It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mar's Rocknest, a treasure trove of Curiosity

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

StoutBroux
Here is one rock I found interesting.

That's interesting, and well posed. What would have caused that large and well-formed hollowed-out hole/indention?

Could the white objects be just rocks which have had their dust cleared off? Remember at Yellowknife how when the Rover dusted off the rocks it was going to drill, they usually if not always came out very white. Under all the dust much of Mars is white rock, or so it seems. But these seem to be scattered around, so it would be counter-intuitive to think only these small rocks here and there would have their dust removed. Good find.

And there have been some really nice finds in the last couple of hours at Jeep's anomalies thread, and I've linked this thread there already (as the original purpose that Jeep had was to create a catalogue of Martian finds, and we've tried to put links to all the new Martian walkabout threads on it).
edit on 11-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by StoutBroux

Hi StoutBroux,
I have been dissecting Rocknest for a while now and have started cataloging items for reference. I find it best if people use the original reference NASA source images to see these items and not rely on extracts. This gets the cleanest view of the mosaic items, or at least for me. The pixel references are the X-Y pixel address for center of your viewing frame to get you in the correct position on the mosaic for zoom-in viewing. I hope you find this useful or at least mildly interesting. If anybody knows how to get back to the original images that stitched the Rocknest mosaic together, that would be very helpful. I suspect only the authors of the mosaic are able to provide that though...

Rocknest PIA16452 120mb+ TIF Source File

files.abovetopsecret.com...

Apparent Building Complex & Structures

This Object Has A Mirrored Face Inset... Examine Carefully.

This one is TRULY Bizarre...

Describing From an Earth Perspective, This Looks like a Fungi-Crocus Hybrid

Lots of "Non-Rock" Looking Debris

Open Access Door or Lean-To Shelter... or just rocks...???

The Solar System's Biggest Anglerfish Monument (...sarcasm)

edit on 2014/2/11 by BuzzDengue because: Fixed image links....

edit on 2014/2/11 by BuzzDengue because: Removed Duplicate Image

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by BuzzDengue

Those are great and thanks. I recognize some of them. How do you mark your place? I got so lost so many times I was getting po'd. Now it isn't so bad because I have been over many of the areas a dozen times but I still don't know it like the back of my hand. I noticed several interesting things but I tried to keep it as clear cut as possible. I am going to go ahead and toss in some of the other things I found interesting. By the way, in pic four of my OP, there is a CLEAR fresh groove in the sand with nothing visible that would have made it and if it is windy, it wouldn't remain that sharp. I will post more on that.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

StoutBroux
reply to post by BuzzDengue

Those are great and thanks. I recognize some of them. How do you mark your place? I got so lost so many times I was getting po'd.

In your viewing software, find out how to utilize your pixel address on your cursor... top left pixel in the image should be 0-X & 0Y and the bottom left is the image size in pixels (800 x 600,or 800X-600Y). HTH

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I hope the image comes out well but here it is. A fresh single line in the sand which goes on for quite a ways.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Things I have taken away from this thread.

1) Martians poop white. There is a slight chance they play golf but that photo looks like poo to me.

2) If you put arrows in a photo of Mars, there must be something there. There's something wrong with you if you don't see anything other than rocks.

3) Now, because of the number of arrows pointing to rocks in rover photos, I have to rethink my feelings that the rover is really just "roving" some desolate place on Earth. No wait... that's still what I think. As hard as it may be for some to accept, I don't think aliens come to Earth to buy a few cases of Haineken and have a moon party. Now I have to find those pics with the bottle caps in them.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Here is a nice image of a small cave and I don't know what the heck is to the left of it. Yes, there are red arrows to indicate the object. If I go in for a close up, the thing to the left looks like a fish, with an eye. This is another of my fav's.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I don't see anything hiding under those rocks, but the white objects are very interesting!

I agree with other posters that debris from our equipment is the best explanation so far. However, we need to look at where the landing took place, where the photographs were taken, how long the rover had been there, etc.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

GREAT eyes StourBroux!

That is very interesting (not your eyes, the 'stuff')

Thanks...another evening of eye strain looking at another Mars image...please NASA, just tell us already, my poor old mince pies have been through enough!

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Hi there everyone. This being my first post on ATS ever, please excuse any mistakes I may make. i came across StoutBroux's thread on the Rock-nest and decided to take a look myself. the link to the billion pixel pic and viewer is
mars.nasa.gov/multimedia/interactives/billionpixel/
I also viewed in panorama and raw setting. I have provided these pics with a zoomed out pic as well to help you locate the items yourselves. Please look at the items I have found to be very interesting. one location appears to be a pool of water complete with deep reflections of the rocks. It is a liquid and I would think it worthy of checking out. the other pic are of near perfect looking cylinders and right angled hollowed shapes ( like a box or such ). the piece I like is what I call broken teacup half. Well please reply with some feedback.
I hope the pics upload , if not I will try again. At the target site you can zoom in quite close , I am not sure how clear these pics will look to you here. cheers.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Sorry. These should show up better. Will sort it in the end. cheers

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by budoborn

That bottom one really does look like a pool of water, doesn't it? Quite uncanny and much more interesting than many of the pictures of rocks on this thread! I'm going to guess that it's actually an area of smooth sand with shadows giving the appearance of reflections, but that still raises the question of why the area of sand is so smooth! Nice work.
edit on 6-3-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

budoborn

Very curious. If I'm not mistaken the shadows of the rocks in the rest of the picture are very slight, but the "shadows" on what you call liquid seem more like reflections. Hmmmm. I'm going to put a link to this and the pic on the anomalies thread and get some more eyes on this one. Nice work.

EDIT: User ArMap mentions that it may be a dune, and the rocks sitting on top of the dune cast longer shadows. He's going to take a look at the original picture. Interesting how one thing, a dune (if it is one) can look like a tiny pool of water. Perspective and point of view rearing their heads and looking around again.
edit on 6-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I haven't found the original photo yet, but I found another photo of that small dune, taken from a different place.

As it's half in one photo and half in another (the right side of photo 0050ML0230008000E1_DXXX and the left side of photo 0050ML0230007000E1_DXXX) I had to make a two photos panorama.

Below is the image posted by budoborn.

PS: the colours are different because I used the PDS version of the photos, as those are always better.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Good find. That shows the optical illusion nicely, with the shadows stretching down the lip of the dune. Once your brain figures it out then looking back at the original "pool" image it suddenly becomes obvious that it is a dune.

But a nice example of how easily we can be fooled by "anomalies" that are really no such thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join