It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee lawmakers issue incentive threat in VW union move

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

“In my 20 years on the hill, I’ve never seen such a massive intrusion into the affairs of a private company,” said Tennessee Rep. Craig Fitzhugh, D-Ripley.

In a VW plant in TN workers want to unionize and the company supports the idea but there is a problem, Republican's are threatening to penalize the company by withholding tax incentives because they are backing the UAW Union vote ... Keep in mind this is also a right to work red state.

“It has been widely reported that Volkswagen has promoted a campaign that has been unfair, unbalanced and, quite frankly, un-American in the traditions of American labor campaigns,” State Sen. Bo Watson, R-Chattanooga, said in a statement sent to the Free Press. “Should the workers choose to be represented by the United Auto Workers, then I believe additional incentives for expansion will have a very tough time passing the Tennessee Senate.”

Un-American? These Repub's are digging deep now.

“Further financial incentives — which are absolutely necessary for the expansion of the VW facility — simply will not exist if the UAW wins this election,” said Maury Nicely, a Chattanooga, Tenn., labor lawyer opposed to VW’s cooperation with the union.

And the threats keep coming, what exactly are they afraid of? Maybe they don't want us to figure out that RTW is a lie.

The management of VW issued a statement over the weekend that “outside political groups won't divert us from the work at hand: innovating, creating jobs, growing and producing great automobiles.”

Labor Unions ARE a benefit to the middle class and to the american worker VW should know, the rest of its plants are unionized too and they understand that having a union can boost productivity and allow it (VW) greater flexibility in adjusting to downturns.

It is the Republicans tearing this country apart with these right to work laws and Union destroying legislation and when they don't get their way they threaten to penalize private companies with tax penalties because they WANT a union ... Is that even legal? Unions are the Middle class and the Middle class IS the backbone of the United States. Why are we supporting the people who are breaking the backbone of this country and destroying it?

Source
Source
Source

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
This is obviously stupid by these Republicans, but do you really think one party is better at tearing our country apart than the other? Seriously, both these parties are full of morons.

Also, not every aspect of unionization is positive. You can have problems getting rid of under performing employees, less overall jobs available, excessive union dues and overcompensation for work performed.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

"Right to Work" is a misnomer.

A lot of money is being spent to try to stop VW and it's workers.

Yesterday, In These Times’s Mike Elk got his hands on a private document showing how DC-based political groups have moved to block the United Automobile Workers organizing effort at the Volkswagon plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

A consultant named Matt Patterson, formerly with the Competitive Enterprise Institute, authored the document, obtained by Elk, that spells out his efforts to mobilize Tea Party, libertarian, and local media attacks on the VW organizing drive.

Mr Patterson is drawing some...er...interesting parallels.

"One hundred and fifty years ago an invading Union army was halted at Chattanooga by the Confederate Army of Tennessee under General Braxton Bragg. The Battle of Chickamauga was one of the bloodiest days of the entire Civil War, and a resounding defeat for the Northern forces. Today Southeastern Tennessee faces invasion from another union— an actual labor union, the United Auto Workers"

Anti-UAW Consultant: Defeat ‘Invading Union Force’ at VW Plant Like Our Confederate Ancestors

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
A question about US law in this case - does a "unionized plant" REQUIRE union membership for employment??

And "right to work" means you cannot be refused employment because of you do or do not have union membership??

Where I work I am a union delegate, with about 1/3rd the workforce in the union and 2/3rds not - there are some minor advantages to membership, but people are free to join or not join as they see fit.

So while I'm all in favour of unions I am also all in favour of them not being compulsory - which they were when I started my working life in the 1970's - if a union can attract members then good for it. Management should deal with employee collectives and individuals not in any union on an open and good faith basis regardless.
edit on 11-2-2014 by Aloysius the Gaul because: trying to get rid of italics.....

edit on 11-2-2014 by Aloysius the Gaul because: still trying

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
When the unions were strong and well off so were Americans. Now the unions are weak and so is America.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Metallicus
This is obviously stupid by these Republicans, but do you really think one party is better at tearing our country apart than the other? Seriously, both these parties are full of morons.

Also, not every aspect of unionization is positive. You can have problems getting rid of under performing employees, less overall jobs available, excessive union dues and overcompensation for work performed.

I do not think one party is better than the other, no but I only see Republicans trying to cram these Right To Work laws down our throats and now threatening to penalize a company for backing a Union in a RTW state.

I disagree, Unionization is positive and very much needed ... Unions help lessen the wage equality gap, that is currently at its widest where wages are lowest in RTW states. Also, work fatalities are also higher in RTW states. Overcompensation is a matter of opinion and considering again, the wage equality gap I would say the majority of Americans are under compensated, which creates a burden on us all as we then have to subsidize their under compensated income with government programs funded by our taxes. There is a connection between the record number of people that are on welfare and government programs, the working poor being at its highest since the great depression, wages being at an all time low and the decline of labor Unions.

The Union busting legislation these republicans are pushing is creating a decline in organized labor's power and membership and has played a larger role in fostering increased wage inequality and is causing our economy to suffer.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

I like this quote from the comment section of the Article you linked to,

The biggest, most astounding, and most difficult-to-comprehend accomplishment by the right over the last 4 decades has been to get working-class people to distrust, reject and vilify labor unions, the social institution more responsible than any other for the quality of life all working people enjoy today.

Man, ain't that the truth ...

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   

mikell
When the unions were strong and well off so were Americans. Now the unions are weak and so is America.

A thousand stars to you sir!

Anyone who cannot see this has their head stuck in the sand ...

edit on 12-2-2014 by Tazkven because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

Pretty pathetic display of unadulterated hypocrisy if you ask me.

Let me see if I got this right. We have these so called "right-to-work" states where it's illegal for the union to discriminate/penalize against someone for not joining the union, but somehow it's perfectly OK for Republican legislators to discriminate against them for joining a union? Go figure!

But then, I come to expect nothing less from our modern day GOP. You know, the very same party that goes on and on about how they're going to get government out of our lives. Yeah, right!

I don't think I've ever seen a bigger collection of liars and hypocrites.

F&S for the OP!

top topics

join