It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The FAKE western Propaganda on Sochi

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
This is an American site so maybe there would be more protest if the comments were aimed at the US. But expose type news stories and online comments Were made about America in other countries.
Russia isn't being treated any differently.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

WilsonWilson
This is an American site so maybe there would be more protest if the comments were aimed at the US. But expose type news stories and online comments Were made about America in other countries.
Russia isn't being treated any differently.

The last I heard this site was run by a Brit living in the USA and was an international site?

Maybe I am wrong?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I'm not talking about the ownership, I'm talking about the users. I would say the majority are Americans but I could be wrong.
However I'm strangly pleased the site is owned by a brit.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
There has been a lot of news of unpaid sochi workers, accused as thieves and beated by police. Yesterday on our news channel there were also such a case and only way out of torture was to agree not to blaim unpaid salary. So it seems that contractors of olympics have police in their pocket and doing dirty work for them.

So if they were not paid in multiple months you can´t expect them to do superb job either.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

WilsonWilson
reply to post by Rodinus

I'm not talking about the ownership, I'm talking about the users. I would say the majority are Americans but I could be wrong.
However I'm strangly pleased the site is owned by a brit.

Still... just because a majority of users are from the United States, this does not make ATS an American site...

WE here on ATS are international and are supposed to be one big international family... NOT the USA against the rest of the world... or visa versa...

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 11/2/14 by Rodinus because: Phrase changed

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Rodinus, you're French? Bro, you're not helping the uptight French stereotypes any. You really need to chill out. The claim is that a vast percentage of the hotels/rooms are finished & without any issues. That's not all that unlikely, but like with any rush job in a corrupt area, corners having been cut in the building process is going to leave some oversights like we've been hearing about (unfinished buildings/rooms/broken this/that/the other, etc) The fact that it's an Olympic host floundering even a small percentage is dirt on their face already. We're allowed to make fun of them for it. The same could be said if this was hosted in the US, I'd make fun of my own country for it all the same. If you screw up somewhere hosting an international coming together like the OLYMPICS, you're going to get lampooned for it, it's the nature of humans in general. End of discussion.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Nope...

Brit but been in France for over 20 years now

And yep... Just a claim from gutter journalists... Not heard anything from the athletes yet?

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 11/2/14 by Rodinus because: Word added

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

But I suppose it is better to keep my gob shut here on ATS as apparently the majority of people here disagree with the fact that we should show a certain amount of respect and tolerance to other countries outside of our boundries

Don't worry Rodinus, I think it's safe to say that the majority of members on ATS actually do see the ridiculousness of all this Sochi crap as just that... petty childish crap.

Most of us just choose to keep ourselves distanced from the verbal vomit in these threads because, quite frankly, it's a waste of energy (as you can see by the type of responses you've been getting). And that's why we just don't bother fighting and arguing about this garbage.

We choose to, instead, just enjoy the Olympic games for what they are: A fun competition between international world class athletes that have worked hard their entire lives through blood, sweat, and tears to make it to the Olympics. It's all about the spirit of the competition, and these athletes would still be honoured to be participants in this worldly event... even if it meant that they had to sleep in cardboard boxes to do it.

The rest is just petty hubris.

You're a caring, feeling humanitarian... and I tip my hat to you for attempting to spread that mindset to others.

Sadly, it seems to be falling on deaf ears.

Some people just don't get it, and never will.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

The OP is more propaganda than anything. Notice they dont name one single source where they got these pics from? And notice that there is hardly ANY mention of the VERY real pics that have been sent out from sochi?

Nice try. Obvious propaganda is obvious.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Well, in all fairness, to the other side, and you know how I feel about this issue, I do wonder if we wouldn't hear anything from the actual athlete's themselves, until they get back to their home countries?

If they do come back, and don't have much to say about these issues, then we will know the truth about the journalists, right?

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

chiefsmom
reply to post by Rodinus

Well, in all fairness, to the other side, and you know how I feel about this issue, I do wonder if we wouldn't hear anything from the actual athlete's themselves, until they get back to their home countries?

