It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials: 'prepare for days of power outages' Atlanta metro area

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
A big thank ya for antar, lucidity and danbones

Eta when I spoke to the guardsmen they said the guard has small units in all small community's in the effected areas. To help with emergency matters of all types.
edit on 12-2-2014 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Just got off the phone with a bud in Alpharetta, GA. He doesn't seem to worried in his neck of the woods. Of course he can be a idiot at times. He got stuck in traffic the last storm for five hours. All because he insisted that he could drive the two miles to buy some smokes. He could've walked that in a fifth of the time. But right now he says everything is ok.

Best of luck to y'all down south. It's not the end times. (BTW, that'll be next monday when I go on my first date in years. LOL)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Better call out the national guard again, poor Atlanta getting snow snow and ice. I haven't seen the grass here in 2 months. It's covered under 2 feet of snow and ice.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Best of luck to y'all down south. It's not the end times. (BTW, that'll be next monday when I go on my first date in years. LOL)

Oh lawwdy

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Its not the snow its the ice thats the main danger.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
hey HB4R, all the best...
TDawg...GET LUCKY!

PS
alcohol doesn't freeze to easily so curl up with a bottle of JD and maybe a hot date...
now your cookin

also keeping grass indoors so you have a little patch of cheerful greenness can be very good for the moral...
just ask any leprechaun

edit on 12-2-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
www.econogics.com...

Window quilts are something old and popular up here. Ice is ice and something north or south you just can't do anything about except hunker down and prepare.

GREAT idea about the tea lights and clay pot!!

Even leaving the mini blinds down during the day makes a huge difference. Up here we make things like chicken salad, bologna salad, pasta salad before a storm for quick eats. Its not ideal, but convenient.

In a "pinch" and with caution it's possible to heat up food on top of the kerosine heater. In a steel pot with loads of adult supervision!!!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

Speaking of the National Guard, the road I need to travel to work is now closed. Work is sending the National Guard to come pick me up!

I feel special.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
in the abscence of the hot date:
i have here a hand warmer heat pack 4" by 6"
ingredients:
iron powder, water, salt, activated charcoal, and vermiculite
air activated gets to 125 F to 144 F last about 10 hours...

exothermic reaction of common household stuff
how cool is that?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Just remember to thank them. They have a rough task ahead of them along with GA power and the out of state power crews, fire and emergency personal.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

the guard read my post about the hot date...?
I are flattered

GO GUARD!

hope they got the part about the JD too

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Libertygal

Speaking of the National Guard, the road I need to travel to work is now closed. Work is sending the National Guard to come pick me up!

I feel special.

That's pretty cool. What do you do?

Be sure and act like you're being arrested, just to mess with any nosy neighbors..

Things aren't too bad here...yet, on the East side. *fingers crossed*
edit on 12-2-2014 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

I would scream I dont want to go to a FEMA camp. On secound thought skip that part.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Liquesence

Libertygal

I feel special.

That's pretty cool. What do you do?

Be sure and act like you're being arrested, just to mess with any nosy neighbors..

Things aren't too bad here...yet, on the East side. *fingers crossed*
edit on 12-2-2014 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

Gawd! I do love me people with a twisted sense of humor!

It would be good to get the NG guys in on the joke. Just to make it realistic and all.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
97000 customers out of power

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Good Mornin' Ya'll....

Still have power here, haven't had to fire up the generator. I'm about to bundle up and take some pics to post of my little plot of snow covered dirt on top of the mountain. All is well up here....so far. The word on local tv stations, we are looking at the ice hitting us this afternoon.

I think the debacle of two weeks ago in Atlanta, made TPTB be over prepared for this event. That is a good thing for people living in less rural areas.

Be back soon...I hear a cup of espresso calling my name....

ETA: My driveway as of now...

Side of house looking towards front pasture and pond area...

Hay storage shed...

Des

edit on 12-2-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

hillbilly4rent

Just remember to thank them. They have a rough task ahead of them along with GA power and the out of state power crews, fire and emergency personal.

Well, of course! Going to try to go ahead and make it in myself. Only about 7 miles from 316 which I hear is passable. I really will only take National Guard if I have to, and I will be extremely grateful and gracious.

I work in a hospital, unit secretary and ekg monitor tech for a Neuroscience Unit. We have a 31 bed unit, 10 of which are Critical/ICU, the rest are acute. We are the stroke unit, as well as a Level II Trauma Center.

I admit and discharge patients, and watch the heart monitors, answer phones, and patient calls. I multi-task, kind of a little bit of everything, but, my job is by no means menial.

Anyways, husband is warming up the car, the driveway and road here is only about 1 1/2 inch of snow. Precip has all but halted for several hours, but more to come. Thats why they want me to come in now for 7pm shifts tonight and tomorrow. So, I will be working till basically Friday morning.

I won't ask for National Guard until and unless I just can't make it, and only one part of my whole trip really worries me, and it's a very steep hill, down, then up, and no guard rails, steep incline, with very steep drop offs on both sides. Never understood why they never put guard rails, but even in the rain it is a bit scary.

At the steepest part, you are literally looking at the tops of some very tall pines, at eye/road level. And nothing to keep you out of them!

One slip, and you are like a pinecone. Sigh. Not worth my life, so if I get there and the cops are there, I will call work and summon help and take the offer.

edit on 12-2-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Lol, at most, I will ask if I may take their photo, and tell them they have a cheering section. Probably make them feel better. I am hoping to not go that route, but if I do, I will snag a pic for you guys. Lol.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Did you check your generator before hand to make sure it will start? Cover it so that the cold start is not too much of a hassle.

Got you in my prayers today and through the night.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

hillbilly4rent
reply to post by Liquesence

I would scream I dont want to go to a FEMA camp. On secound thought skip that part.

Lol, yeah, think I won't do that, but love the mental imagery!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join