It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Out of Body Self Awareness Dreams?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Hi everyone,

I had what I would call a self aware out of body dream the other day and was curious to see if some of the minds who are more well read on the topic of lucid dreaming could share some information and help me make sense of what's going on, if this is a weird occurence or totally normal.

I was napping the other day, home by myself. After falling asleep, I "woke up" and sat on the edge of my bed. I was fully aware that I was still asleep and turned to look at my sleeping body lying face down on the bed where I had left it. When I fell asleep I was on the far right side of the bed, so upon waking in my dream and sitting up, I was sitting on top of my sleeping body. I suppose sitting on top isn't exactly correct. It was more like sitting through my body as if it were a hologram or not really there.

Without realizing, and after studying myself for what seemed like some time, i was once again back to sleeping the black dreamless sleep i usually get while exhausted but this time i was still fully aware that i was asleep. I was lying there, fully aware of my body position on the bed and aware of the noises around me but dead asleep. I kept trying to wake up by opening my eyes and getting up, but felt totally paralyzed and unable to move. Never had such an experience while dreaming, they usually make no sense and skip all over leaving me with fragments and cloudy remembrance upon waking. Both the "out of body" part and subsequent sleep paralysis occurred during the same hour long nap.

This all left me kind of unsettled upon waking as I've never experienced anything remotely like this before. In the week that's passed I've had one other strange dreaming experience but comparatively isn't as weird as this so ill just stop here. Is this a common occurence? The little knowledge I have on the subject of lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis was gleaned through a quick google search after relaying the story to my wife so I am hoping there are some with greater knowledge of these types of dreaming experiences out there in ATS land.

Regards,

KG

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Sounds like an unconscious astral projection. You might want to check out the book Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce to learn how to consciously wield the ability.

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I had similar thing once as a small child. Can still vividly remember looking from the ceiling corner at myself sat on my bed and what teddybear I was holding. I didn't think anything of it at the time and only realised it was weird when I got older.
I do doubt and question my memories because I must of only been about five but it is such a vivid memory.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

therealguyfawkes
Sounds like an unconscious astral projection. You might want to check out the book Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce to learn how to consciously wield the ability.

Cheers.

Will definitely check that out thanks! I am totally unfamiliar with anything like this, I usually stick to the current eventsy type forums as that's where my interest lies but this dream kept gnawing at me.

I guess ill get started with that book, thanks again.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

LadyTrick
I had similar thing once as a small child. Can still vividly remember looking from the ceiling corner at myself sat on my bed and what teddybear I was holding. I didn't think anything of it at the time and only realised it was weird when I got older.
I do doubt and question my memories because I must of only been about five but it is such a vivid memory.

I don't doubt your recollection, there are certain things from my childhood I can remember clear as day even though they happened 20 some odd years ago.

Mine happened last week and I've been thinking about it a lot since, as an adult I found it pretty creepy lol.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Aren't most dreams sort of out of body experiences? I don't get it, how could a person tell the difference?

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

rickymouse
Aren't most dreams sort of out of body experiences? I don't get it, how could a person tell the difference?

Yeah definitely, if you think of it as the setting of your dream taking place outside of the physical place where you are sleeping. Your mind is somewhere your body is not, so I get what you're saying.

What I'm talking about is "waking" from where you fell asleep and getting up but seeing your body still lying in the place and position where it was when you fell asleep, as if youre able to watch yourself sleeping. I put quotes around waking because obviously I was still asleep and dreaming. Kinda like people who are pronounced dead and are brought back with the paddles who claim they could see their physical body lying on a hospital bed with doctors working on them while they were "dead." A disconnectedness but awareness of your physical body being somewhere other than where you are perceiving it from.

I dunno if that makes any sense to you at all and if not I apologize, im not really into the "astral plane" or dream weaver type stuff. I'm just trying to explain an unsettling dream and see if anyone who does have a background in studying this type of thing has any opinion or knowledge they want to share.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
www.monroeinstitute.org...

Really interesting read here

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I have had this happen to me twice. You definitely know you are out of body and it's not real. The first time it happened to me was about 5 years ago. I thought I had woke up, but I was on a train. I knew this train was traveling through the countryside in Europe. I have done this before and I recognized the type train. Everything was in black and white and kind of silvery. I sat there wondering what was going on. I was sitting with my back facing the front. I could see what was going by, trees, farms, fields, and I could see where I had just been. I couldn't see what was coming ahead though. I thought this was strange that when I turned my head to the right to look ahead, it was too dark to see. Then I woke up.

The second time was 4 months ago and really strange. I thought I had woken up and I was laying in bed. It wasn't my bedroom and everything was again black, white and silvery. It was pretty dim in the room but when I looked down next to me there was a naked woman. I didn't recognize her and something said I need to wake up and then I stopped. I thought I wonder if I touched her if I could feel her. I reached out and grabbed her breast and I felt it and it felt real and it scared the # out of me and I woke up. I have tried to do it again because I want to see if I could wake her up and have a conversation, but I haven't been able to. I wish I could control it.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

LadyTrick
www.monroeinstitute.org...

Really interesting read here

Thanks for the link, awesome stuff there. I'm in class but definitely plan on checking it out thoroughly later.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by rjbaggins

Sounds similar, but slightly different than my experience. I "woke up" in my bedroom right where I had fallen asleep, and my room was exactly how it would have been had I actually been awake. Aside from being able to look at my still sleeping body in the third person of course lol.

Thanks for sharing, this along with the link and book suggestion from other posters is definitely stimulating an interest for some research into this topic.

top topics

join