It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Basic Pack to Build On... Take a Look and Comment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I took a friend and put him in the "Hot Seat" so to speak. He drives all over the country in all kinds of weather and survival is something always on his mind.

I surprised him by asking to film him explaining what he carries in his survival kit.

In his defense, much of what he carries remains in his 4X4 truck....

Still this is a good exercise for all of us. Identify what he has and what you would add to the pack or what would you take from it and why...

Let's remember a couple of things

1. Survival packs are very personal and what "Brands" he carries, you may not. This does not make it wrong, just different.

2. Being personal we all have different specific needs. Steve is a medical professional and thinks like one.

3. My hands were shaking a little, I guess I drank too much coffee.. Please forgive me for that and enjoy the video..

Semper

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Pretty sound pack.
I didn't see a tarp,rain poncho or a big garbage bag.

The rain poncho and garbage bag aren't that needed but the tarp is the essential that i didn't see.
Its an easy shelter.
Also,I wouldn't carry that little shovel,I would just use a stick.

You are right though...every pack is a personal choice and to each their own.

Good video.

edit on 11-2-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I would never leave home without a tarp personally as well

Steve is a friend so I made sure he assured me the tarp and small tent was in his truck!!!

Can't have a friend being a statistic..

Good catch

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Nice kit he has. The only things I see he doesn't have are the following:

1. Multi-Tool (Cannot say how many times my gerber has saved my butt)
  2. Signal Mirror
  3. Tarp or Poncho
  4. Duct Tape
  5. Med Kit (I know you said he is a medical professional but still didn't see one)
  6. Sunglasses

Grim

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

I have only a very basic knowledge of this survival stuff but I think I would keep the lighter, rope, self-setting fishing lure, space blankets, and life straw. I would lose everything else, and replace with better stuff.

I think he should get a big shovel head for digging fox holes to sleep in, a fire piston for always having easy fire, water proof-air tight containers for storage, and he should have lots and lots of vitamins.

Since you're all into bug-out survival, do you know of any definitive lists of best stuff to have? Someone has to have created a scientifically proven best set of stuff, by now, haven't they?

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
He should have packed at the least a poncho.

Maybe talk to him about adding a water storage device, like a canteen.

his choice of big knife was nice. Has e ever tried a good tomahawk for heavier chop duties?

First Aid! i didn't see so much as an antiseptic in there, we all know how fast the most superficial woulds can get infected
once you're away from civilization.

all in all, its a good loadout. maybe a few 100ft more 550 cord.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Bleeeeep

I have only a very basic knowledge of this survival stuff but I think I would keep the lighter, rope, self-setting fishing lure, space blankets, and life straw. I would lose everything else, and replace with better stuff.

I think he should get a big shovel head for digging fox holes to sleep in, a fire piston for always having easy fire, water proof-air tight containers for storage, and he should have lots and lots of vitamins.

Since you're all into bug-out survival, do you know of any definitive lists of best stuff to have? Someone has to have created a scientifically proven best set of stuff, by now, haven't they?
Bleeeeeeep, its not really about the "best" stuff, it's about what works. google survival 5 C's

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

First of all, let me say that's a great video. Everyone should empty out their bag from time-to-time and 'think it through' just like you guys were doing, because there really is no perfect packing list.

I liked his cookware, especially the collapsible bowls. You might recommend he add some salt and pepper packets and a small squeeze bottle of cooking oil. Might wanna stuff it full of simple pleasures to keep it from rattling.

A couple of silver trade coins never hurt. I like 50¢ pieces.

I think I'd toss that compass. It's expensive and its utility is questionable without an appropriate map and a protractor. I laughed like you did when the garden shovel came out.

The last thing I'll mention is a bar of soap. Dove floats.

Please post your recommended substitute for his Life Straw.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesOpenMouthShut

So it's just about the imagination and creativity? No drone armies with tank command centers allowed?

What is the actually limit of the survival "game"? Is there anything considered cheating or unsportsmanlike?

There has to be a best. A spaceship maybe? Would it be considered unsportsmanlike to suggest a spacecraft or something ultimate like that?

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Snarl

First of all, let me say that's a great video. Everyone should empty out their bag from time-to-time and 'think it through' just like you guys were doing, because there really is no perfect packing list.

I liked his cookware, especially the collapsible bowls. You might recommend he add some salt and pepper packets and a small squeeze bottle of cooking oil. Might wanna stuff it full of simple pleasures to keep it from rattling.

A couple of silver trade coins never hurt. I like 50¢ pieces.

I think I'd toss that compass. It's expensive and its utility is questionable without an appropriate map and a protractor. I laughed like you did when the garden shovel came out.

The last thing I'll mention is a bar of soap. Dove floats.

Please post your recommended substitute for his Life Straw.
A compass i very useful if you know how to properly use one. the garden shovel was funny but still has a use. personally i opted for an E-tool. Life straw is pretty handy but i still keep my boiling container and coffee filters

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Bleeeeep

So it's just about the imagination and creativity? No drone armies with tank command centers allowed?

What is the actually limit of the survival "game"? Is there anything considered cheating or unsportsmanlike?

There has to be a best. A spaceship maybe? Would it be considered unsportsmanlike to suggest a spacecraft or something ultimate like that?
there are NO rules in a survival situation. Pack what you can carry

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Only what you can carry? Is that the rules? Sorry if I slightly spoil the fun but my mind is very methodical, so I cannot help but believe that there must be a best -- there has to be.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

on a pack, yeah. carry what you can. Also nobody said you cant have a prestocked location with all sorts of awesomeness cached

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

Someone has to have created a scientifically proven best set of stuff, by now, haven't they?

Not really

I have been through some of the finest military and civilian survival courses there are and my kit gets argued all the time.. Because other than a few true necessities, everything is subjective..

Knife
Fire
Shelter
Water

That is why our packs are very personal things for the most part..

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

DrumsRfun
Pretty sound pack.
I didn't see a tarp,rain poncho or a big garbage bag.

Oddly enough, Garth knows I keep multiple tarps with me, because he has used them when we have gone shooting to make brass cleanup easier.

I wonder if there is a survival edition of luminosity.com... I may need to get him a subscription...

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

He has an extensive First Aid kit in his truck yes....

Tomahawk? I used to swear against them until I got mine.. Now I love it!!!

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

About time you showed up....

And I am not the one needs Luminosity... I have a tarp in my kit..

Thanks for coming in Brother!!!!

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Someone mentioned a "Fire Piston"

Fun to play with

Almost useless for survival

Too many factors with influence how well, or even if, a fire piston works... Humidity, weather, elevation etc...

I have bought them, built them and used them and have found them lacking; especially when compared to a Ferro Rod, Bow Drill and other more reliable ways to start a fire..

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

semperfortis

He has an extensive First Aid kit in his truck yes....

Tomahawk? I used to swear against them until I got mine.. Now I love it!!!

At least he has first aid. I also swore off tomahawks until i did some extensive research, found one with good ratings, bought it, tested it. Now its my sidekick. I never leave home without it. It's the pathfinder school sold one from 2hawks. i friggin love that thing

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Are smart devices / solar power allowed?

Something to scan nearby for wifi devices would be good too, probably... you do not want to go to any area with wifi enabled, I presume.

Am I doing it wrong still?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join