It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan militants prepare for war in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Well now this isn't good to hear. It seems, as if to punctuate the point others have made, Afghanistan is doomed to continue in war after we leave, just as it had for decades before we arrived. They're staging and waiting, according to this. Waiting patiently for the US and NATO to leave, so they have a free field to fight on again. Will it never end for those folks? (sigh)

ISLAMABAD (AP) — Militants in Pakistan's most populous province are said to be training for what they expect will be an ethnic-based civil war in neighboring Afghanistan after foreign forces withdraw in 16 months, according to analysts and a senior militant.

In the past two years the number of Punjab-based militants deploying to regions bordering on Afghanistan has tripled and is now in the thousands, says analyst Mansur Mehsud. He runs the FATA Institute, an Islamabad-based think tank studying the mix of militant groups that operate in Pakistan's tribal belt running along much of the 2,600-kilometer (1,600-mile) Afghan-Pakistan border.

It's worth reading the source story on this one, as it's a complex and lengthy one. I can't quote enough and stay decent to give the full range of the issues involved. This bit may help a little more, but please do visit the AP page for the full story if it's of interest.

"Even if a settlement occurs in Afghanistan there are still a lot who will continue to fight and those who are most likely to resist a settlement are Pakistani militants," Hussain said. He said that during a recent trip he made to North Waziristan, local tribesmen spoke of the influx of Punjab-based militants into their area. Foreign journalists are not allowed in the tribal regions.
Source

What this boils down to is the massing of fighters in Waziristan to carry on the civil war already in progress in 2001 before the September attacks came. Personally, I think this ought to raise our motivation for making this a quick exit, since engaging to accomplish something meaningful seems to have been discarded as a strategy a good long time ago.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Interesting find.

Doesn't surprise me though. Pakistan has had it's hands in Afghanistan going back Decades. The ISI has funded and trained so many groups/individuals I've lost count. It'd make ones heads spin.

Side Note: Afghanistan has practically been in a state of Continuous war going back centuries. If they weren't fighting off foreign outside invaders they were fighting among themselves based on Religion, Regional or between the various tribal Chieftains...

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
More proof that all we did was step into a civil war that has gone on for hundreds of years and won't ever stop.

Like Iraq the U.S. squandered the lives' of hundreds of 20 year olds knowing full well it was just like Vietnam which Iraq is proving as I post.

We are not fighting for a country that is loyal to its people anymore, we fight for a country that once was.

Sorry Wrabbit, did not mean to get off topic.
edit on 11-2-2014 by Battleline because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The Afghans are barely a nation in the modern sense. Bunch of tribes that somewhat unite is about as good as it gets there.

We have given away far too much in blood to try and make a country into something it's not. Better off to have just let the special ops overthrow the Taliban and then have just left after we destroyed AQ strongholds there. Tora Bora should have been the last operation of the war.

If the Afghans won't fight hard enough to hold their country, then they don't deserve to be a country. At least not one we support with our own blood and money.

Let the Afghans sort this out...... with the cavet of if you let AQ back,will just roll in and destroy them again. No more, if you break it, you have to fix it up. Next time there is no reconstruction or occupying, just level and move on.......

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
These nations in and around the ME were ruled with an iron fist for a reason..
edit on 11-2-2014 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

pavil
The Afghans are barely a nation in the modern sense. Bunch of tribes that somewhat unite is about as good as it gets there.

We have given away far too much in blood to try and make a country into something it's not. Better off to have just let the special ops overthrow the Taliban and then have just left after we destroyed AQ strongholds there. Tora Bora should have been the last operation of the war.

If the Afghans won't fight hard enough to hold their country, then they don't deserve to be a country. At least not one we support with our own blood and money.

Let the Afghans sort this out...... with the cavet of if you let AQ back,will just roll in and destroy them again. No more, if you break it, you have to fix it up. Next time there is no reconstruction or occupying, just level and move on.......

Oh yes we should send in our military to kill people that did nothing to America. You sound just like the terrorist that you claim to be fighting. If you don't do what we want we will kill you. No surprise you support the terrorist actions that America has committed over there.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Give it a rest Buster...... You are becoming more irrelevant every day, with every post on this site. AQ and Radical Islamic Fundamentalism are just figments of our imaginations. Add something to a debate for a change.

What is your take on what will happen in Afghanistan then?

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by all2human

I gave you a star but I don't thing we are thinking about the same reasons...

Now regional conflict exists everywhere, there is nothing that makes humans in the ME much different from the rest beyond culture, and so that is the problem the same goes to other areas like Africa but we must recognize that those regions are culturally deprived (or even managed) to serve the interests of others more than to serve their own interests... Look on the Sudan issue as another example...

edit on 11-2-2014 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join