It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shirley Temple dies aged 85

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   
One of Hollywood's greats has died it was announced today , Shirley Temple died of natural causes with her family by her side.

She died on Monday at home in Woodside, California, from natural causes. "She was surrounded by her family and caregivers," a statement said. "We salute her for a life of remarkable achievements as an actor, as a diplomat, and... our beloved mother, grandmother [and] great-grandmother."
www.bbc.co.uk...

Rest in Peace Miss Temple , a legend has passed but the memory will live forever.

I stopped believing in Santa Claus at the age of six when my mother took me to see him in a store and he asked for my autograph.”
Shirley Temple

Obituary: Shirley Temple

Nevertheless, for many across the world, the name Shirley Temple always called to mind a superstar cherub, banging out a tune, bouncing her curls, toe-tapping her tiny feet and representing all that was happiest about childhood

edit on 11-2-2014 by gortex because: edit to add

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Wow, I knew she was old, but I didn't expect her to die yet.

Some of her post-child star work was (and still is) ignored or scoffed at even though it's very good. I really loved her role in That Hagen Girl. It's never had a good reception, but I loved that she broke away from the typecast little sweetheart role and did something darker.

RIP, Shirley

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I watched her movies when I was a small kid and always liked the way she performed. I have great respect for that woman.

May she rest among angels..

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Rest in Peace Shirley Temple! My wee Granny will be devastated.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

She now rides upon the good ship lollipop in the sky.

I know someone who's not going to like this, not like it one bit (pouts and stomps foot).

Nyiah
Some of her post-child star work was (and still is) ignored or scoffed at even though it's very good. I really loved her role in That Hagen Girl. It's never had a good reception, but I loved that she broke away from the typecast little sweetheart role and did something darker.

RIP, Shirley

Remember her "The Bachelor and the Bobby soxer" with Cary Grant (1947)? Touching on illicit love in that one, with a light-hearted touch of course.

edit on 11-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
One of the few Hollywood stars who's passing actually affects me.

Rest in Peace Shirley.

As far as I am concerned, she's forever young.
edit on 11-2-2014 by TDawgRex because: Because it was needed

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Mostly she was exploited.
RIP Shirley!

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

zatara
reply to post by gortex

I watched her movies when I was a small kid and always liked the way she performed. I have great respect for that woman.

May she rest among angels..

I too watched her as a child. An amazing little actress! Good journey dear one.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   
It must be the day for dieing. I died too. A stone to replace my heart and regrets and spite to fill where love was abundant.

RIP Ms Temple. Like everything that becomes lost you remain in memories.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
It is the end of an era. Shocking.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

randyvs
reply to post by gortex

Mostly she was exploited.
RIP Shirley!

You have to respect her ....

As unlike many other *child stars* she did live a life and did not succumb to the

'Hollywood star system' which manipulated and exploited the lives of so many

other young *stars* destroying them and many resulting in an early death or suicide.

RIP Shirley Temple Black.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

Oh I do respect her very much.
Once the studios and her own mother could wring
not one more drop from her on screen charm.

She decided to go ahead and have a life anyway.
I think she just about outlived everybody in Hollywood.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
She was a good person. Remember watching those
movies growing up, when we only had 3 chanels.
Sad day.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

This is a bit hard for me to post here because it makes me sound like a loon but this thread truly made me dizzy and ill. I think this is another one of those "dimensional slips" (or whatever it's called).

I remember my mother absolutely adoring Shirley Temple (I mean she even collected stuff about her) and she always talked about how sad it was that she died young. I even remember people ordering Shirley Temple drinks with a bit of a somber tone and then the conversation would normally touch on the fact that she was no longer alive.

Is this just me?

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I forgot there was a drink named after her. And the Shirley Temple doll was a big craze when it came out. As for your dimensional slip, welcome to this dimension! Here our child stars live long lives. Just ask that guy who played The Beav, or Eddie Munster, or even Mickey Rooney who is probably the last of the generation of kid stars that Temple was a part of.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by Cuervo

I forgot there was a drink named after her. And the Shirley Temple doll was a big craze when it came out. As for your dimensional slip, welcome to this dimension! Here our child stars live long lives. Just ask that guy who played The Beav, or Eddie Munster, or even Mickey Rooney who is probably the last of the generation of kid stars that Temple was a part of.

Hah! I checked the cash in my wallet and all the right presidents are on them so... we're cool, we're cool. For now.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

she always talked about how sad it was that she died young

Are you sure you're not thinking of Judy Garland ? , she died relatively young.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Cuervo
reply to post by gortex

This is a bit hard for me to post here because it makes me sound like a loon but this thread truly made me dizzy and ill. I think this is another one of those "dimensional slips" (or whatever it's called).

I remember my mother absolutely adoring Shirley Temple (I mean she even collected stuff about her) and she always talked about how sad it was that she died young. I even remember people ordering Shirley Temple drinks with a bit of a somber tone and then the conversation would normally touch on the fact that she was no longer alive.

Is this just me?

It is sad. I didn't watch her and I am sad. She trancends generations. My son, who is 8, sees her commercials and thinks she is adorable.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

nixie_nox

Cuervo
reply to post by gortex

Is this just me?

It is sad. I didn't watch her and I am sad. She trancends generations. My son, who is 8, sees her commercials and thinks she is adorable.

I think she was the precursor to the Jon Benet Ramsey-type of little girl modeling contests. There were probably young girl stars ahead of her, but she came along and took both the cutest archetype and the song-and-dance slot.

top topics

join