It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The United States Is the Chief Facilitator of Christian Persecution

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Auricom
reply to post by AfterInfinity

You're confusing majority with prosecutors. You also fail to realize that Christians are also a minority in many non-western countries. I feel your post has more to do with your own bigotry than anything else really.

that's a good point about them being the minority, and in Syria one of the oldest christian groups.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Well except the Pew Research people put together a poll that reported the same thing.

Overall, across the six years of this study, religious groups were harassed in a total of 185 countries at one time or another. Members of the world’s two largest religious groups – Christians and Muslims, who together comprise more than half of the global population – were harassed in the largest number of countries, 151 and 135, respectively.

So, maybe the Pew Research people are engaged in yellow journalism, but they are here reporting that Christians and Muslims are the two most harassed religious groups on the planet which makes sense because there are so many of us.

I would guess that the only reason you don't see more Jews being harassed is because they either all moved into the same country together or there aren't very many of them left in very many places. Once they got pushed out, the locals turned on the next group to pick on.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Auricom

You're confusing majority with prosecutors. You also fail to realize that Christians are also a minority in many non-western countries. I feel your post has more to do with your own bigotry than anything else really.

America is not a non-western country. The concerned post has nothing to do with any bigotry.
edit on 12-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

You should read some of the other responses I've written in this thread. You may not realize it, but by responding to that post you have actually furthered my position on this subject. For instance I brought up how the OP's sources fail to mention that muslim persecution is on the rise. I've been saying throughout the thread that this isn't just a Christian problem and is most likely the natural result of a power vacuum appearing in the countries we destabilized, which brings me full circle to my original point. Correlation does not equal causation.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

But if the point of this thread is that Christian persecution is on the rise, and we are causing instability in the world, specifically in regions where religious persecution has gotten worse, then we are indeed the chief facilitator of Christian persecution.

The thread title is not wrong.
edit on 12-2-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Again. Correlation does not equal causation.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Facilitate means to make something easier or help bring about. It doesn't necessarily imply causation.

In other words, our mucking about causes the instability which brings about or makes the persecution easier (i.e. facilitates).

We aren't causing it, but causing the conditions that make it likely.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Stormdancer777
www.christianpost.com...

According to the recently released 2014 World Watch List, which ranks the 50 nations where Christians are most persecuted, Syria is the third worst nation in the world in which to be Christian, Iraq is fourth, Afghanistan fifth, and Libya 13th. All four countries receive the strongest designation, "extreme persecution"

I actually noticed this myself, once we go into a country, the persecution of Christians begins after we leave.

I am alarmed by the silence, very little is said, is there a concerted effort to wipe out Christianity in the middle east

Was this purposely done by this administration that supported the Arab spring and the brotherhood.

Under Saddam, Qaddafi, and Assad, Christians and their churches were largely protected, did they oust these leaders for this exact reason?

Stormdancer777,

I just feel the need to respond to this topic (as a latecomer, sorry
) because this subject/theme has come up as a point of discussion, even debate, on an almost daily basis in our home for over a decade now...

My husband & I are both dual US/Middle-Eastern country citizens...

We are both of Christian up-bringing & while we are not traditional in some aspects of "religion" -- we are spiritually connected to Jesus Christ in many ways...

My hubby is 100% born Arab & raised Arab. After spending some high school years in England, he decided to study engineering here in the States for university. That is how we first met. The freedoms he experienced here, I'm sure, have created a culture clash, or cognitive dissonance in him, that he is quite aware of...

He has forever been telling me that the US (or whoever else may be involved) has been wrong in taking out the dictators you highlight above. He warned me, ahead of time I might add, that killing &/or overthrowing such dictators would result in a backlash to said nations generally, and Christians specifically...

The thought process is if it isn't totally broken, then don't try to fix it -- the Middle Eastern cultures are thousands of years older than ours, so who are we to completely understand their engrained tribal/regional/religious needs? And act as enforcers, sometimes, haphazardly? For instance, doesn't the US government allow the majority of our Native American tribes to rule as they see fit?

We do worry about our (well literally, his) family abroad as Christians as they make up less than 5% of the country's population. Fortunately, his the family is the largest & has roles in the government & business...for now...only for now...& luckily most have established themselves with escape routes as legals in the UK, US, or Canada...but what about the ones that don't?

S & F for an important thread...Hoping all will remember it & update it if circumstances change...

