It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hilarious explanations of the Bill Nye Debate notepad creationist photos.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

benrl

Akragon

adjensen
reply to post by benrl

The whole debate was pointless.

I agree -- I'm not a Creationist, and I turned off the debate about halfway through because it was pointless. I have no idea why Nye even agreed to do it.

But I do not agree that people should be belittled for their beliefs -- if someone wants to think that Jesus rode a dinosaur, that's just stupid, but whatever, people believe all sorts of stupid things, and you fix that through education, not ridicule.

LOL

I agree with this but how do you educate someone who refuses to listen to logic?

If you have any ideas, please let me know...

After that debate was over the people around me just shook their heads as if Bill had nothing relevant to say

You don't

They can't even comprehend their own viewpoint, let alone someone elses, it was why this debate was a farce and waste of time.

I agree with that as well...

Unfortunately that doesn't help me much

edit on 11-2-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

The problem here is that people are looking at this as if it was one religion vs another. Show me a Christian vs Muslim debate and i will concede that that sides should be able to have their own beliefs and that they are equal.

This debate is Christian Creationists vs Science. Belief vs Fact.

Belief is not and never will be equivalent to fact. Voluntary ignorance will never be equal to knowledge no matter how many demand it to be.

This whole debate comes down to one thing, one of the final questions of the debate. "What would it take for you to change your mind"

For the Christian, the answers is nothing.
For everybody else the answer is evidence.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Tylerknight

Nice one!!

That was pretty funny.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
These people, due to their lack of critical thinking, and allowing themselves and their questions to be submitted on a public forum, are subjecting their beliefs to open criticism and even ridicule.
I particularly like the question, "Is it completely illogical that the earth was created mature?" At such a question I'd like to ask just what kind of strange laws of logic have I missed that would allow for such a thing? In our present observations of the universe and its contents, we have never observed such phenomena.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

kissy princess
These people, due to their lack of critical thinking, and allowing themselves and their questions to be submitted on a public forum, are subjecting their beliefs to open criticism and even ridicule.
I particularly like the question, "Is it completely illogical that the earth was created mature?" At such a question I'd like to ask just what kind of strange laws of logic have I missed that would allow for such a thing? In our present observations of the universe and its contents, we have never observed such phenomena.

Suspension of skepticism is akin to walking into a prison and just assuming that everyone there is a good person by nature.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Everyone's smug expressions and the rhetorical 'checkmate' tone of their questions make the acerbic nature of the translations appropriate. They are almost asking for it.
First-world "persecution" provocation is a badge of honor.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

reply to post by AfterInfinity

Lies can look pretty ugly through the mirror. Laugh or cry, it's always your choice. If you can't laugh about your own beliefs, I don't believe they're worth keeping.

Cheers, and 2 thumbs up.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
This is just more evidence to me that "Science" to most of you is "Who can insult each other the best".

It's exemplary of our education system and what it really teaches people (insult and bully tactics).
Just pointing out the obvious.

I hope everyone is really proud of their prejudices today.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Right, because the people holding the signs didn't have smug looks on their faces like they had just asked a gotcha question.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Grimpachi

Right, because the people holding the signs didn't have smug looks on their faces like they had just asked a gotcha question.

I realize that humans are hard wired to associate facial expressions with "intentions" or "emotional states", etc.

But you need to realize that your "justification" for judging people's existence by a mere snap shot of a facial expression that doesn't even have context of surrounding facial movements-expressions, is not legitimate in any way shape or form.

This version of "Science" isn't scientific at all, judging someone from an expression in a photo, really?
I know it's petty, and am willing to share that knowledge.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Version of science???

Look I do feel sorry for them but not because of the ridicule.

I am pretty sure most of them either have a computer or at least have access to one.

So if some of those questions were not meant to be some sort of "gotcha" as lame as they were then I am sorry a little ridicule is the least of their worries. Just maybe some of them will put a little effort into educating themselves on such things in the future.

