It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible briny water on Mars?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

I cannot see how people can look at all the activity on Mars and think, even for a second, that there is NOT life on Mars.

Yes. It's real easy to think there's life. A bit trickier to verify it.

A lot of things are easy to think.
edit on 2/11/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Aleister
From the "epic" Mars anomalies thread, funbox posted this image from a source he was pointed to on the previous page.

funbox's post:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 11-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

That looks more like shadow from the angle of the sun at different times than any water flow.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by JayinAR

I cannot see how people can look at all the activity on Mars and think, even for a second, that there is NOT life on Mars.

Yes. It's real easy to think it. A bit trickier to verify it.

Especially when the brainiacs don't have the foresight to put the proper instruments on the rovers TO verify it.

Marketing scam is what I call it.
"We are gonna send up these bad ass rovers and find ALL SORTS of indications of life for you guys, but if you want PROOF you'll have to give us money for another rover."

You see stuff like that with cell phone companies and the like. "Your phone has this OTHER capability, but to use it you'll have to buy a package with some other junk you don't want."

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Especially when the brainiacs don't have the foresight to put the proper instruments on the rovers TO verify it.
What instruments would you like to see on the rovers? Got some design plans on how to detect...something...remotely on another planet?

"We are gonna send up these bad ass rovers and find ALL SORTS of indications of life for you guys, but if you want PROOF you'll have to give us money for another rover."
Haven't see any indications of life being discussed. Have you? But do you think someone is getting wealthy off of this scheme?

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

The tracks where the water/sand/shadows fall are already set in the side of the crater, so if these were shadows they wouldn't all fall in those tracks. And on the right of the gif, where the water/sand/shadows are longer, there is really no object above which makes a shadow. These were taken quite some time apart. I think NASA even acknowledged this as one of the areas which were possibly briny water, and the speculation also included sand, but would sand fall all at once over such a wide area? A good gif to explore these possibilities (funbox grabbed this gif from another source, but he could have made this one and made it stand on its head and bark if he had a mind to, he's one of ATS's proficient pic artists).

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by JayinAR

What instruments would you like to see on the rovers? Got some design plans on how to detect...something...remotely on another planet?

Haven't see any indications of life being discussed. Have you? But do you think someone is getting wealthy off of this scheme?

No man. I'm just talking trash. I understand it was a very tough job getting those rovers up there and I'm sure there was lengthy debate as to which instruments to put on the rover.

People getting rich? Oh absolutely! All those NASA suits are loaded!

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Microscope!!!
Like here on Earth, if we want to see microbial life, we use freakin' MICROSCOPE!

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Phage

What I'd like to see is some kind of little arm or paintbrush thing that will dab a little water on a rock or something. I know when I'm out hunting interesting rocks, you pick them up, dust them off, and then give them a little lick or something to check their transparency. See if you got something shiny.

Maybe they could get some instrument to scour the atmosphere for water, gather it up, then put a little drop of it on a rock or something to see what's going on with it. Could be complicated to figure out, but that's why they get paid the big bucks.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Blue Shift
Could be water. Could be those darned blueberries getting periodically darker for some odd reason.

Don't you mean Smurfberries? as some guy in another thread called them, with the implication they were a figment of my imagination

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

Like here on Earth, if we want to see microbial life, we use freakin' MICROSCOPE!
Yeah. If you want to see a particular thing, if you're lucky and pick the right spot. But there are things that look like microbes and aren't, just like there are rocks that look like...things.

I think the chemistry approach makes sense.

Because these compounds are essential to life as we know it, their relative abundances will be an essential piece of information for evaluating whether Mars could have supported life in the past or present.

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The chemistry approach is fine, they came to conclusion that Mars could have had all the necessary chemical compounds to support life even though they already knew there was liquid water sometime in the past on the surface of Mars, so NASA has only verified what they already knew, so to speak.
Not only that, if they suspected that melting H2O flows today when spring starts in regions close to Martian North Pole, why didn't they send MSL where suspected H2O is, with microscope among the other instruments? Aftel all, we need to see organisms if they exist and not only confirmed with chemistry experiments, don't you agree?

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
We have images of these things going way back... Weren't these always attributed to "slumping"?

If anyone's making money off this stuff, it would be Mr. Malin and his cameras.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

The chemistry approach is fine, they came to conclusion that Mars could have had all the necessary chemical compounds to support life even though they already knew there was liquid water sometime in the past on the surface of Mars, so NASA has only verified what they already knew, so to speak.
Life requires more than water.

Not only that, if they suspected that melting H2O flows today when spring starts in regions close to Martian North Pole, why didn't they send MSL where suspected H2O is, with microscope among the other instruments?
Actually the suspected water flows are not near the north pole. The north pole is too cold for there be liquid water, ever. The flows are at lower latitudes and on cliffsides. Very dangerous locations for landers. I'm sure they would have liked to have landed there if it were at all reasonable to do so.

Aftel all, we need to see organisms if they exist and not only confirmed with chemistry experiments, don't you agree?
Not necessarily. But that is not the mission. One step at a time...

These guys want very much to find evidence of life (present or past). They are very smart and they have thought hard about how to go about it.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Here's one from a few years ago .

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by JadeStar

The tracks where the water/sand/shadows fall are already set in the side of the crater, so if these were shadows they wouldn't all fall in those tracks. And on the right of the gif, where the water/sand/shadows are longer, there is really no object above which makes a shadow. These were taken quite some time apart. I think NASA even acknowledged this as one of the areas which were possibly briny water, and the speculation also included sand, but would sand fall all at once over such a wide area? A good gif to explore these possibilities (funbox grabbed this gif from another source, but he could have made this one and made it stand on its head and bark if he had a mind to, he's one of ATS's proficient pic artists).

Fair enough. Usually when we have such animations there is a time/date stamp on them.

Why didn't funbox do this?

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

JadeStar

Boscov
reply to post by Phage

All good points. In this case, repositioning would serve the hypothesis well, irregardless of logistics.

The word you want is regardless. Irregardless isn't really a word.

Been used long enough.

Usage Discussion of IRREGARDLESS

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however.

www.merriam-webster.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Life requires more than water.

I don't believe our experience of life is great enough to know this, in fact i am full positive there is life that requires even zero water.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Ok. Correction: Life as we know it requires more than water.

Looking for life as we know it on Mars is tricky enough without having to look for life as we don't know it.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

And I'll be the first to say that Mars is covered in life as we don't know it!

And if that makes sense to anyone, they're probably an example of that x-life.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

JadeStar
Old regurgitated story from December.... not surprised it took Fox News that long to pick up on it, they're a bit slow on the uptake....

It's actually a new article at JPL: www.jpl.nasa.gov...
Although we've heard of this phenomenon before, new data is being compiled and analysed. It's the first time I saw imagery from MRO's mineral-mapping spectrometer.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join