It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Basic Pack to Build On... Take a Look and Comment

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

LifeStraw

Bacteria removed include:
Escherichia coli,
Campylobacter,
Vibrio cholerae,
Pseudomonas aeruginosa,
Shigella
Salmonella
Protozoa removed include:
Giardia lamblia ("Beaver Fever")
Cryptosporidium Parvum
Entamoeba histolytica.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Filters up to 1,000 liters (264 gallons) of water
Removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction), including E-Coli
Removes 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites (>LOG 3 reduction), including Giardia & Cryptosporidium
Reduces turbidity, filtering down to 0.2 microns
Ultralight: weighs only 2oz!
Does NOT use iodine or iodinized resin
Contains no chemicals (and is BPA-free), uses no batteries, has no moving parts
Very high flow rate; no after taste (because no iodine or chlorine are used)
Easy to clean. Can be stored and used periodically. Just keep uncapped so it can dry thoroughly.
Very durable
No shelf life. LifeStraw can be stored indefinitely. (Former shelf life estimates have been revised.)
Used worldwide in harsh conditions since 2005
Award winning & internationally recognized

and at right around $20 you could easily carry, 'keep on hand' a half dozen or so 'extras'. ????

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

the bigger 'concern' for me, on the filtrtation sytems,being the water source.

their 'capacity','durations' are typically based on 'otherwise potable water sources' as opposed to a rather muddy stream ..... which would have to lessen their effectiveness if not 'life expectancy' as well.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Another great thread.......As others mentioned a tarp and multi-tool and of course duct tape. I have found Gorilla brand duct tape is by far the best and is twice as strong as anything else I have used.

Packs are very personal just like this OP said in the intro and everyone has different needs and wants. It does not make it wrong or right and it let's us all get a window that might open new ideas to all of us. Over the years I have upgraded to very expensive packs but I still love my cheap 40 year old alice pack. It gets the job done.......Period.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

That's where a good old bandanna comes in, or a t-shirt in a pinch. Pre-filtering your filtered water can stretch the effectiveness of your purification device!

And don't forget, it only takes ONE drop of contaminated water to get your sick. Keeping things that have been wet in contaminated water separate from stuff you want to put up to your mouth is also very important.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Coffee filters, they're cheap and not just for filtering coffee!!

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

EyesOpenMouthShut

I wish I had more then 1 star to give this post this is a great........excellent idea. This is why I love the survival board on ATS because you get awesome tips and ideas.

Many uses a coffee filter could have. I use a katadyne pocket but I will add coffee filters into my kit. Thank you and if you have any other out of the box ideas please share them.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

EyesOpenMouthShut

Excellent Point about coffee filters.

I use them in conjunction with a wide-mouthed funnel to re-purpose motor oil as well.

thousands of other uses, i'm sure. !!

edit on 2/11/2014 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
If you get in a pinch and if you have some in your medkit. 5-10 drops of iodine to 1 liter of water will sanitize it enough to drink safely

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

EyesOpenMouthShut
If you get in a pinch and if you have some in your medkit. 5-10 drops of iodine to 1 liter of water will sanitize it enough to drink safely

8 drops of unscented, regular 'store bought' laundry bleach will do the same Per Gallon !

[ETA]

we always just used about a near capfull to a five gallon bucket ..... worked well.

edit on 2/11/2014 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

i don't think i could stomach that much bleach. maybe 3 drops per gallon and thats pushing it

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

semperfortis

The one, the only, the best and the one everyone should have is this
Sawyer
No decent survival kit should be without one..

That's what I was looking for!! Thanks for the follow-up link!

None of my chingoos have been able to make a personal recommendation. This thread is now worth its weight in gold.

ETA: Thanks for stopping the .gif action. So much better reading the thread now.
edit on 1122014 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

EyesOpenMouthShut

Probably a good idea as a personal decontaminant for radiation too. Couldn't hurt.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
104 fucushimas up wind...

that said...great thread

I keep a couple books in my bag...med, plant ident and use,...
also being a boater type ...charts

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

I have ZERO experience with "Charts".. Question...

Can they be used for land nav like Maps?

I have the worst time getting mil grade topo maps of a lot of areas...

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

The charts of my area can be used for land navigation ( I'm in the thirty thousand Islands ) they have topo on them but they don't go too far inland..
1 in 40,000
which is where the topos come in 1 in 5o,ooo

even a good road map would prolly be a good add to the pack

for longer trips or (re)building pyramids
check this out

The ancient secrets of navigation are rediscovered.

www.crichtonmiller.com...

edit on 12-2-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
If that were my backpack and it's all I had with me, I would add:

- a small lightweight camping axe

- a mini first aid kit (soap, tweezers, nail clippers, thread, needles, iodine, alum, bandages, compact mirror, bandana, etc) - all of these things can have many other uses

- 2-3 rain ponchos and/or lightweight tarp

- tea bags in a ziploc baggie (not just a tasty drink, they can also be used as cold compresses to relieve burns/rashes and a gazillion other first aid uses - steeped tea is also a great meat tenderizer !)

- salt in a ziploc baggie (used to cure extra meat/fish in a pinch if you can't smoke/cook it right away, as well as a ton of other first aid/cleaning/cooking uses)

- tie wraps and cotton string in a ziploc baggie (a million and one uses)

- small sheets of aluminum foil neatly folded up in a ziploc baggie (with a few extra ziploc baggies) - multi purpose uses

- water canteen of some sort

- a small bottle of Muskol bug repellent oil - the oil form goes a long long way, you only use a tiny bit

- swiss army multi-knife/tool

- a string saw

- portable lightweight hand-crank radio/flashlight

- a pair of good quality deerskin gloves (super hardy and last forever)

- several pocket-sized kleenex tissue packets in a ziploc baggie (no need for bulky rolls of TP)

- a bunch of handi-wipe packets (the kind you get at fast food restaurants - they save your use of water in a pinch)

- some hard candies

- a clean change of clothes is an absolute must (especially socks)

- Did I mention ziploc baggies ?

... And just for fun to keep your sanity going strong while you're surviving alone in the woods: A deck of Survival Playing Cards (instructions on how to play solitaire 6000 different ways not included)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Playing cards and tea bags.......I love it keep it coming guys and gals. I smart man learns from himself a wise man learns from others. I would love to be a wise man someday. It might take awhile.

I also wanted to mention Eberlestock backpacks if you have never heard of them check it out. You can carry not just your gear but another long gun in them comfortably. The military use these all the time especially snipers. And I can tell you from experience I own a few them they make great kit.
edit on 12-2-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

A really great water filter I use is the Katadyne pocket. I have used and broken many a filter MSR or sweetwater filters are not made for long term use. The pocket is not plastic it is metal and has a great filter then can easily be cleaned and replaced.

Nothing I have seen or used is better. They are pricy but what do you value your clean water at.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

SubTruth
reply to post by Snarl

A really great water filter I use is the Katadyne pocket. I have used and broken many filters, MSR or sweetwater filters are not made for long term use. The pocket is not plastic it is metal and has a great filter then can easily be cleaned and replaced.

Nothing I have seen or used is better. They are pricy but what do you value your clean water at.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I've always liked the idea of a chainsaw chain with handles on both ends, for a 'survival saw'.... felling wood for fire, structure, etc.

takes a little 'elbow grease' and effort, but it seems it would greeatly increase the diameter branches, trunks, etc that you could 'target' for use.

???

link

???

[ETA]

've a few old chains around, and might just put one together to show how "I" would do it ..... as i've yet to see a setup similar to what makes sense for, to "me"

???
edit on 2/12/2014 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join