It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maryland bill would cut water, electricity to NSA headquarters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   

A group of legislators in Maryland has introduced legislation that would deny state support to federal agencies engaged in warrantless electronic surveillance in a move aimed at curtailing the National Security Agency's power to monitor and track citizens.

Maryland bill would cut water, electricity to NSA headquarters

Ok, first off this is Fox News so take it how you will.

Now this is hilarious. The state legislature in Maryland is taking up a bill to turn the power off at the NSA headquarters. So basically if you can't shut them down with legislation, you shut them down literally. Turn off the juice. As funny as this reads, it is also ingenious.

The bill would deprive NSA's headquarters in Ft. Meade, Md., water and electricity carried over public utilities, prohibit the use of evidence gathered by the agency in state courts and prevent state universities from partnering with the NSA on research, according to the report.

When the big guns have all traditional avenues of fighting the system locked down, you have to go untraditional. This is clearly untraditional and there isn't much the NSA can do with their giant forest of server farms when they have no electricity to power any of them.

Granted, I don't think this bill will pass, but it is nice to see that states are trying. I live in Maryland and will try to give my support to this bill.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
In the OP I mentioned Fox news and suggested that they may not be credible with the story, so I hunted down some additional sources.

From the Tenth Amendment Center (The people pushing this legislation):
New Maryland legislation targets water, electricity to NSA HQ

Examiner:
Obama's NSA under fire from Maryland and other states

Well that ups my opinion on the legitimacy of this bill. I still don't think it will pass, but man is it awesome.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Writing bills is easy. Here we have a politician that is obviously pandering to his constituents and giving them all a reason to vote for him again, because he is on their side.

It won't go anywhere at all.
edit on 11-2-2014 by Mamatus because: Gwammer and speeeeling

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Even if they cut the power and water, I am sure NSA has a backup plan....at least for the power part. Though it would be expensive, they most likely have numerous generators which can run the systems as long as they have the gas to power them.

As for the water....not sure how they would overcome that part.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Oh I have no doubt that this bill won't pass. I just thought I'd highlight it to show that some politicians ARE listening to their base.

new topics

top topics

join