as a get out of jail free card. I don't know if they had any plans of going after compensation from any foreign companies but this would limit their liability to the world. It would limit Tepco's as well.

Down to a pitiful amount I might add. To their own people and to the anyone in the future that this radiation affects. In the treaty is even goes so far as to state whether through direct radiation damage or indirect. Something radiation might have caused. Its all blanket. Someone correct me if I am wrong here.

edit on 12-2-2014 by Pimpintology because: of Fukushima radiation!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimpintology

Thank you for posting a link to that treaty - I'd read about it before and forgot - there is just so much 'hidden' maneuvering around Fukushima.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   

FyreByrd
reply to post by Pimpintology

Thank you for posting a link to that treaty - I'd read about it before and forgot - there is just so much 'hidden' maneuvering around Fukushima.

It's Japan, that's why. It really isn't a free country for the press at all.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Every country and every person in the world needs to file a law suit against TEPCO and any other power companies with atomic energy plants that have had any kind of accident, including steam leaks and small environmental contamination.

I'd love to join in that class action suit, even if I only got 1/2 a yen.

top topics

join