It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials: 'prepare for days of power outages' Atlanta metro area

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

You bet I did. It has a small removable housing cover over it too. Buying this generator years ago, was one of the best investments I've ever made. Keep it in top working order, and test it regularly. Power goes out here in the Summer too.

Thanks for the kind wishes. I worry more about people stuck in cities with no power. I can always fire up the burn barrel throw a grill on top and cook if needed. I keep the grill and smoker on the side patio ready with a cover and plenty of charcoal and firewood on standby too.

People who say preppers are crazy...well...we are. Crazy like a fox...

Des

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

That is one of the main things that alot folks with generators dont think about. Yes they may have a generator but when was the last time it was ran. Not to mention regular pump gas with ethonal will gum up in the carb if stored. Needs to be stored with a fule additive or huston we have a problem.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Up to over 200k customers with out power.
Outage map

Eta. The map is just for GA Power customers and not local EMC's
edit on 12-2-2014 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Listen to online EMS (emergency services) Georgia. Pick out your County from the map, and launch the live feed of your EMS scanner broadcasts. Police Fire DOT. Great for keeping track of what is happening in your particular area.

www.broadcastify.com...

Des

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

To add thier are police scanner apps for tablets and smart phones. I use scanner radio for android.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Oops. Despite this mishap. the crews are doing a phenomenal job.

All quiet in NW Cobb now, but two more waves of weather yet to come.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

All quite here in north Cherokee 2 inches of snow. Power is on but south to the canton holly sprangs area some outages. Did see GDOT plowing so all is good............. for now.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

I still have and use, my C Crane hand crank radio I purchased when Art Bell was doing C2C. I got the one with the solar panels, hand crank and rechargeable back up batteries, plus a couple of hand held scanners. I like to be prepared, Bubba...

Thanks for the info on the apps. I do have 2 iphone apps, the live wunderground.com and the app that came with my iphone. I really use the radar app a lot.

What elevation are you? I'm at 3,260 ft. Union County, about 25 miles from the N.C. border. That's by road, not as the crow flies. The wind can howl through the gap here. They say we'll be getting it later this afternoon.

Des

edit on 12-2-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Made it in fine, no National Guard needed, but saw them out and about. Got lots of pics, (not of National Guard lol) will try and get some up later if I can. Roads weren't bad. People driving on them, however, were.

316 had the slow lane cleared, plowed, de-iced, and people were passing me going 50-60 mph. Even a semi tractor trailor did. Those are the ones that cause the problems. Saw one guy going waaay too fast, try to stop at a light to turn left, spun out after fish tailing. Did a couple 360's into the intersection. Thank God no one else was on the road and he was not coming towards me. He finally stopped and straightened it up, but something tells me he learned nothing. They usually don't untill they total their cars, and sadly, someone elses.

Anyways, glad I made it in, and was uneventful.

edit on 12-2-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Not a high as you. Im around 1100ft

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Good deal........ now get to work

stay warm and stay safe.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I read where people are fighting for food in preparation for 4 inches of snow! It will be blood in the streets if and when something really big happens.
edit on 12-2-2014 by wrkn4livn because: Grammar

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Glad you made it in safely. Hope you also make it home without incident.

Drivers like you describe really piss me off. During such conditions, those people have NO business on the roads because they put other people at risk for serious injury. I kinda wish that A-hole would've hit some fixed object just to teach him a lesson.

Still pretty calm here in south Walton county.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by wrkn4livn

That is true, 2 weeks ago to the day Atlanta had a test run for the apocalypse and it failed.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
New pic from my front deck. Ice starting to form from the fog. They say real ice will hit around 3 to 4 today.

On the local Atlanta tv news, a lot of new traffic wrecks starting to be reported as idiots think it's all over and they can drive now.

Glad you made it to work safe and sound Liberty.

Stay safe all. It's not over yet.

Des

edit on 12-2-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

The main line

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

From my front porch, leaving to come in.

Back roads, not too bad. About 1 1/2 inch snow, sleet, packed.

Small town, Ga. Best not blink, lest you miss it. Literally. Lol.

Finally, civilization!

Hardly any accumulation on the grass. It mostly stuck on the roads. The ground is just too warm, but the roads were nice and prepped by all the rain, then sleet. Can see a nice little snow bank made by the plow guy. Lol. Tons of these all over the hospital complex.

This is the guy plowing the parking lot, making the mini snow banks like in the pic above.

Note the Canadian geese on the berm next to him. May have to zoom in to see them. The flock lives here, have since I have been here, 12 years this month, in fact! They fly in every morning. They were harrassing the plow guy, every time he went by. Lol. They wanted to be left alone. Was a lot of water pooling there, and they were enjoying it. He was ruining all their fun!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Lawwdy yall have a red light.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Ty, the worst part will be being stuck here till Friday. Lol. Packed half my life in my car! At least I didn't have to leave all that and have someone bring me in. That's a good thing. I packed one uniform or outfit into a grocery bag for protection from water, then other stuff, the same. Used a bunch of grocery bags, then everything into a garbage bag, then that went into the trunk. Figured it was better than using a suitcase.

Just grab a bag from the trunk and go. Use it to pack the dirty clothes in, and keep them seperated from the clean clothes. Hate the way a suitcase starts smelling after a few days! >.<

All toiletries, etc. packed in other bags, and since I am a smoker, I will be running out there anyway, and keeping the car de-iced. Lol.

Just going to be very tired tonight, 12 hours is going to drag. :

I know two things for certain. We will have power. We have HUGE generators, and hospitals get priority in outtages.

We will have food. We have a great cafeteria! Catered by Morrison's, and open till 2:30 am every night. Always something hot, something from the grill, or something nice from the salad bar or cooler. So, in a way, it's kinda nice, too.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

hillbilly4rent

Lawwdy yall have a red light.

We do! We actually have two, I think! Wanna know what's realllly odd? They have those spy cams on them. Lol. The ones they use, not for red light tickets, but the ones DHS uses to track people. Kinda creepy. That road is a major escape route for any danger, so I guess that's why.

Lol, you can zoom in and see them, even. Right in the middle, poised so they catch the tag after ya go through the light.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join