If they do come back, and don't have much to say about these issues, then we will know the truth about the journalists, right?
get on twitter and follow some of the athletes.

thats all im saying.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The source would be: Just watch any American news media and listen to the petty crap that they report on to try and make Russia seem like the worst 3rd-world country. I was flipping through news channels the other day(needed my daily laugh) and stopped at CNN's 'New Day'. Those are some of the biggest idiots I have ever witnessed. They were talking crap, thinking that they're funny or clever. They kept mentioning how "barbaric" or "behind the times" Russia's policy on homosexuals is. If you want to see concerted propaganda in action, then just watch CNN, FOX NEWS, MSNBC. Anyone who is considered "anti-gay" or "anti-Semitic" will get the good ol' US news media treatment and drug through the mud over and over again. That's how they work to silence the opposition, but, as it seems, the internet has completely made all of them a laughing stock.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Fylgje
The source would be: Just watch any American news media and listen to the petty crap that they report on to try and make Russia seem like the worst 3rd-world country. I was flipping through news channels the other day(needed my daily laugh) and stopped at CNN's 'New Day'. Those are some of the biggest idiots I have ever witnessed. They were talking crap, thinking that they're funny or clever. They kept mentioning how "barbaric" or "behind the times" Russia's policy on homosexuals is. If you want to see concerted propaganda in action, then just watch CNN, FOX NEWS, MSNBC. Anyone who is considered "anti-gay" or "anti-Semitic" will get the good ol' US news media treatment and drug through the mud over and over again. That's how they work to silence the opposition, but, as it seems, the internet has completely made all of them a laughing stock.
You might want to do a little more research. There are plenty of factual accounts of the poor conditions there.

It is a FACT that the conditions there are very poor, backed up with a ton of photo and eyewitness testimony.
edit on 11-2-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

dollukka
There has been a lot of news of unpaid sochi workers, accused as thieves and beated by police. Yesterday on our news channel there were also such a case and only way out of torture was to agree not to blaim unpaid salary. So it seems that contractors of olympics have police in their pocket and doing dirty work for them.

So if they were not paid in multiple months you can´t expect them to do superb job either.

As unpopular as this may be I personally believe the whole Olympic Game thing needs to be re-thought. States/cities, time after time has spent billions on preparation for the games..When the Games are finished at the location everything starts to deteriorate and the constructed purpose of the buildings/venues are never used again unless on a very limited scale.

There are always rumors of ill deeds and corruption either before or after the games (usually both) so IMO would it not be better to have them where the infrastructure for a given venue already exist; surely billions of dollars could be saved every time the Olympics are held.

The purpose of the games IMO to bring together the world athletes in a setting of friendly competition and to showcase the host countries hospitality; once a noble cause .... Now the Games have turned into a security nightmare for visitors and competitors alike and the once noble cause has deteriorated into a money grab and kick back scram if many of the stories one reads are even half true.

If I were running the process I would pick two places for the winter games (primary and standby) and two for the summer games;... All competitors would be furnished transportation to and from.. everyone else pays there own way...

In Greece, long ago, whoever wanted to participate in the well oiled games came and went on their own sponsored dime..

Governments who did not want to participate in my plan could stay home and complain all they wanted to. I would make it a money making proposition by charging a Value Added Tax of some nominal amount which at the end of the games would be shared by all participants... Either that or I would just say I don't want to play any more and stay home... Not popular in some/many circles I am sure but the fraud and waste is truly staggering IMO...50 billion dollars for a couple of weeks of show and tell is asinine to me so I would say the whole process needs to be reevaluated from bottom to top....

P.S. this is just off the top of my head and I could be totally wrong (hate it when that happens)... I really do not know when my attitude about the games changed.... but my feelings on the matter, to a very large extent, changed because I do not feel the purpose of the game is #1 anymore but secondary to the money, prestige, and graft. Maybe not as bad as the above sounds but bad enough to consider all the considerations of the games IMO..

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Don't twitter, couldn't pay me enough to twitter.

But, if they are posting bad things, I would be inclined to believe them more than any journalist. No use for most of those stinkers.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Like others have said though, the media stir up stories for all of the olympic games
- Greece, the buildings would not be ready
- London, the riots only weeks before the games and the travelling infrastructure wouldn't cope. Being from the UK our papers had a field day prior to the London Olympics.

So the corruption and some half built hotels is par for the course.
We have already started with the bad news stories from Brazil world cup.

It is only the anti gay issue in Russia that is different

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The pic of the half toilet.
I first sore it in ATS post a funny pic, the old one!
so its very old.
they are just out to bash ussr.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I've been to many cities in the US and had the same experiences at hotels/motels. The nice ones!! Some of the places I had to stay looked like 3rd-world countries. It would be so easy to show the US in the same light. So easy. I'll say it again; It's a concerted effort to embarrass Russia, when we should be supporting each other. But one snake is as snaky as the other(our governments).

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
If you want to witness real propaganda at work and how it looks check out the Sochi coverage from two different sources. If you live close the American/Canadian border or get television from both nations...Tune in and watch the coverage of the same live event from the two.

If the pictures weren't the same, you wouldn't know they were covering the same thing.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Leonidas

what happened to bob costas eye? more propaganda?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join