Ignorance is one thing but willful ignorance is a whole other matter. What are the chances that they didn't know what sort of subject matter would be discussed at the debate that they attended?

Maybe I am wrong and those are pics of random creationists that were found wondering the mall one day which were approached to write a question for Nye. If something like that is the case then yeah I wouldn't think it is so funny.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Tylerknight

You want a good conspiracy theory, look into Bill Nye's relationship with John Cleese when they both worked at Cornell. Student protests over animal abuse, crazy!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Honestly after watching and reading all the news about it, I'm starting to get the idea that this whole "Bill Nye vs Creationist" debate was just a farce from the get-go to discredit and humiliate Christians as a whole on a public platform. There is no other reason for this to be happening.

I'd like to see Bill Nye vs Katy Perry on the fundamentals of Satanic Ritual... I bet everyone would think it was just sooo cool then

I said it before and i'll say it again, one belief is just as good as another, because that's all it is, a belief. The big bang is just a theory, the Almighty is just a theory. Just remember to not allow your belief's to confine you to one space.
edit on 12-2-2014 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Konduit

you do realise that it was ham who challenged Nye to a public debate , don't you ???

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   
its just so cool of atheists to belittle and deride people for their beliefs

You are all the smartys

Not like yours arnt beliefs either though

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Most Atheists i know are the most militant when it comes to tolerating other belief systems added with a pinch(or a bucket) of superiority complex.. Some of you have become the same thing you hate..

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

ignorant_ape
reply to post by Konduit

you do realise that it was ham who challenged Nye to a public debate , don't you ???

Yes, he's quite a useful idiot for the establishment. Your point?

I used to get frustrated at religious bigots, now I find that the ones pushing the agenda don't have a religion at all. Funny how the more things change the more they stay the same.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

borntowatch
its just so cool of atheists to belittle and deride people for their beliefs

You are all the smartys

Not like yours arnt beliefs either though

Faith is believing in things without evidence reason. Religious faith is believing in magic without evidence. Seems stupid to me.
Those people use faith as an excuse to be dumb! In an age of computers and Wikipedia.
"Scientific theories must be falsifiable." It explains in a scientifically RATIONAL manner, unlike creationism. So yes we are having a laugh at people who believe the earth is 6,000 years old, and the flintstones cartoons is somewhat accurate.

If you believe that scientific facts and creationism are on par with each other in any way, well that is your belief, and I acknowledge it.

We are not required to respect the beliefs of others. We are required to acknowledge them. Some beliefs are not worthy of respect.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

The thing is scientific facts change every day, it was once a scientific fact that the planet was flat and that the stars rotated around the earth. To say that I would have more respect for Plato then Mother Theresa just because of the (faulty) universal model he designed, then that would just be my own prejudices speaking.

So who knows... maybe one day mankind will find out that Science and Creationism are closer to each other then previously accepted. Until then we can just keep speculating.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Konduit

The thing is scientific facts change every day, it was once a scientific fact that the planet was flat and that the stars rotated around the earth.

Sorry to tell you those were not scientific facts by today's standards. The scientific method was not used to deduce those results however religion played a role in making sure people believed that far longer than they should have.

Scientific facts probably wasn't the best way to put it but actual scientific facts do not generally change. That is why they are facts. Fact water is H2O. Heavy water is 2H2O or D2O.

The Scientific Hypothesis can change.

A Scientific Theory can be refined.(change)

Scientific laws on the other hand, well I am having a hard time coming up with some examples where they changed.

Do scientific facts change

One of the great things about science is the parts that do change.

Reason is the capacity for consciously making sense of things, applying logic, for establishing and verifying facts, and changing or justifying practices, institutions, and beliefs based on new or existing information.

Religion is belief without reason. Every time Bill Nye said something about being a reasonable man at the debate I cracked up a little.
edit on 12-2-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join