PS - I haven't mulled through the whole thread yet, but should Mubarak be inserted & Assad be deleted as Assad hasn't been overthrown yet?

edit on 12-2-2014 by BurningSpearess because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by BurningSpearess

Thank you so much for posting, it is so important to hear from you and your knowledge of the situation.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Well, I've only touched on the tip of iceberg, so to speak, with this topic...

I somewhat support your thread assertion but only in the context that it rests among other factors...

For instance, I believe that the "Divide & Conquer" strategy is in full force & leads to cultural, religious, & regional divisions/tensions as a form of fall-out...

As an example, trace the roots of the Muslim Brotherhood (origins)... The founder was funded by the Suez Canal Company - the French & the Brits - why the vested interest? Hmmmm...

On the other hand, I know of a Middle Eastern (Muslim) monarch who would only let Christians cook his food, provide his security, etc.

Quite a confusing part of the world whether you are directly witnessing it or not!?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Freedom of speech makes persecution more viable for many. Christians are not exempt, just as women, Jews, Mexicans, homosexuals, affiliates of political movements and black people are not exempt.

edit on 13-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by BurningSpearess

I agree, the whole situation is confusing.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

ketsuko

Facilitate means to make something easier or help bring about. It doesn't necessarily imply causation.

In other words, our mucking about causes the instability which brings about or makes the persecution easier (i.e. facilitates).

We aren't causing it, but causing the conditions that make it likely.

Agreed,
www.christianpost.com...

The title was taken from the article posted.

And being ignored by the American media,

Afghanistan: The supposedly "moderate" Karzai government installed by the U.S. upholds many of the draconian laws enforced by the Taliban-including the apostasy law, fiercely persecuting those who seek to convert to Christianity-and, in 2011, under U.S. auspices, it destroyed Afghanistan's last Christian church.

Iraq: After the U.S. toppled Saddam Hussein, Christian minorities were savagely attacked and slaughtered, and dozens of their churches were bombed (see here for graphic images). Christians have been terrorized into near-extinction, with well over half of them fleeing Iraq.

Libya: Ever since U.S.-backed, al-Qaeda-linked terrorists overthrew Qaddafi, Christians-including Americans-have indeed suffered extreme persecution. Churches have been bombed; Christians have been tortured and killed (including for refusing to convert); and nuns have been threatened.

I posted this a long time ago and have been following these stories, and see a pattern.

There are a lot of things I have been following but don't want to get slammed on the forum for posting them.

Not a Single Christian Church Left in Afghanistan, Says State Department - See more at: cnsnews.com...

There are no more Churches in Afghanistan
edit on 082828p://bThursday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I love the history of ancient cultures, churches included,

Syrian militants destroy ancient Christian church in Maaloula
times.altervista.org...

The Church in the name of St Sergius and St Bacchus, two Roman warriors put to death for their faith in Christ during the reign of Emperor Maximilian, was built at the beginning of the 4th century. Most recently, its compound was housing a convent but the nuns had to resettle urgently to the Convent of St Thecla, also in Maaloula, about a month ago when militants of the Jabhat at-Nusra terrorist front drove into the town.

Robert Fisk: Syria's ancient treasures pulverised
www.independent.co.uk...

rt.com...

Syria, archaeological disaster zone

­For thousands of years, the territory of modern-day Syria was home to several civilizations – the country has stood at the crossroads of numerous cultures and religions. Syria is home to six UNESCO world heritage sites: The ruins of Palmyra, the citadels of Crac des Chevaliers and Qal’at Salah El-Din, the city of Bosra, its ancient northern villages and the Old Cities of Damascus and Aleppo.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

And what do you suggest be done about it? Force a country that is NOT under our authority to change its laws?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

And what do you suggest be done about it? Force a country that is NOT under our authority to change its laws?

Now that's the 64,000 dollar question.

I guess I will bury my head back in the sand, I was happier there.

edit on 092828p://bThursday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

And what do you suggest be done about it?

Withdrawing ALL support from countries that condone the violent persecution of others, would be a mighty fine place to begin.

What would you suggest? A worldwide effort to eliminate theism?

See ya,
Milt
edit on 709America/Chicago2RAmerica/Chicago2014-02-13T10:01:45-06:00Thursdayu45America/Chicago by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Withdrawing ALL support from countries that condone the violent persecution of others

I don't think that has worked.

The situation is hopeless, they will have to leave those countries, many do.

link   

Ah that would be a great day indeed, I don't care Iam an anti theist, we could do it in a couple of generations not through violence just through education....I think it has started so it will happen.

link   

What would you suggest? A worldwide effort to eliminate theism?

When have I ever suggested that?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join