It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why wild animal/demon behaviour when blood sugar drops

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I think I need to apologize for my earlier post. There was no intention to be flippant, I posted the video by way of showing that low blood sugar does indeed affect behavior. I have a friend who becomes, not Betty White, but something far more terrifying when he's hungry. And he isn't diabetic.

Anyway, I lost a niece to diabetes. And again, if I offended, it was not my intent.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Phage
I think I need to apologize for my earlier post. There was no intention to be flippant, I posted the video by way of showing that low blood sugar does indeed affect behavior. I have a friend who becomes, not Betty White, but something far more terrifying when he's hungry. And he isn't diabetic.

Anyway, I lost a niece to diabetes. And again, if I offended, it was not my intent.

Who was offended? Too lasy to read page 1 again. I liked Betty.. she a piece of work! RIP

She is passed, right? (not totally sure)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
The problem is a physical problem entirely. The brain functions on two main components: glucose and oxygen. If one of those two components is missing, the brain cells begin to malfunction, misfire (leading to seizure), and without emergency treatment, the brain cells begin to die. The stages/ signs of low blood sugar onset generally proceed as follows: Spaceyness, stumbling, slurring of words, clumsiness, appearance of drunkeness, irrational behavior, irritability. Often in this stage of malfunction, the diabetic can become so irrational or fearful, (not recognizing anyone), that they can become violent. If untreated, the next stage of the low blood sugar emergency is the misfiring of the brain cells, which causes seizure, and if untreated, then progresses into the final stages of brain cell death. I would recommend your family go to a 1 day hospital course at your local hospital to get training on proper emergency protocols for this issue. Contact the diabetes dept of your hospital for training. Look up a term called Hypoglycemia Unawareness, which is a condition which affects many diabetics. -It is a condition where the body does not feel hunger or onset of low blood sugar, and these are the diabetics most prone to the events that your Dad is suffering. A Continuous Glucose Monitoring system, CGM, is a great help to people like your Dad, and can often prove to be a lifesaving device. I use one, and as a diabetic with hypoglycemia unawareness, can attest to the value of the CGM. It is important to do your research on obtaining the most accurate brand of device possible. I wish your Dad and all of you the best.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
So this being ATS and all....

So sugar was invented to "tame" us. It is the missing link.

And all this time I have been refusing to put fluoride in my coffee.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
It must be distressing to witness your father in this state. It seems that you father needs to take ownership of his diabetes, until he does these hypoglycemic episodes will continue. I don't know how much diabetic education your father has had, nor do I know what his level of comprehension of symptom management of such episodes.

Sometimes loved ones have to stand back and say, "We can only help you if you meet us half way by taking ownership of your diabetes"

With him having so many hypoglycemic events, he is most not recognizing the small changes that occur in his body. Ie weak, sweaty, etc. Once his blood sugar's drop much lower then it will be hard to get him to agree on anything and would be classed as a medical emergency. If he willing to talk with you, then suggest that he see's his medical practitioner to look into whether the current insulin dose regime could be altered to prevent further hypoglycemic events.

If he gets regular blood tests then the HbA1c blood test fairly accurate picture of the state of glucose control in a diabetic over a three month period. This test should assist your fathers medical practitioner on reviewing his insulin regime. Some times adrenaline (fight or flight) is the culprit in hypoglycemic events. The body reacts to the drop of glycogen in the brain.

FYI

The brain has a lower threshold for glucose than any other tissues with glucose crossing the blood-brain barrier by facilitated diffusion involving active transport. An increasing amount of glucose is extracted from the brain as the blood levels fall.

Behavioral changes such as drowsiness and fatigue have a protective role in limiting glucose utilization by muscle. If the blood glucose level continues to drop, the final stage of coma is also a protective response as brain glucose and oxygen requirements are reduced in this state.

There is consequently good reason for suggesting that the brain is particularly susceptible to low blood glucose, and is disrupted by even mild declines.

Bizarre or violent reactions to hypoglycemia Hypoglycemia causes the brain to lack the sugar it needs to operate at 100% which can lead to diminished inhibitions. Hypoglycemia may greatly increase your emotional response which can make you exceptionally happy, silly, worried, frightened, paranoid or angry. The effect can be strikingly similar to a person who is drunk.

Hypoglycemia - effects on relationships

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Understanding Hypoglycemia Unawareness
reply to post by lonewolf2
[more

The synthetic insulin made today, (which is all that is made available to US citizens) lacks C-peptide, which is basically the other half of natural human insulin. Current studies and clinical trials are showing that C-peptide is the part of the hormone (proinsulin) that enables the body to feel hunger and feel the onset of low blood sugar. Someday soon, I hope, diabetics will have C-peptide replacement, as well as insulin replacement as part of their medication program. Until then, hypoglycemia unawareness is a very real condition that can not be simply controlled by will power or by taking ownership of the disease. The best current solution for most people in our situation, until C-peptide is approved for us, is the CGM. Regarding C-peptide, it also acts as a lubricant for the blood cells and the lack of C-peptide in diabetics is one of the major contributors toward loss of circulation to the capillaries of the limbs, kidneys, eyes, etc.

www.mayoclinic.org...

edit on 2/12/2014 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I can agree with this, i am a diabetic, and i recently went through a few of these, its when i go to sleep, give myself insulin causing my blood sugar to fall extremely low during night, when someone tries to wake me up they can instantly figure out my blood sugars low and I'm in a pre coma, I've been through a few of these episodes it never has ended good, sometimes alcohol was involved sometimes it wasn't, its about making sure not to give your self insulin to where your blood sugar falls at night, I've pieced it altogether overtime each time it happened I'm always in a angry, cursing the people out trying to help me, kicking them, punching them, never just chill, always trying to attack them and scream very bad things at them, i personally believe when your blood sugar falls at night, you are sleeping, you loose control of your body, and i believe the demons that you have inside you take over you, such as anything sins you do, are demons, they now control your body and control you as your loved ones are trying to fill sugar in your mouth, it never ends good, try to avoid it, i just went through it today, it was not good at all. i have a feeling i could easily kill someone when I'm in this state and i don't come back to myself until 5 minutes after they force me to ingest sugar, or give me a glucose shot, when i come back to i see panic look in the eyes of loved ones, try to avoid this at all costs it never ended good, I've been through quite a few of this, they must hold me down, and can barely do it, because i have incredible super natural strength. i came here today to get a little research on if it just happens to me but i see its really common, be careful fellow people with diabetics in the family
edit on 9-5-2016 by Dannyman93 because: add a little more

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join