It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 years in prison for posting protest photos!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
This is an attention grabber, and there are some stories which make me both proud and glad to live in the US of A. We don't go to prison here for merely discussing or even taking part in protest .. that cannot be said everywhere, unfortunately.

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) — A Saudi court has convicted a man of seeking to destabilize security and create chaos in the kingdom and sentenced him to 10 years in prison.

So what horrible thing did the guy do to "destabilize security" and "create chaos"?

The court says the man violated an article of Saudi law related to Internet crimes and incited chaos by disseminating photos of the demonstrations online.
Source

I'm sure all those in the Kingdom sleep better tonight, knowing this dangerous hooligan is behind bars for a decade. (/sarcasm)

What a world sometimes, eh?

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This is an attention grabber, and there are some stories which make me both proud and glad to live in the US of A. We don't go to prison here for merely discussing or even taking part in protest .. that cannot be said everywhere, unfortunately.

If we let the government keep whittling away at our Constitutional rights, you will not be able to say this honestly one day... maybe soon.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Your pride and gladness is rewarding I'm sure. Setting the bar at Saudi Arabia is making it damn easy to generate that perception of merit.

Man faces 13 years for writing anti-bank slogans in chalk on the sidewalk.

I can add that the jury threw the case out of court. The thing to remember is that money grossly distorts the rule of law. Some would say it's a caricature of itself, which endangers all citizens.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I wish I could debate you on that...but I actually paused when I wrote that paragraph, checking my mental files to insure it was still true without some contradictory example out there to show otherwise.

Scary..that we even have to think that way, isn't it?

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

Some people's dislike for my nation is well known...and oft repeated. My pride in my nation (Government not withstanding) may be a point of ..annoyance..to some, but that's a problem for others to deal with, frankly. It's something I'll never apologize for. Period.

Indeed... Occupy did see some people go to jail. Having been a part of it, I'm very aware of what happened during the 2011/12 protest season..

If you'd noticed I was careful in how I worded it, for precisely that reason. "Merely for protest"....has not seen anyone doing time in the United States, yet. Destruction of property (however cheesy the charge was) isn't merely protest, as Saudi Arabia just canned this guy for. Very different things...but thanks for the different take on events. All opinions are valuable, as always!

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Totally agree on your point about how fortunate some of us in other countries are.

Also agree with the fact that our "rights" seem to slowly be eroding away ( in the US )

But let's face it. A law is a law is a law. No doubt that the protestor/poster knew in advance the laws of his country, and chose to break those laws.

My guess is, given how these countries work, his story is being publicized to prevent others from doing the same.

Thus, creating a strategy to limit further a potential status quo/power structure upheaval as in other countries in the region.

I would go so far to say if he renounces his action publicly, and "campaigns" for the present PTB, he will serve a much reduced sentence.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by watchesfromwall

You have a point. He probably could get that worked around with his own actions under their system.

I guess this story hits a little close because I'd come to be pretty good friends with a lady here on ATS that has since returned to her home country. She was very much behind and supportive of the protests there and interested in engaging to the extent she could. I came to think very well of her and she'd spent a good deal of her time teaching me about Shia Islam as I shared my own Faith with her. A mutually beneficial friendship.

Her home nation is Bahrain...which is very much under Saudi influence if not outright control. They were Saudi tanks that rolled over the bridge some time back when protesting there got a bit out of hand. Simply posting some photos of protests would be like the girl I came to know tho...and so, it is worrisome by how easily one can end up in prison over there and in other places around the world.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

The days of the Saudi sand castle are numbered...You and I both do not know how or when but it is a fact jack when you have despots in power the pressure builds and "Chop" off with their heads.. Lucky for them they have their version of the religion of peace as part of their enforcement apparatus and gobs of money or they would have already fallen.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Yes, and I am confident that she will abide by set norms/laws in her home country even if her heart is in a different place.

Hopefully she has trusted friends and family she can talk to (like you have been for her) without being worried about them.

Snitches, are unfortunately prevalent in such countries as well.
Money will make someone stab in you in the back quickly.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Isn't it nice America backs this government and overlooks the human rights violations they constantly commit? Oil and money if you have that America will back you no matter what.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

buster2010
Isn't it nice America backs this government and overlooks the human rights violations they constantly commit? Oil and money if you have that America will back you no matter what.

Yep..It is not right that The U.S.has this kind of policy with Saudi Arabia.They are just as bad as a lot of the other Islamic nations with how thy treat people.

new topics

top topics

join